Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I have the new AppleTV. Preordered it and all.

I don't think I have once played a movie without the thing skipping and having serious loading issues from my iTunes Library.

If I play a 720p video I have that I've purchased from iTunes it skips and has to buffer every 5 minutes. So I let it sit paused for the buffer to be a reasonable size. Never fails, it'll just skip again in 10-15 minutes.

However, I rented an HD movie from iTunes directly from the box and that played without skipping once.

So I'm thinking it's something to do with my Mac Pro or something is screwy with Home Sharing. I've turned Home Sharing off and back on, on both devices. That didn't solve it. I've even tried switching all the crap on my Airport Express to try to improve things. I get 5/5 bars in the network setup area.

I just don't get what is causing this thing to have issues like this.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Are you using 802.11n?

I was able to improve streaming issues by changing WiFi channels. Try each one to see if it fixes your issue. I later improved upon that by getting a dual-band router and using 5GHz.

gks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Are you using 802.11n?

I was able to improve streaming issues by changing WiFi channels. Try each one to see if it fixes your issue. I later improved upon that by getting a dual-band router and using 5GHz.

I'm using 802.11n (2.4ghz). My Airport supports the 5ghz mode, but not dual band. I have a few devices (such as my iPhone 4) that won't work on the 5ghz band.

I really don't think it's the router though because I've put it on the 5ghz only mode and that didn't improve things either. I'm also certainly NOT going to buy another Apple product if this is what I should be expecting. This thing is trash and I should've returned the pile of garbage after it wasn't working in the first place. It feels like shoddy programming or shoddy hardware on Apple's part. And why haven't we seen a software update for this thing? there's no way in hell it is bug free out of the box.

Anyone want a pile of **** Apple TV?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
OK, I get that you're annoyed. I don't care if you buy more Apple stuff. I'm just trying to be nice and help you out.

Give the different WiFi channels a try. Sometimes there's interference on certain channels. That's what helped my iTunes streaming issue with my gen 1 Apple TV. I haven't had any streaming issues with my gen 2 Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.