Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danieca20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
So I'm new in this forum and I've got a HUGE problem with Youtube and my iBook G4 that started recently.

Whenever I enter to Youtube and start loading any video, the system crashes, not only Safari but any application that is open at the time.

I've uninstalled and installed Flash Player, updated the system and Safari as well as tried using another browser (Firefox) with no results.

When I disable Javascript from Safari the system does not crash and another thing I noticed is that I can watch embedded videos on other pages but not directly on Youtube.

Any solutions please?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
So I'm new in this forum and I've got a HUGE problem with Youtube and my iBook G4 that started recently.

Whenever I enter to Youtube and start loading any video, the system crashes, not only Safari but any application that is open at the time.

I've uninstalled and installed Flash Player, updated the system and Safari as well as tried using another browser (Firefox) with no results.

When I disable Javascript from Safari the system does not crash and another thing I noticed is that I can watch embedded videos on other pages but not directly on Youtube.

Any solutions please?

Welcome to the love-hate relationship with Apple and Adobe. Try m.youtube.com or try the html5 version of youtube. Flash and Macs(especially older ones) don't go together too well.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What specific iBook do you have?

Look for the Model Identifier here (#3) and report back.
4707069290_6547e29211_b.jpg

As it is a G4 iBook, it most likely isn't cut out to watch YouTube videos anymore. But try that HTML5 beta advised above and maybe even ClickToFlash.

Btw, what Mac OS X and Safari version are on it?

danieca20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Wow you guys are quick, thanks for the response

Mac Os X 10.4.11
PowerBook6,7

I'm a little confused since I could play videos on Youtube just yesterday so I don't know what happened.

So there is no solution? :(

boogers

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Adobe made machine dependent versions of flash which were forgotten.
If you take the time, it's on John McDowell's old blog somewhere or in an internet archive.

danieca20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Adobe made machine dependent versions of flash which were forgotten.
If you take the time, it's on John McDowell's old blog somewhere or in an internet archive.

Hey do you happen to have the address of his old blog? I googled it with no results :(

Thanks in advance

danieca20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
So, Flash is working fine everywhere else?

Hi, as far as I know it is. In fact I have ClickToFlash and it works fine in embedded videos (whenever I click them) and I also tried it in the beemp3 sound thingy.

I don't know what's wrong

As for now I'm using HTML5 for youtube

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Weird. Does it happen in safe mode? Note that Quartz Extreme will be disabled with a safe boot, so YouTube will be really choppy until your next reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.