Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hakkera

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to a Aluminium iMac, and am just about to offload my trusty PowerMac G5 onto another member of my family. However, I was just re-installing a blank copy of OS X when some very strange things happened:

I put the 10.5 CD in the drive and restarted the computer, the mac loading screen was present for about five minutes, during this time, the fans on the computer really picked up speed - it sounded like the whole thing was trying to take of, which would have been no mean feat when you consider the weight of these things. After about 15 minutes, I gave up and turned the system off - just pressed the power button - not at the plug or anything...

Since that moment, the CD drive does not appear to work - I put a CD it, it chugs for a while then spits it out about two minutes later, and I've just had the machine freeze on me. Just after this again, the fans went bananas and the machine tried to take off.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong and how I should go about fixing it?

Thanks for any help

Edd

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Which model G5 is this? Have you checked the disc for scratches and is it a Retail Black DVD of Leopard or is it the gray color disc that came with your iMac as that will not work.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
could it be that the dvd drive is broken. if you had no OS on the HDD then it has no valid boot drive. do you have a replacment you could swap in?

maximo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
That sounds like exactly the same symptoms I had when my CD drive stopped working.

Hakkera

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I initially tried using a copy of the 10.5 CD - this was supplied to me when I bought the machine. I gave up with that and used an official apple version of the 10.4.2 OS. Neither of these are working.

It's the PowerMac G5 Cypher - 2.0GHZ Dual Core, with the PCI-E Graphics card hole.

This sounds exactly like a broken drive? Nuts. Are they expensive? I was hoping that I could do something to fix it myself...

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Like others said, it's probably your CD drive then. Those are cheap and are very easy to replace yourself. You can get any IDE DVD-RW drive and they cost sub $30 with shipping online. Newegg is a good place to get them.

There are 2 levers that you need to open up and then it slides out. You can push down the optical bay door and use your finger to push on the optical drive if you need more leverage because they do sometimes "stick" in there.

I am curious though why the fans would run rampant as I don't remember that happening when my DVD burner stopped reading DVDs all together. Can you disconnect the DVD drive and see if it still boots up just fine? Assuming you still have a bootable OS installed on the HDD? Or does that only happen when trying to boot off the restore CD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.