Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
this is annoying the hell out of me, i have sync only checked songs and videos

is that whats causing it? i dont get it

is it possible to have the iphone not sync as soon i plug it in (if itunes is open)?

nyfliiboy

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Look in the preferences and uncheck sync when iphone is connect. >Edit
>Preferences
>Devices
and checked
>Disable automatic syncing on iPhones and iPods

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
iTunes Closed When Plugging In
Open up iTunes and plug in your device. Go to your device in the sidebar. Under the Summary tab, scroll down and uncheck “Open iTunes when this iPod is connected.”

iTunes Open When Plugging In
"Dear valued customer;
Screw you

With love and magic,
Steve Jobs”

Edit: just check “Prevent iPods, ...from syncing automatically"
content

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Careful with this, this could come back to bite you later because I believe this will also prevent the iPod from backing up unless you tell it to do so. Each time an iPod touch/iPhone syncs with a computer it will make a backup, which consists of the following:

Address Book and Address Book favorites.
App Store Application data (except the Application itself, its tmp and Caches folder).
Application settings, preferences, and data.
Autofill for webpages.
CalDAV and subscribed calendar accounts.
Calendar accounts.
Calendar events.
Call history.
Camera Roll (Photos, screenshots, images saved, and videos taken. Videos greater than 2 GB are backed up with iOS 4.0 and later.)
Note: For devices without a camera, Camera Roll is called Saved Photos.
In-app purchases.
Keychain (this includes email account passwords, Wi-Fi passwords, and passwords you enter into websites and some other applications. If you encrypt the backup with iOS 4 and later, the keychain information is transferred to the new device. With an unencrypted backup, the keychain can only be restored to the same iPhone or iPod touch. If you are restoring to a new device with an unencrypted backup, you will need to enter these passwords again.)
List of External Sync Sources (Mobile Me, Exchange ActiveSync).
Location service preferences for apps and websites you have allowed to use your location.
Mail accounts.
Managed Configurations/Profiles. When restoring a backup to a different device, all settings related to the configuration profiles will not be restored (accounts, restrictions, or anything else that can be specified through a configuration profile). Note that accounts and settings that are not associated with a configuration profile will still be restored.
Map bookmarks, recent searches, and the current location displayed in Maps.
Microsoft Exchange account configurations.
Network settings (saved wifi spots, VPN settings, network preferences).
Nike + iPod saved workouts and settings.
Notes.
Offline web application cache/database.
Paired Bluetooth devices (which can only be used if restored to the same phone that did the backup).
Safari bookmarks, cookies, history, offline data, and currently open pages.
Saved suggestion corrections (these are saved automatically as you reject suggested corrections).
SMS and MMS (pictures and video) messages.
Trusted hosts that have certificates that cannot be verified.
Voice memos.
Voicemail token (This is not the Voicemail password, but is used for validation when connecting. This is only restored to a phone with the same phone number on the SIM card).
Wallpapers.
Web clips.
YouTube bookmarks and history.

Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to showcase how important it is to backup your iPod touch/iPhone even if you choose not to sync every time you connect it through iTunes. You can force a manual backup by right-clicking on the iPhone name under Devices and selecting "Back Up" from the context menu.

sir42

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2003
NY, NY
Is there a way to prevent itunes from opening every time I plug my iPhone in BUT automatically sync my iphone if itunes is already open when I plug it in?

I fee like there used to be an option to do this but it's gone in the latest iTunes...

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
iTunes Closed When Plugging In
Open up iTunes and plug in your device. Go to your device in the sidebar. Under the Summary tab, scroll down and uncheck “Open iTunes when this iPod is connected.”

iTunes Open When Plugging In
"Dear valued customer;
Screw you

With love and magic,
Steve Jobs”

Edit: just check “Prevent iPods, ...from syncing automatically"
content

Hilarious...since A) that's expected behavior if you have auto-sync on, and B)So incredibly difficult to turn off. Again, joke of the year.

porcus-belle

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2010
British Columbia
Nothing Stops the Dreaded Synch

I made a huge mistake a few weeks ago. For all the time I've had my iPhone 3 (over 2 years) I have never done any automatic synching but just moved songs and podcasts etc. on and off my phone easy as pie, just dragging and dropping what I wanted. Then a few weeks back I was in a meeting that needed to be recorded and the hand held digital recorder I have broke down so I used my iPhone. Then I had to download it to my computer and the only way I could find is to allow synching.

Since then I have not been able to simply drag and drop. If I drag and drop a song or podcast iTunes busily starts multiple steps and moving all sorts of stuff on and off the iPhone. I'm using a MacBook Pro and iTunes 10 and have followed the suggestions here on MacRumors and other discussion boards - sounds simple just going to preferences the devices and clicking the box with "Prevent iPods, iPhones etc" But the synching still goes on and on and on. And I find that when I try to manually delete stuff on my iPhone I also run into a stonewall -

Does anyone have any other suggestions than the procedure above on how this maddening out-of-control synching can be stopped once and for all? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.