Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fru

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Got the first 70mb downloaded at about 6MBps but now it's slowed right down to 200kbps and direct downloading isn't any faster.

Looks like this is gonna take a while.:confused:

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I got a 1013 error when updating my iPhone 4. Its stuck in recovery mode. I decided to download the 4.2.1 update on its own, but now its saying the server Apple servers are down.

Looks like no phone until later...

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Although the 3GS is old there is no reason Apple shouldn't support 'Find my iPhone' on it as its still a current device running the latest software with all features still enabled, and most importantly Apple still market and sell it!

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
Setup the "Find my iPad" service on my iPad, then was able to use the same MobileMe account to find my iPhone 3GS. Not sure if I could have started this on my iPhone 3Gs, but at the very least, Apple is only requiring you to have one current generation device, and still allowing you to find them all.

You got that working? It's been hours since I verified the account and my iPad still says it is not verified.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Ok - printing to Windows shared HP printer was working under 4.2GM not working under 4.2.1 release on either iPad or iPhone.
:mad:

At least read the change log before you complain. AirPrint only works with ePrint compatible printers...no just any shared printers.

HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer—C410
HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series—C310
HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer series—B210
HP ENVY 100 e-All-in-One Printer Series—D410
HP Photosmart eStation Printer series—C510

I can't find the printing either.

I can't find the printing either.

Do you have an ePrint printer and did you find something to print?

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Just updated my iPod Touch 4g, and the free "Find My iPod" is a nice bonus. Though a bit scary to see me via internet sitting here on my couch :D

It seems a savvy finder could simply turn off Location Services to defeat this feature (?)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
So I successfully updated both my iPhone 4 and my Apple TV. I tested out airplay with 4.2 on my iPhone 4 and with iTunes. Can airplay video from both. But there are some odd omissions/bugs:

1. When airplaying video from iphone 4: All videos in the iPod App, videos section, can be airplayed with no problem. However, for videos in the "photos" app (ie: videos you've recently taken with your iPhone camera), there is simply no airplay button. The still photos have an airplay button, and can be airplayed to your ATV with no problem. But the videos cannot. This is odd and disappointing for me, because this was the feature I was most excited about: Taking a video of my 7-month-old son with my iPhone 4 at one point during the day, then airplaying it to the ATV to show my wife and others later in the day, without having to bother to synch my iphone to my computer, put the video into iTunes, and navigate to it on the ATV.

2. iPhoto videos: The recent iTunes and ATV2 updates supposedly enable you to see the videos that are in your mac's iphoto library when you go to the photos section of your homeshared computer on the ATV2. Well, the videos are now visible amongst your photos in the appropriate events on the ATV2 (whereas they weren't before), but when I try to play the video on the ATV2 it starts to buffer, starts to play, and then immediately stops and I get a "there was en error loading this content". In a couple cases it made the apple tv reboot. I guess there is a bug either in iPhoto, iTunes, or the latest ATV2 update. The functionality is clearly built in now, but it doesn't work.

You can in fact only airplay video from the iPod app, in no other app does it work. In other apps the only possibility is to airplay the sound over to the ATV. That seriously sucks and I hope that will be fixed with updates to those apps. Hopefully they also update Safari to allow it to Airplay video for live streams. Right now Airplay is a massive disappointment.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Although the 3GS is old there is no reason Apple shouldn't support 'Find my iPhone' on it as its still a current device running the latest software with all features still enabled, and most importantly Apple still market and sell it!

agreed, it just makes things a little more simple - just support all iOS4.2 devices unless there's a technical reason why they can't. Hopefully they'll change their minds.

P.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
You can in fact only airplay video from the iPod app, in no other app does it work. In other apps the only possibility is to airplay the sound over to the ATV. That seriously sucks and I hope that will be fixed with updates to those apps. Hopefully they also update Safari to allow it to Airplay video for live streams. Right now Airplay is a massive disappointment.
You can AirPlay from the YouTube app also. But your point is well taken. This is technology that's yet to be fully realized. As other developers update their apps to take advantage of AirPlay, I think it will be incredible.

For now, it's nice to be able to AirPlay Pandora. That's something.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
You can AirPlay from the YouTube app also. But your point is well taken. This is technology that's yet to be fully realized. As other developers update their apps to take advantage of AirPlay, I think it will be incredible.

For now, it's nice to be able to AirPlay Pandora. That's something.

Agreed Youtube and Pandora is nice. But I really hope it'll work with Zumocast (that's the big one for me).

Also, to the guy asking about Airplay for Mac OS X, not unless the Airfoil team does something neat. The next closest thing is Zumocast/Drive.

