Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Hi

I fancy trying linking my iPhone to my TV to watch rented movies.

I thought that this was done via the TV's HDMI socket, but Apple doesn't appear to sell a suitable lead.

Can anyone advise, please?

Cheers

Phil

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
They sell cable connections with composite and component cables. Since you're talking iPhone-quality videos, you should really just buy the composite cables since EVERY television will have those.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
i'm going to guess that you have standard definition downloads. So composite cables will be fine. You'll have to use your dock if you're using an older model of iphone to export the video.

IF you have a HD video, then go get the component cables.

Note of advice, some standard def content will look bad on a big HDTV.

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
There is an dock connected to VGA adaptor for the iPad, some people say it works with iPhone 4 some people say it doesn't. You can easily get a VGA to HDMI cable.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
There is an dock connected to VGA adaptor for the iPad, some people say it works with iPhone 4 some people say it doesn't. You can easily get a VGA to HDMI cable.

How is this connected to the iPad/iPhone?

I have a composite cable, would this make the picture better

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Do you have a PS3?

Everything I encode (from my own DVD collection of course) with handbrake for my iPhone 4 can also play on my PS3. I have an external drive loaded with these encoded files, as well as most of my music, connected to the PS3 by my TV. I have an audio cable hooked up to my Onkyo receiver if I just want to play some pandora/mp3s with my iPhone.

L33tBox

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Hi all,

Google iPhone 4 HDMI and you will see a Noosy has created a iPhone 4 and iPad HDMI adapter exactly what your require. these are expected to ship early november.

Thanks
Rik

writeholly

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
The issue (for me) isn't the quality issue. HDMI is an overkill, but I am buying a minivan that only has an HDMI input to the video screen and I'd like to be able to hook up an ipod to it to show movies on while driving. My four and two year old don't care about the quality of the video. They just want to be able to see it.

goodday

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Hi there lads!

Got a little problem/question regarding the Dexim DRA022B
Dock with mini HDMI.

Everything works just fine with the Component cable that came with the dock.

BUT I have no sound or picture as soon as I try to use a proper mini HDMI cable (mini-hdmi to mini-hdmi connecting the dock to my Optoma PK301 pico projector).

Nobody addresses this problem, but I would think, that when you have a TV or projector with HDMI input (either standard or mini) you would naturally choose only one cable between your dock and the display device rather than 5 cables of the component.

Therefore I replaced Dexim's component cable and used a proper mini to mini and plugged it into my projector.

And that is where I am and it doesn't work.

Is it because the 3GS (and 4) has only analog component out and the connector on the dock is just a mini HDMI connector and not proper HDMI out, meaning it is still analog and my projector can not pick this source up as it is not a true digital source as HDMI is supposed to be...?

Seems like quite a lot of people on Amazon had similar problems, but everyone just says: Couldn't get any picture nor sound, but no info about the connection cable used..

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

LFSimon

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
Illinois
If you get an Apple TV (iTV) you can play from your iPhone to your TV wireless through Airplay via the Apple TV's HDMI output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.