Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerodoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
After downloading several apps, I then synced. I had it set to not sync apps though since i have a ton from the phone During the sync it said deleting apps. I was like, naaaah...but it deleted all apps.

I was able to then manually pick out the apps I had before and resync, but all the app settings were gone. So now I am afraid to sync my phone. I don't get how apple decoupled iPod iPad and iPhone apps.

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
Just set it to sync apps, then it will keep all your apps on both locations, as well as let you choose which ones to sync.

Ak8s

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
make sure you transfer purchases

Can you explain what this means please? I'm new to itunes and have purchased some apps in anticipation of my ipad coming in later this month. I would be very upset if it deleted what I bought instead of putting them on the device!

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
when syncing it will say would you like to transfer purchases. it takes the apps and puts them in itunes. tho while syncing if its not in itunes, itunes will stupidly delete them.

ApplEngineer

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Ok, a little upset right now. I went to sync some photos, I had previously synced my iPad and had sync apps unchecked and now that I synced the photos it deleted all my apps. Not just that, I had goodreader and had uploaded a bunch of pdf's in folders, now I have to manually create those folders again and upload the pdfs!

And why doesn't iTunes allow you to filter between iPad apps and iPhone apps, who would have thought that maybe I don't want to sync iPhone apps to my iPad.

Ok, just had to vent with this annoyance.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
And why doesn't iTunes allow you to filter between iPad apps and iPhone apps, who would have thought that maybe I don't want to sync iPhone apps to my iPad.

iTunes does let you do this. Click on your iPad icon in iTunes and select the "Apps" tab, click the Sync Apps button and then selection only those iPad apps that you want transferred. Don't check off the iPhones apps you don't want.

cinthia

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
iTunes does let you do this. Click on your iPad icon in iTunes and select the "Apps" tab, click the Sync Apps button and then selection only those iPad apps that you want transferred. Don't check off the iPhones apps you don't want.

No, iTunes is supposed to do this - but it does not. I too have hundreds of iphone apps that I don't want even synced to my iPhone always. I spent hours this past week having to weed through apps, only to have to do it again each time I sync either iphone OR ipad. iTunes is simply not remembering the different set ups. I guess it's a bug. Please report it to Apple folks, as will I.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
No, iTunes is supposed to do this - but it does not.

It works fine for me. Moreover, if I delete an unwanted iPhone app from the iPad, iTunes remembers and does not try and sync it back. If it's a bug, it's not universal.

A.

Woofumdust

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
How mine got deleted too

I lost my apps too, but this is what I think happened:

I bought the apps from the apps store using the iPad. When I plugged in the iPad to my Mac Book, it auto synced and I think it then put the apps on the Mac. I don't think I ever clicked on sync apps. So later when I setup my photos to sync and pressed sync on the Mac, it removed the apps and I lost me data for them.

My assumption is that the auto sync put the apps on the Mac, but when I did a sync from the Mac, it deleted them because the apps sync was not checked.

Glad I found out before I created lots of data!

Mike

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
It works fine for me. Moreover, if I delete an unwanted iPhone app from the iPad, iTunes remembers and does not try and sync it back. If it's a bug, it's not universal.

A.

It works fine for me too. Plug in device, click apps tab on iTunes, check/uncheck, slide apps around to different pages, sync. Plug in next device, repeat.

On subsequent syncs, it remembers which apps go with which devices. You can even keep apps off all your devices, but still in iTunes (for later use.) iTunes also lets you sync the same app to multiple devices if you want.

ppawelski

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Can't select sync apps

My wife's new iPad came yesterday. We had the same problem. She did the initial link to Itunes w/o registering it. She then installed apps directly on the Ipad. Later that evening, she asked me to sync some movies we have and only the movies. I set ITunes to do not auto sync and attached the Ipad. I had to register it at that point. I went to the movies sync tab. It allowed me to check sync & check the movies I wanted to sync. I went to apps. When I tried to check the sync box, it went grey, but did not let me select any of the apps.

When I hit sync, ITunes copied the apps from the Ipad to Itunes and then copied the movies form ITunes to the Ipad. IT THEN DELETED THE APPS ON THE IPAD. I hooked the IPad up to the PC again. I still could not get the check box to change on sync apps so I did not sync. My wife is now afraid to sync because she doesn't want to have to reinstall her apps again.

Do I have to change to sync all once to get everything correct? The IPad does not have enough memory to sync all the movies and apps if it tries to sync all the Itouch apps.

Pherball66

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
I had the same issue when I first set up my iPad. What it was doing is seeing the iPad as an iPhone. Look on the summary tab when you connect it and see if it refers to iPad or iPhone. Mine kept taking my apps off and would not even let me sync any iPad apps, then the next time it would see it as an iPad and put them back on.
I reinstalled iTunes but that didn't work, restored the iPad and changed the USB port from the front USB to one of the ones on the back directly on the motherboard and that worked. I think the USB port had the best effect with it because now the backups on my iPhone and iPad are extremely fast. Before, it would take forever to back it up.

Good luck

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I experienced a similar situation. Got my new iPad. Did the initial sync and went off to play with it. There were some apps I didn't want to I deleted them from the iPad. (Click hold delete)

Then I thought I wanted to check out the photos on the iPad so I went to sync photos.

