Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
So, I'm gonna get my first Touch (the only iPod I've had to date is a previous generation Classic 100GB capacity). I waited this long, because I wanted a camera on the Touch (I need it for a specific app), and since the 4G delivered, I am going to buy. That said, I'm slightly disappointed by the quality of the camera. Regardless, I'm getting it. That in turn made me think... well what else could be improved in the next generation of the Touch? So I'm starting a list - feel free to add your wishes - and maybe there's a tiny chance Apple is paying attention. Now, let's try to keep it realistic, and also, is it the kind of improvement that would make you sell the 4G you just bought to buy the new 5G? Anyhow, here we go - just a few realistic options:

1)Better camera for photos - I don't know how much better it could get, because the Touch is awfully thin... so maybe just a slight improvement, but hey, anything is better than this bottom of the barrel.

2)LED flash for the camera

3)GPS chip

4)Vibration alert

5)Oleophobic coating on the screen

Minor improvements - nice to have, but not something that would make me sell the 4G and rush out to get the 5G:

6)Better screen - more on par with the iPhone

7)More RAM - at least up to 512MB

8)Higher capacity - 128GB

Feel free to add to this list... Apple is listening!!

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Hey, tablo13 I think you are right - I was thinking of adding "refine the body", also, making the fit and finish a bit better around the edges so it doesn't collect dirt/dust and have those sharpish snaggies. Good point, tablo13!

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I was hoping the fourth revision would be able to place me into a virtual iWorld - would be great for gaming. Oh well, maybe they will introduce this in the 5th gen.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I want them to make the next version from a cuboid of glass. Like the unibody process, but with glass instead of aluminum.

barny

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
Near London, England
I have a 2g ipod Touch and find that a big problem is that the screen always rotates when u dont want to and on iOS 4 on this particular iPod, there is no option for orientation lock. Also on the newer version there is an option but my suggestion would be to add a button like on the iphone for easier orientation locking.:apple:

Manikstor

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
So, I'm gonna get my first Touch (the only iPod I've had to date is a previous generation Classic 100GB capacity). I waited this long, because I wanted a camera on the Touch (I need it for a specific app), and since the 4G delivered, I am going to buy. That said, I'm slightly disappointed by the quality of the camera. Regardless, I'm getting it. That in turn made me think... well what else could be improved in the next generation of the Touch? So I'm starting a list - feel free to add your wishes - and maybe there's a tiny chance Apple is paying attention. Now, let's try to keep it realistic, and also, is it the kind of improvement that would make you sell the 4G you just bought to buy the new 5G? Anyhow, here we go - just a few realistic options:

1)Better camera for photos - I don't know how much better it could get, because the Touch is awfully thin... so maybe just a slight improvement, but hey, anything is better than this bottom of the barrel.

3)GPS chip

4)Vibration alert

Minor improvements - nice to have, but not something that would make me sell the 4G and rush out to get the 5G:

what you have described here pretty much sounds like an iphone. I think the ipod touch 4g is good as it is. It's an ipod not a camera or a gps. therefor in my OPINION it should stay as it is, maybe add a silencer button :p

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Gah, I'm so tired of people complaining about the camera.

It's an iPod, not a freaking DSLR.

Me too. But it is a CRAPPY BLEEPING camera. :D

Seriously, why do people always say, something along the lines... what, you want a DSLR. I've read that sort of thing a hundreds of times on ipod boards. Its looney.

I really like my iPT4 but there is no way an informed person can honestly say that the Still Camera is good at all. If the Still Camera is NOT crap, then someone show me a digital Still Camera being made and sold today that is crap. At least then, I will know what crap is.

As for the 5th Touch wishlist:
More bleeping RAM. This gets my goat a lot more than the crappy cam. The RAM affects me every day. Maybe not significantly but it slows me down. The camera, blah... it doesn't bug me much.
The rounded over edge, I'd change that to be more squared like the iPhone but thinner.
Better Cam.
As always, faster CPU.
Android OS. LOL. :D Kidding.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I think the first thing I would change is the back, make it something more scratch resistant, this thing scratches as soon as you touched it.

Make cases/accessories available at launch at the same time as the iPod, the fact that cases don't start arriving until a month later is ridiculous.

More RAM

Obviously a GPS chip. But honestly that doesn't do me much good, as I still need to connect to the internet for those check in apps and pretty much any other function that uses GPS. The GPS does not really function on its own, it needs a 24/7 always on internet connection. So unless it comes with some type of very very cheap always on internet connection and a GPS (since I can't afford much in the way of monthly bills), its not doing me much good. I really don't think apple will give the touch an always on internet connection, as that would basically make it an iPhone and encroach on their sales of that product.

Am I the only one who isn't complaining about the camera, I think its fine. My mobile pictures come out better than 99% of my friends pic's on facebook. The pictures show up as big pics and not as a tiny thumbnail. It can take video that is way better than my first gen flip video, which I will be getting rid of. Overall this device does exactly what I want it to do.

If I want to take a lot of good quality pics I use my digital camera, if I want to take a quick pic in good lighting I use my iPod.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
Bigger screen around 4" to 4.3"

Deeper blacks and wider color gamut

better speaker (louder, like on my BB)

selectable delay for keyboarding so that accidentally touching a "key" doesn't cause a keypress action.

