Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atavision

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Not sure what happened here, I have posted a couple of other
threads on this subject, hoping someone out there has seen/knows
about this problem.

My iPhone was working like a champ for the first week I've had it
until today. I let the charge go completely down to where it
shut itself off. I put it on the charger and NOTHING.

it's been charging for over 5 hours now, direct to wall plug, not
thru the cradle. It's just dead, I can't get it to do anything.
Is there a way to reboot it (like with an iPod)?

anybody out there seen this one?

mikahopity

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
(I have to ask)

Have you tried more than one plug? Are you sure that plug is functioning correctly?

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Well have you tried to reset it? Holding down the home button and the button on the top till you eventually get the apple logo on screen?

On another point, I think it's not a good idea to ever drain your battery. I believe this is posted in multiple places.

Not sure what happened here, I have posted a couple of other
threads on this subject, hoping someone out there has seen/knows
about this problem.

My iPhone was working like a champ for the first week I've had it
until today. I let the charge go completely down to where it
shut itself off. I put it on the charger and NOTHING.

it's been charging for over 5 hours now, direct to wall plug, not
thru the cradle. It's just dead, I can't get it to do anything.
Is there a way to reboot it (like with an iPod)?

anybody out there seen this one?

eescabar

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (ipwn: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

I had a friend who's charger died. His iphone wasn't totally dead but it would not charge. We tried my adapter and it worked.

On a side note. Has anyone else noticed that there are two different charging cables one with buttons, like the ipod, and one with out buttons... Ie it doesn't lock in the port?

atavision

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Solution, sort of...

Well I eventually called the AT&T iPhone tech line (actually very helpful people on there) and they told me what jecapaga offered as advice, to simply reboot as it were the iPhone. That was the fix for me, but the tech person told me they've been getting a lot of calls on the same problem, that the iPhone just quits while it's being charged, doesn't appear to be taking the charge, but is really taking it.

They told me that this is something that Apple is currently working on a fix for, so I'm not the only one that has experienced it. They are also working on a battery fix, the one that is all over these forums, how the "little plug" doesn't show up so it looks like the iPhone never fully charges.

thanks to those of you who posted ideas on this one and thanks to jecapaga for posting the solution (when in doubt, reboot), it came too late to help me, but it will undoubtedly help others with this problem.

atavision

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
oh, a final note on chargers...

sorry, I forgot to address eescabar's comment on the connecting wire.
Yes, I have one of each, one that has the little buttons on the side to lock the charging wire in place (that comes with the iPod) and the other one (that came with my iPhone) that doesn't. Also, have you noticed that the iPod wall charger is slightly larger than the one that comes with the iPhone. They all work fine tho. and life.

dsdnyc

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2007
A dead iphone may be exactly that- DEAD.

A dead iphone may be exactly that- DEAD.

I had my iphone a couple of weeks and it worked perfectly. I loved it. Then yesterday, I took it out of my pocket, realized immediately that it was very warm, and discovered, to my horror that the phone was dead. Black screen. No amount of button combinations, chargers, USB connections, or itune/computer restarts could get the phone to work. Apple Tech couldn't get it to work either. They agreed to fix it.

Now, this morning, the phone, now cool to the touch, started up when I hit the power button, but checking email, the type was garbled, and fuzzy- sick looking. Two seconds later, the phone froze,this time in ON mode. No amount of button pushing would turn it off. I even removed my sim card, but the phone remained stuck ON, getting hotter and hotter. Two hours later, the phone went DEAD.

Apple has promised to replace the phone with a loaner, at no charge, and either fix it, or send me a new phone. They were not so specific about my options if the second phone dies. From where I sit, my old NOKIA is looking better and better.

David

Malvern1111

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
mikahopity. Many thanks for your post regarding the home button and power button combination. You may have just saved an Apple employee getting their head chewed off by me.

I had the same problem as dsdnyc, the phone was very warm after taking it from my pocket.

Now, I swore I would never have an Apple product after working with a Mac for 10 years and hating every day of it. I was hoping the iPhone wouldn't leave me with the same bitter taste in my mouth...it is starting to.

Ashley2987

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
This kind of happened to me, I didn't plug my phone in before I went to bed 3 nights after I got my 3G. The next morning it would not turn on, and did not respond to me attempting to charge it for a couple of hours. I went to Apple and they told me that it shorted out & replaced it. A few days ago my replacement black out too..wouldnt turn on, nothing happened. Apple charged it for a couple of minutes and the screen showed up again. Damn phone is causing me more trouble than my 5 hour wait for it was worth!

aarby

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Mine died too... but I reset it.

If anyone comes across this thread like I did, they might want to try a reset first. Mine was working fine with about 20% battery life... then bang. Black screen, no charging would wake it up from mains or usb.

I read somewhere else that you should toggle the "hold" switch [above the volume buttons] back and forward twice. Then hold down the home button and the power button (at the top) for atleast 6 seconds (as you would to do a soft reset when the iPhone is actually working).

Once I let go after about 7 or 8 seconds, the Apple logo came up and it got itself back together in less than a minute.