When it synced it mentioned something about deleting apps whicj I thought was fair enough - i deleted some...

But it seems it deleted quite a few apps. Looks like all the ones I had recently added (via iTunes the night before.)

Not sure what happened. But it might have something to do with selecting the photos as mentioned by a previous poster...

Glenn.

toby23

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
If you have an iphone and haven't yet synched the iPad apps that you have downloaded to your iPad with itunes.

1. Click on 'File' in the apple menu bar on the desktop, not in itunes.
2. Select 'Transfer Purchases from iPad' before synching. This will copy your purchases/ apps to itunes first.

Then you can select which apps to sync next time in itunes.
Good Luck!

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
i guess it is going to take some time to work out the quirks that happen in iPad world.

Seems apps I buy in iTunes and download never make it over to the iPad with the exception of the initial sync.

Just bought fieldrunners and synced and it ain't there. not in the list of apps in iTunes either.

Downloading it on the iPad.

Ismail.S

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
I Pad Help PLS

hi all
1.please assist in simplest form..new to the IPad and i sat whole week downloading applications (most free) ....today when i was transfering music from my computer to Ipad ...i synced and a message appeared but immediatly all applcations began dissapering from Ipad and in seconds all applications were gone...how do i recover these applications ? please assist
tried searing computer ,nothing,receycle bin ...nothing ...how cud this just happen

2. when i try downloading directly from ipad its says cant download ...use computer to complete download

3. why itunes keeps on asking to "authorise computer" as when its alredy done and when i click OK it accepts that computer laready authorised :confused:

BMWFahrer

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
This helped me!

What I did and helped me was, when you plug in your iPad then appears a window saying, to transfer or not to transfer the purchased iPad apps, so, I clicked on Not To Transfer, but the most important thing is to tick the option saying "Do Not Ask Me Again", and quickly unplugged your iPad, in order to prevent the iTunes erasing of your apps.

Then, re-plug in you iPad to your mac, and if you have ticked other syncing options as iCal, iPhoto, and that stuff, iTunes will sync just this stuff. Another important thing is that, after doing this your apps bought in the iPad app store will not be transferred to you mac.

pixeltarian

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
if you want to be safe...
just right click your ipad (in itunes) and select "transfer purchases" before you do anything.

radoncmike

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
If you have an iphone and haven't yet synched the iPad apps that you have downloaded to your iPad with itunes.

2. Select 'Transfer Purchases from iPad' before synching. This will copy your purchases/ apps to itunes first.

Good Luck!

THIS WORKED FOR ME!!! Avoided all the headache!!!

I had activated (but not registered) my new iPad on my work computer. My wife and little girl have been using the iPad without even needing to plug it into a computer. However, due to the new iOS update (multi-tasking!!), I had to hook up to my computer at home... installed iTunes, registered (bla bla bla).
Before I updated I wanted to back up everything. (After clicking on my iPad device in iTunes) I noticed when I clicked the "sync apps" check box, the bar at the bottom of the screen (indicating the space used on my iPad) would change to show no apps AND I was not offered a list of apps to (check off and) sync! This scared me into looking for a solution online...

Fortunately the advice quoted above fixed this problem for me... After Transferring the purchases from iPad I was allowed to select apps to sync (although I couldn't find a way to check all and had to 'down-arrow,' 'space bar' about 40 times; and YES I did try the shift+click thing to select all the apps at onece but when I pushed 'space bar' only one check box was checked... Gawd!)

Summary: Ubuntu Linux scientific programmer, forced to use Windows 7 on my eeePC 1201N to update my Apple iPad so my wife can listen to Pandora while browsing the web.

Last edited:

MissYogini

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Austin, TX
Syncing Purchases made from iPad before you have Sync enabled

Good Luck!

This worked for me.

Just to clarify, in step 1 you choose 'File' from the iTunes menu not the apple menu. That is where you will find the Transfer Purchases command. Alternately you can right click on the iPad in iTunes and find the Transfer Purchases command.

Thank you so much!!!

MacDK86

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Get this thing fixed now!!! Fuocking rotten apple...

I had 12 gb. data of all kind all deleted when i just plugged the ipad to my mac... a lot of work, dairy and alle settings and stuff is deleted. of cource the backup enables me to install the apps again. But get this fuoking thing fixed now rotten apple!!!

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
The sync function for App is really stupid. After I connected to itune, it add all my purchased but deleted apps back to my iphone. What on earth does this sync function mean?

nomada

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
iPad mishandles syncing

I have often found sync click boxes clicked when I did not do it. Maybe they purposely do it after an update. I don't know. For me, it means loss of all my files. I have little disk space on my mac, so I've been going through re-downloading purchases, copying to the ipad, then deleting from my mac.

Then when you notice a sync checkbox checked, and uncheck it, it insists on deleting all from the ipad. WHY? And what happened to the true idea of a synchronization. It should not just be one way, that the ipad or ipod matches up to the mac. I'm getting the impression that Apple strongly wants all our stuff only in the cloud, so we cannot control what we own. WHY?

This is about enough for me to end my love affair with ipad/ipod. And if it gets worse, with Mac altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.