LONGER BATTERY LIFE!!!! (make the damn thing thicker thicker if need be, but give us longer battery life! I can't go all day on a charge, but my BB sure can)

autofocusing 3MP camera (back)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Not happening...
iPod touch had just major bump from screen resolution, A4 chip and two cameras.

Apple is very slow with moving forward in iPod touch because there are barely any competitions for it. You will see iPod touch going to 199 dollars at base price and maybe maybe get 16GB base model, but all of you guys are dreaming about GPS and etc...

Wake up.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Me too. But it is a CRAPPY BLEEPING camera. :D

Seriously, why do people always say, something along the lines... what, you want a DSLR. I've read that sort of thing a hundreds of times on ipod boards. Its looney.

I really like my iPT4 but there is no way an informed person can honestly say that the Still Camera is good at all. If the Still Camera is NOT crap, then someone show me a digital Still Camera being made and sold today that is crap. At least then, I will know what crap is.

As for the 5th Touch wishlist:
More bleeping RAM. This gets my goat a lot more than the crappy cam. The RAM affects me every day. Maybe not significantly but it slows me down. The camera, blah... it doesn't bug me much.
The rounded over edge, I'd change that to be more squared like the iPhone but thinner.
Better Cam.
As always, faster CPU.
Android OS. LOL. :D Kidding.

Find me a Mp3 player that has two cameras.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010

3)GPS chip

4)Vibration alert

Let' see you want all of those features for 200 dollars base price? 128GB? lol
You make me laugh. So, iPod touch should have more memory than iPad and MBA? Base MBA start with 64GB storage. If you get all of those features, iPod touch prices will double or triple.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Obviously, things like 128GB capacity is an "out there" wish, for sometime in case flash memory prices drop dramatically (which they will, one day).

I'm talking about making the list realistic, which is why I only included the 128GB thing as a distant "maybe, if possible" option.

As to GPS - no, you don't need "always on" internet for that... after all, you have GPS units out there not connected to a cell signal or the internet - of course maps could be an issue, but even that is not necessarily so, since you can download maps and have them available on the Touch as reference; now granted, some apps may not work with just the satellite GPS, but it's still a very useful thing as is.

I agree with the larger screen - that would be awesome, but I'm afraid probably not that realistic, if we don't want to sacrifice battery life. And battery life is very important - so that's a tradeoff. Naturally, if there is some breakthrough in battery science, I'd be extremely happy. Unfortunately, progress on batteries is sloooooow... all the extended battery time we're getting from various Apple products is down to two things: making the devices more energy efficient - so not really increasing the strength of the battery, but decreasing the demand on its power, thus making it last longer, and two, increasing the size of the battery, so again, not really making the battery better, just making it bigger. Now that's not 100% true, there is some incremental improvement to the chemistry, but it's pretty weak if you compare it to Moore's Law in chips. While the power of chips doubled every 18 months (well, at least until the last few years), batteries have improved only incrementally by a few percentage points every few years... pathetic.

Anyhow, somehow I got distracted. Bottom line: sure, greater battery life would be great, but I'm not sure that can be squared with having a bigger screen at the same time.

astrosinmyeyes

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Vienna, Austria
My 2 cents

Next update MUST HAVES:

Bigger screen-13 inches or so
Faster RAM- 8 GB minimum
25 megapixel camera
30 square foot cinema quality projector
retractable keyboard
blue-ray player
3d screen
back massager
self cleansing spork
defibrillator
7 different colors and flavors...........
Come on Steve its not too much to ask is it??????????

(If you want an ipod touch buy an ipod touch, if you want an iphone buy an iphone, if you want an iswiss army knife multiuse gadget, just wait for the November 31 'Special Event').

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
lol @ people complaining about the iPod touch screen. It's the same exact resolution and pixel density, but it doesn't have great viewing angles. Who cares.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The screen is fine for me, I have no problems with the size. I thought it would seem smaller than the screen on the PSP but it really doesn't, probably because the resolution is higher. I like to watch subtitled videos and I can read the subtitles just fine. I can also see my song lyrics just fine and I really need to see the lyrics. The retina display does need more black, but its not a dealbreaker by any means. The best thing about the retina display is text is very very clear, I can read the smallest text.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.

3)GPS chip

4)Vibration alert

GPS
A nicer screen coat would be good also.
Something more scratch resistant for the back, maybe glass or matte?
No offense, but Apple is almost 99% positively going to keep the steel. They've done it for four generations, they won't change. Plus, the stainless steel isn't keeping anyone from buying, IMO.

chocboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
I'd like to see an iPad-like 3G service for the iPod. If they really want to make it a personal-computer like thing, 3G service should be available. This would also allow you to do an app-based calling plan, like Skype or Google Voice, only paying for the 3G service. I think that, if they put effort into it, the apple nerds could squeeze a 3G internet hardware modification in, raising the price about 50-100 dollars more.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
More of the same really. The only things I don't like on my iPod is the capacity (64gb is too small), the rear camera and the lack of compass.

The same display and vibration motor as the iPhone would also be nice.

I doubt we'll see it for years but an option for mobile data (similar to the 3G iPads) would be great, if a little unfeasible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.