Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I've seen apps for printing to real printers (PrintCentral) but I haven't owned a printer in five years. I always print everything from my Mac to a PDF (build in on a Mac) and I want to do the same on my iPad. If I ever need a hard copy I can print the PDF at work or a business center.

Any ideas?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I've seen apps for printing to real printers (PrintCentral) but I haven't owned a printer in five years. I always print everything from my Mac to a PDF (build in on a Mac) and I want to do the same on my iPad. If I ever need a hard copy I can print the PDF at work or a business center.

Any ideas?

I believe Goodreader will do this. Just paste the URL into Goodreader and it is a PDF. I am not positive though as I really haven't used it for that purpose.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I think there's one called ACTPrinter or something along those lines :)

Thanks but this is the opposite of what I am looking for! It prints from a Mac to an iPhone/iPad/iTouch.

I want to print from an iPad and save it locally and then transfer it to a Mac!

sud

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Thanks but this is the opposite of what I am looking for! It prints from a Mac to an iPhone/iPad/iTouch.

I want to print from an iPad and save it locally and then transfer it to a Mac!

Im looking for this exact feature, pls let us know if you find an app that can do precisely that.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006

Any ideas?

I've read somewhere that in OS 4.0 it will allow printing but not sure if the new OS can print as PDF to store locally on iPad. I haven't seen any printing app that does this. But there are a few apps that allows to Save As PDF (Goodreader, scanning apps, writing apps etc) so it's possible to save/print as PDF.

I don't know what or where your original source file is, but if it's just a few pages, can you not screen capture to camera roll by pressing the home and on/off switch and then transfer on to a Mac later?

AndyWR

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Printing web pages to PDF

Hi guys,

I have found this quite helpful. There are times when I see a site that has content that instapaper does not render at all (cnet articles). So using my fav PDF manager for iPad (fast PDF) I access the built in browser and head http://www.web2pdfconvert.com paste the URL of the article and click the convert button. After a few seconds I am given the URL of the new PDF and I downloaded into my fast PDF library

I hope this helps someone.

th1nk.d1ff3r3nt

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I too was looking for this feature. I wanted to print to PDF a web page of a receipt of something that I just purchased. this is something that I do all the time on my macs. The closest thing that I could find is to do a screen grab, press the home button and the power button. the screen will flash and make the camera shutter sound. A file is saved to the camera roll which can then be synced via iTunes.

hopefully there will be something in ios4.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
I too was looking for this feature. I wanted to print to PDF a web page of a receipt of something that I just purchased. this is something that I do all the time on my macs. The closest thing that I could find is to do a screen grab, press the home button and the power button. the screen will flash and make the camera shutter sound. A file is saved to the camera roll which can then be synced via iTunes.

hopefully there will be something in ios4.

Yeah, copying a URL into goodreader or a web2pdf site wouldn't work very well for receipts as they tend to be a dynamic link.

What I have done is copy the web page (the whole page or just the pertinent info) and emailed it to my evernote email address. If you don't use evernote, just email it to yourself. This method does a reasonable job of keeping the format the same as well.

Joliprint

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
How to print to PDF on iPad

Hi,

You can use the Joliprint bookmark to print PDF on iPad Safari. See installation instructions here:
Http://joliprint.com/iPad

Put @myPDF in a message on Twitter is another way of printing PDF on iPad. You need to follow @myPDF first. Very handy to print PDF from every iPad App (like NYTimes, FlipBoard, Pulse, Reeder... ) just by tweeting the URL. See instructions here:
Http://joliprint.com/myPDF

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Search Save2PDF in the app store. Just bought the iPhone version. Tested making a web page into a PDF, and then I saved it to Goodreader. Very handy.

kchamussy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Hello everyone,

I'm the developer of 'Print to PDF', an iPhone/iPad app allows you to quickly save entire emails and web pages to PDF by using the built-in Print functionality on your device.*

To print an email or web page you need to simply launch the app to start the printer, go to the Mail or Safari apps and use the 'Print' function to save your information as PDF!

Here is the link to the app:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/print-to-pdf/id444081172?mt=8

We hope you will find the app useful. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.*

Cheers,

Enrique
Print to PDF

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use Save2PDF. Launch the app, exit, then print from your app. A PDF print engine will appear as a selectable printer from any app. Works great. No jail brake necessary.

loox

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
@kchamussy has hit a home run with his app....

I first thought it was a scam app... Too good to be true... But the app has 5 out of 5 ratings so I took the plunge and bought the app.

It was also featured in New and Noteworthy by Apple, which added to my confidence.

It does what it says..... Just like the adobe printer installed with acrobat, this installs the same exact thing so you can print from anywhere. I tried it on safari on several sites... One password protected, one that Instapaper gets wrong, and another that Is a game walkthrough whose maps have a transparency layer that most printers, including PDF printers, cannot come sage for. This app, Print To PDF, which is relatively new (which is why we haven't heard of it before) handled all three with aplomb... Including the walkthrough, which now has map images instead of blank space.

