Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I completely fail at electricity, and I figured someone here might have an answer for me.

I'm going on a trip this weekend and won't be able to bring a laptop with me. This is a problem because I'd like to bring my iPod, but don't have a wall charger for it and I'm trying to save the ~$30 I see these things going for on the Apple website.

It's my understanding that anything that connects to a computer to charge uses 5V power. I work at a small spy store and we have tons of products that connect to a computer to charge, but some also have a 5V power supply included (a USB cable with a small wall charger are included).

Would it be possible to use my current iPod cable to connect to the 5V power supply that comes with our product to charge my iPod. If not, why?

While were at it, I'm super curious as to why some power supplies are massive while others are so small. We have simple 12v power supplies in my store that are the size of a brownie, while my Presonus Firepod power supply has a huge brick in the middle of it. Could someone explain this to me?

Regards,

Allen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.