Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
What's the best stylus for the iPad for handwriting? I had the Pogostylus and lost it. It had a fuzzy end and was a little hard for writing. I was hoping for a stylus with a less "squishy" end so its easier for writing. Anything better than Pogostylus?

Thanks

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I like my box wave stylus

It's closer to the size of a normal pen and uses a rubber tip that slides along the screen nicely.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Almost everyone agrees the Pogo stylus isn't that great. There is a long, ongoing thread, probably on this very page where many options are discussed.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
In the "pointy" thread I posted the below. While more pricey than the boxwave, I would pick it hands down as the comfort is better for me.

I really like Hard Candy's new stylus. Not pointy but has a similar (same?) rubber tip that boxwave and targus I belive do. It seems a little more flexible than my boxwaves (which I prefer greatly over the pogo).

I like it better because it is longer and more substantial. And the cap protects the rubber stylus tip. If you don't like fat pens, you won't like this. But it is more comfortable than the boxwaves (which I find to be a tad too short to be perfect, though narrowness is OK).

Like the fischer space bullet pen, one problem is what to do with the cap when using it. If you put it on the other end I am sure it will eventually put marks in it. Not a huge deal, and true of most capped pens, just worth a mention.

By far my favorite iPad stylus (tried both pogos, some cheapy knockoffs, the obagis, and the boxwave)

http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-ipad-stylus.html

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Thanks for posting that Treebark. I've been using the Pogo exclusively, but I'm in the market for something new. The Pogo was fine, but now the foam shape is all distorted and it's difficult to use. Sometimes the screen won't pick it up, etc.

I was looking at the BoxWave, but this Hard Candy one looks awesome. I like the dual function. Do the caps, once removed, fit on the other end to lengthen the pen?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What do you guys think of this stylus? http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Apple-C...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288998403&sr=8-1-spell

its cheaper and has solid reviews and maybe from the pictures looks less clunky in my hand than the box wave. I just am afraid of getting one and then scratching my screen that's all.

Appears to be identical to the Targus stylus available at Best Buy, etc.

Mods, this thread should really be combined with the other 'best stylus' thread already on-going.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
... Do the caps, once removed, fit on the other end to lengthen the pen?

Yeah, but not super snuggy unless you press it down. But I would be afraid it would eventually mark up the chrome, so I just sit it up on the table.

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I currenly have the Pogo one and enjoy it. Depending on the app you're able to be smooth or thick on the drawing/writing. My only complaint is that the clip is easy to break.

But I'm going to look into the boxwave one. Thanks for posting it.

I Am Canadian

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
Ya I think I'm gonna get the Tarus one

Tried Pogo sketch for a day and really disliked the "straight up" angle I was forced to write at. Any change in angle would result in missed words. Returned it the next day.

Just bought the Targus Stylus and it is so forgiving and easy to use...especially with Penultimate. Only wish it was not so light and had an inch more length. For less than half the price of the Pogo you can't go wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.