Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anglican-Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Earth. I think.
Will the FaceTime camera work with any apps such as skype, or is it restricted to FaceTime only?

I dont have an iPhone 4 yet, but I might be able to upgrade soon. This would be a contributing factor to deciding to upgrade.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Will the FaceTime camera work with any apps such as skype, or is it restricted to FaceTime only?

I dont have an iPhone 4 yet, but I might be able to upgrade soon. This would be a contributing factor to deciding to upgrade.

Skype hasnt been updated to use the front facing camera for video calls. I really hope soon though.
There are a few IM clients and other apps that do take advantage of the camera and allow for videochat without relying just on Facetime.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
You can use the Tango app if the other person has it too and Yahoo messenger also. Those are the only other app that I use. Can't use Skype yet.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I wish Skype would allow for the use of the camera(s). I have many friends over seas that use skype.

Fring, and the like, are only applicable if they have a smart phone and won't work with those on PC/Mac desktops. So that eliminates them for over all usage.

Still waiting.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010

To clarify, there is no such thing as a FaceTime camera. If you're talking about the iPhone 4 camera, it works with any app that supports it. As mentioned above, Skype does not yet.

GodsRedemption

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
it shouldnt be long before skype send an update out so you can use the forward facing camera unless they are having some software issues or apple restrict it from 3rd parties

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
it shouldnt be long before skype send an update out so you can use the forward facing camera unless they are having some software issues or apple restrict it from 3rd parties

did you see my post? took them a year to update to use push notifications. we could be waiting at least that long for them to use on phone cameras.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Can't speak to Skype, but i'm digging Facetime now that the Mac lineups have the capability too. It is so easy to connect and use. Downside is Apple users only...

Seems like a good reason to get non-Apple lovers to switch :cool:

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Can't speak to Skype, but i'm digging Facetime now that the Mac lineups have the capability too. It is so easy to connect and use. Downside is Apple users only...

Seems like a good reason to get non-Apple lovers to switch :cool:

not really, us PC people have had video chatting for decades now

skype + logitech 720p webcam + t3 internet connection on a 24' monitor >>>>> facetime novelty

Last edited:

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
not really, us PC people have had video chatting for decades now

skype + logitech 720p webcam + t3 internet connection on a 24' monitor >>>>> facetime novelty

On the Mac, there is also video chat- iChat- which works well, but is limited to computer to computer.
What's nice about the FaceTime Beta for the Mac is the ability to use it computer to phone or phone to computer. I use it daily and have found it to be a very useful tool for keeping in touch with those far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.