Jbaffoh

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Hawaii
AirPrint Still Works On Shared Printers...

At least read the change log before you complain. AirPrint only works with ePrint compatible printers...no just any shared printers.

HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer—C410
HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series—C310
HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer series—B210
HP ENVY 100 e-All-in-One Printer Series—D410
HP Photosmart eStation Printer series—C510

Do you have an ePrint printer and did you find something to print?

Using MacOS 10.6.5 and iOS 4.2.1, I can still print to my shared Brother laser MFC. You just need to add the three CUPS files from the 10.6.5 betas (542 works).

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Just updated my iPod Touch 4g, and the free "Find My iPod" is a nice bonus. Though a bit scary to see me via internet sitting here on my couch :D

It seems a savvy finder could simply turn off Location Services to defeat this feature (?)

You can activate "General -> Restrictions" and restrict "Accounts"..... This means you need to unrestrict to make changes to your accounts, but how often do you do that?

Truth be told, a good thief will shut the device off and wipe it as soon as possible. The service is really only good for three things:

1) You lost your phone and you want to find it before a thief does who will shut it off.

2) You lost your phone and you want to keep a snooping finder out with remote lock or remote wipe (thief or not).

3) You want to track your kids with the "Accounts" settings restricted.

Its not going to stop somebody who only cares about stealing your device, wiping it and reselling it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
You can activate "General -> Restrictions" and restrict "Accounts"..... This means you need to unrestrict to make changes to your accounts, but how often do you do that?

Thanks for the tip, I've put that on now and that really does solve my concern - although I'd like to see Apple put something in place themselves.

Eolian

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010

Truth be told, a good thief will shut the device off and wipe it as soon as possible. The service is really only good for three things:

1) You lost your phone and you want to find it before a thief does who will shut it off.

2) You lost your phone and you want to keep a snooping finder out with remote lock or remote wipe (thief or not).

3) You want to track your kids with the "Accounts" settings restricted.

Its not going to stop somebody who only cares about stealing your device, wiping it and reselling it.

Good points. I'm grateful that Apple's provided this; I can see it could be very handy even in limited circumstances.

As an aside, aren't there hardware signatures that could still identify a device location even after it's been "wiped"?

I'd always thought the "Find my Device" feature was deeper-rooted than allowing software disabling :eek:

Jbaffoh

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Hawaii
Find My iPhone not working?

I have a paid MobileMe family plan, and find my iPhone always worked on our phones, which consist of a 3G, 3GS, and three 4's. Now, the only response I get is, "No Location Available."

Hmmm, I can't seem to log into the MM website, either.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Print function is under the "share" arrow at the bottom of Safari, and in Email, for starters.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I really like all my Apple products, but crap like restricting the free Find my Phone and the new SMS tones to only iPhone 4 hardware is really starting to piss me off.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Find my iPhone IS available for the 3G and 3GS. Just find a friend with a 4, or go to an Apple store and borrow a phone for 5 min to set it up. If you lose the phone, you won't be using the app on the phone, only on your computer.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)

Do you have the 1.1 Find my iPhone? Released today? You need it.

iPhoneFour

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I am filled with a dangerous amount of disappointment right now.

Don't worry it's not like they changed any hardware settings or anything. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to call Apple's Customer Support. My iPad's orientation switch stopped working after I updated. Strange. :rolleyes:

jhCanuck

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
canada
Clarifying ring tone issue in IOS 4.2.1

Apple's page devoted to explaining the features of IOS 4.2 states:

Messaging with text tones
Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list.

Having upgraded the IOS for my 3GS, i don't find any of those options.

It might help, from a PR point of view, for Apple to make it clear at the outset that certain features of this new OS apply only to the iPhone 4 -- rather than have so many of us find out the hard way and feel confused about the matter.

My basic question is this: is there any technical reason why the 3G or 3GS can not have additional text tones?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple's page devoted to explaining the features of IOS 4.2 states:

Messaging with text tones
Know who’s texting without looking at your screen. Choose from 17 new alerts and assign custom tones for people in your contact list.

Having upgraded the IOS for my 3GS, i don't find any of those options.

It might help, from a PR point of view, for Apple to make it clear at the outset that certain features of this new OS apply only to the iPhone 4 -- rather than have so many of us find out the hard way and feel confused about the matter.

You've not quoted the REALLY important part:

"Messaging with text tones

iPhone only."

Note that it doesn't say "iPhone 4 only" - it just says iPhone. They really should correct that as it's misleading.

My basic question is this: is there any technical reason why the 3G or 3GS can not have additional text tones?

No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.