Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So for the holiday season i was thining of getting adobe photoshop elements. I saw they came out with verison 3.0. whats so much better about this? How does elements compare to the normal photoshop.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Elements Vs. Regular Photoshop

I don't think Photoshop Elements can convert to CMYK mode, among other things. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Unless you're a serious graphic designer or photographer then Elements should suit you fine.

Some of the features in Photoshop that are not included in Elements are (courtesy of cut and paste!):

CMYK and LAB color modes
Channels Palette
Recording Actions (for batch processing)
Adjustments: Curves, Color Balance, Match Color
Layer Masks, Layer Comps, and Quick Mask mode
Extract Filter, Lens Blur Filter
Color Replacement tool
Pen tool and paths palette
Some adjustment layers (curves, color balance, selective color, channel mixer)
Editing History Log
Text on a Path
Advanced Layer Style manipulation
Advanced Color Management
Advanced Web features and ImageReady (rollovers, slicing)

It's also interesting to note that the Mac version doesn't contain the Image Catalogue feature, conceding defeat to iPhoto.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
I use Photoshop Elements 2.0. Perfect for Web graphics, resizing pictures, layers, filters, and most of the regular Photoshop tools (in version 3.0 they added the Healing Tool).

As stated above, only professional graphic designers and photographers have uses for the features in the full version of Photoshop. Oh, the price: 80.00 compared to 600.00.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I ended up getting it, prob because of the sale. Saving money when you can is a good thing! :D
Can't wait to start exploring!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.