YES! Finally!!!

As a side note, it also partially makes up for the ipad2's crappy rear camera... As many on the apple support fora have noted, not only are the images grainy on the screen (to some extent and depending on lighting)... The graininess becomes enhanced exponentially during the saving/compression process, making them unusable as images, and even less so as scanned documents; and forget about OCR.

Apple can fix this with a firmware upgrade, but now we have a workaround! You can use the video camera (no graininess) and or the screen capture function to bypass the borked compression and print it directly to a PDF, allowing OCR to work on "scanned" iPad 2 images!!!

Finally, an app that is too good to be true, really is truly good.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Save2PDF

Save2PDF works as both a file manager with folder heiarchy and prints any web page email attachment and from within other apps.

The files can be HTML, Excel, PowerPoint, existing PDF, Word Docs, just about anything I've encountered thus far.

Simply open and work with the doc in any app that is displaying your current file format, select the arrow button and say Print, a new drop down appears that let's you select Save2PdF as the printer.

Once in Save2PDF, you can rename the file and save it into a previous folder or create one during saving, supports drag n drop with files within the app too.

The files are now converted if previously a word doc, now shows as a PDF and can be annotated from there in another app like Handy Sign then emailed or sent back to Save2PDF or GoodReader for storage till later.

JHBDragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
Hi,

You can use the Joliprint bookmark to print PDF on iPad Safari. See installation instructions here:
Http://joliprint.com/iPad

Put @myPDF in a message on Twitter is another way of printing PDF on iPad. You need to follow @myPDF first. Very handy to print PDF from every iPad App (like NYTimes, FlipBoard, Pulse, Reeder... ) just by tweeting the URL. See instructions here:
Http://joliprint.com/myPDF

Joliprint works very well with Dropbox http://db.tt/MhhU14W to save your pdf's in. Im very happy with this solution.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
It's nice to see a developer come in here with a suggestion. It is not nice to see what appears to be his cronie coming in to "rate" his app.

Lagranger

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Another vote for 'Print to PDF'

[fwiw, I might add that I have absolutely no connection/communication with the developer of this app. I'm just a customer]

I recently bought 'Print to PDF' while researching a related solution for a friend. Just so it's clear, this app will allow you to produce a PDF on the device itself without having to use a companion PC/Mac. As long as the 'Print to PDF' app is running in the background, any other AirPrint-compatible app (i.e. any app that has a built-in 'Print' function) can print to it and have it produce a PDF which can then be emailed or opened in other apps.

[I *believe* this app is essentially creating a temporary AirPrint server on the iOS device itself, so in effect when you print something, it's being sent to a virtual printer on a local loopback interface]

About the only notable limitation is that it will only run in the background for 10 minutes before you have to switch back to the app to keep it running. ** I'm nearly positive this is an Apple-enforced restriction and not something the app developer has any control over **

In a nutshell, it allows you to accomplish something that Mac OSX has had since the beginning: The ability to save any print job as a PDF. Naturally, I wish Apple had also included this ability in iOS, but props to the 'Print to PDF' developer for coming up with a way to do this anyway.

mcw0933

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
I recently bought 'Print to PDF' while researching a related solution for a friend. Just so it's clear, this app will allow you to produce a PDF on the device itself without having to use a companion PC/Mac. As long as the 'Print to PDF' app is running in the background, any other AirPrint-compatible app (i.e. any app that has a built-in 'Print' function) can print to it and have it produce a PDF which can then be emailed or opened in other apps.

I am unable to find the Print To PDF app in the app store. The link provided by the developer is not working. Searches on "Print To PDF" (quotes included) in both AppShopper and the app store are not returning any results with that name.

Has this app been pulled from the app store? Do I have the name wrong? Are there any alternatives to this and Save2PDF?

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I am unable to find the Print To PDF app in the app store. The link provided by the developer is not working. Searches on "Print To PDF" (quotes included) in both AppShopper and the app store are not returning any results with that name.

Has this app been pulled from the app store? Do I have the name wrong? Are there any alternatives to this and Save2PDF?

App was pulled from the store by Apple...too bad, really, it works great and I don't know of any similarly functioning apps.

http://www.printtopdfapp.com/

If it's a web page you are trying to print, you can copy the URL to Goodreader and save it to PDF from there.

mcw0933

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
App was pulled from the store by Apple...too bad, really, it works great and I don't know of any similarly functioning apps.

http://www.printtopdfapp.com/

If it's a web page you are trying to print, you can copy the URL to Goodreader and save it to PDF from there.

Thanks @seajay96. Unfortunately these other options (Joliprint, GoodReader) aren't able to do what I need. I mostly want this capability for documenting receipts, travel and hotel bookings, etc, where you'd at least have to log in again to get to the target page, if you could even do that much. Saving pages to read later in GoodReader isn't what I'm trying to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.