I'm pretty stoked that I don't have to send it into the shop to get looked at... can't imagine a day without it.

=]

Hope this helps someone... :D

DJ

kristinjconfer

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
resetting a dead iphone works!!!

thank you so much for the advice. i'm just leaving to return home from a vacation and was dreading traveling without it.

i pushed the home button and the on/off button at the same time. about 8 seconds later the apple icon appeared and the phone was back in business.

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

macpalm

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks

just had the same problem. have had my iphone for a week and i just suddenly went dead, black screen... no response..

I just pushed the two buttons at the same time and it re-booted.. works fine now.

M

macfem

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
The first iPhone I had (I've had 3), locked often and I finally took it in and they just replaced it. I suggest you do the same if it keeps happening. I love my iPhone, I don't care how many times it breaks (or I break it).
wink.gif

Reardan12406457

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
Dead iPhone Fix Worked

My 2-week old iPhone died too. Did the soft reset as described in earlier replies and it seems to have worked. Thanks for the help!

Ballzy

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
All hail jecapaca.

I had the same problem. Reboot solved the problem.

Thanks!

Egern0

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
Nice...

...I was going out of my nut due to "dead" iPhone until reading this thread. Big up, guys.

/Egern0

slcw1969

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
toggling "hold switch" when batteries appears dead.

If anyone comes across this thread like I did, they might want to try a reset first. Mine was working fine with about 20% battery life... then bang. Black screen, no charging would wake it up from mains or usb.

I read somewhere else that you should toggle the "hold" switch [above the volume buttons] back and forward twice. Then hold down the home button and the power button (at the top) for atleast 6 seconds (as you would to do a soft reset when the iPhone is actually working).

Once I let go after about 7 or 8 seconds, the Apple logo came up and it got itself back together in less than a minute.

I'm pretty stoked that I don't have to send it into the shop to get looked at... can't imagine a day without it.

=]

DJ

so happy now.. saved me a trip to the store or where ever i was going to end up. never heard of toggling the mute switch until this post. Hadn't found that anywhere else. mine and my husband's iphone died in the car. i was getting ready to charge mine and plugged it in with the at&t car charger and my phone was completely dead. would not show charging at all. i used my husbands to phone to make a call and then plugged it in to see if it would charge his phone. it fried his phone as well. could not reboot by holding on off button and home button together. tried that with both phones multiple times. read this post about toggling hold switch twice and then holding power button and home button and it worked. phone's apple came up and did it's thing. took twice with husband's phone.

now my question has to do with using the car charger again. now i'm afraid to plug in the car charger and try again with my phone. the car was already started and running when i plugged the charger in and then the phone in to the charger. has anyone experienced anything like this?

thank you to the person who shared this information after reading it themselves.

renman67

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
my 3Gs locked up and i tried holding both buttons and toggling the ring/vibrate switch on the side and now all is good again.
Props to all you guys who contribute to forums like these. beats running to a service place and having them rape your wallet..

Awesome
Renman

fritsveer

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
We are writing this morning, very early, for me at least when i noticed It happened to me also. Iphone 4! latest software.
Background:
Put it with 75% battery on a bed-site table. (no charger, and all programs closed)
Next morning no life!
(Re)charging worked,tried 4 different chargers! :)

After the holding both home and the top button for 5-10 seconds (thanks for the tip!!) it came back to life (50% battery left).

Hope this windows-like attitude does not happen very often to my beloved iPhone 4!

Markitos21

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2010
back to life

thank you so much for the advice. i'm just leaving to return home from a vacation and was dreading traveling without it.

i pushed the home button and the on/off button at the same time. about 8 seconds later the apple icon appeared and the phone was back in business.

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I read ur post and ...
THANK YOU KRISTIN ! it worked =)

Maeiou

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
Hi

I have the same problem as everyone does on this thread..
Im aware of "the holding the home and switch button" together method..
But heres the thing,, my switch button does not work and to be able to lock my phone, i had to download the "activator" app from cydia which only works when the phone is on..

I could not make my iphone work and its pissing me off that i wann jst throw it away.. i dont mind wasting time to go somewhere to repair this but im broke. lol

anyone had this problem before?

=]

DJ

Syndicate829

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
Same Problem HERE!!

I got my 3G 2 years ago with Applecare. The contract ended 2 days ago, then my iphone went dead... Dead. Everything was fine in the morning, wrote some e-mails, text and checked out the score on my Fantasy Football. Put the phone in my pocket, left the office and got in my car. The phone is dead...
Called Applecare, but they told me I am SOL, then came to this thread. Everything is FINE for now...
Thank You!!

Terre

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
Akron, Ohio
The first iPhone I had (I've had 3), locked often and I finally took it in and they just replaced it. I suggest you do the same if it keeps happening. I love my iPhone, I don't care how many times it breaks (or I break it). Image

Totally agree ... love the iPhone ! The home + power button worked for me If it dies beyond any fix I can do, running right up to the store to get a replacement. Love It !!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.