Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtracy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
About a week ago I created my first iMovie Movie Trailer using the template and uploaded it to YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axYh3Qzj_xg

Today I received an email from Google/YouTube asking me to provide them with documentation that I have the right to use the music that is in the movie trailer. Does Apple address this anywhere? Any advice on how I should respond?

Thanks.

jtracy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Yes, the music is part of the movie trailers template in iMovie 11.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Without being flippant, I'd tell them that it's part of the iMovie 11 templates supplied by Apple Inc and direct them to Apple Legal.

You could always check the Software Licence Agreement.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just a thought. That maybe they have an algorithm seeing a rise in certain music tracks being used in YouTube videos which is I suppose what you would get with a new single release and if YouTube doesn't have the rights to use it then they send an automatic email since it's impossible for all the different around the world to have created the same composition.

On the other hand I might be completely bonkers.

Since Steve has pretty much said that this can be used for sharing with your friends family etc. then I would say you have the rights to use it.

For example the jingles that come with Final Cut Suite can be used in videos that make money without any copyright issues. I think I have even heard a garageband composition in a Gucci ad!

Send back a snotty but professional reply. I'd like to see the reply!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I know there's a page somewhere in the Soundtrack Pro manual that talks about copywrite of the audio loops inside it. Unfortunately I don't think iMovie has a 500 page manual. But the point is that Apple included that information with the 'pro' programs. Chances are it exists for the iLife verions as well, they just don't print it all out for you.

I'd try calling Apple and asking them if they have it hidden somewhere on their website. I have no idea but my gut reaction is that they meant for this stuff to go on Youtube so they probably have that written down somewhere.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I'd try calling Apple and asking them if they have it hidden somewhere on their website. I have no idea but my gut reaction is that they meant for this stuff to go on Youtube so they probably have that written down somewhere.

I could only fine the EULA agreement for iMovie '09 when I looked.

jtracy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Update: MartinX hit the nail on the head with the online link to Apple Legal. The iLife document clearly states that the music and sounds that come with the program can be used, Royalty Free, in any projects. I included a link to the licensing agreement and Google/YouTube accepted my response. Thank you, everyone, for your input on this.

If you get a similar email, simply direct them to item 2C in the iLife legal document from the link MartinX posted earlier in this thread.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
Excellent thread...thank you!

Update: MartinX hit the nail on the head with the online link to Apple Legal. The iLife document clearly states that the music and sounds that come with the program can be used, Royalty Free, in any projects. I included a link to the licensing agreement and Google/YouTube accepted my response. Thank you, everyone, for your input on this.

If you get a similar email, simply direct them to item 2C in the iLife legal document from the link MartinX posted earlier in this thread.

Excellent thread...thank you! Got the same thing for using a trailer with the James Bond Theme...

Zmmin3

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2009
I am glad I found this old but verrry helpful thread. I didnt know what to do concerning the same thing concerning music from Imovie 11 I used in making a video.

Jarvis Emerald

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Monetize Videos Made using iMovie Trailer?

Hey Guys,

Do you know if it is Legal and acceptable to charge for videos made using iMovie. I Believe the music is fine...but is Apple cool if I charge $ for creating a video, using Trailers iMovie Templates, to a customer or participant in my Business Model ? The END always includes in the title "MADE using iMove & Company Name". Anyone?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Music has copyright protection if you use other peoples work. Trailer is fine as long as you do not include any Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.