Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaiak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I've been trying to download and install 4.2 for about 3 hours now. It says it'll take about 89 minutes to download, but when it gets to about 65, it says the network connection could not be reached.

Is this something that has to do with my Internet connection, or is it a problem with Apple's servers?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've been trying to download and install 4.2 for about 3 hours now. It says it'll take about 89 minutes to download, but when it gets to about 65, it says the network connection could not be reached.

Is this something that has to do with my Internet connection, or is it a problem with Apple's servers?

That will be your connection. I downloaded the updates for iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPad all in about 5 minutes, combined.

kaiak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I don't really think my Internet connection is that slow, however. I can load webpages and everything pretty quickly... :\

Any idea with the network timeout?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Pause the download, then restart it. Every once in a while, you will a connection to a bad connection, and pausing and restarting will usually fix it.

TEG

fuseone

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
im having the same problem the one for the ipad went fast now for my iphone its going slow.

ArsDigitalis

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Got some problems downloading but finally it is already here but I cannot sync it.
Is taking more than an hour and counting. DOn't know what to do?

xxRONNIExx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
California
Im having the exact same problem...its been over 2 hrs now. So I stopped it and Im trying a restore which has been over 1 hour now..:confused:

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
5min to download at home for ipad.

60min to download for iphone for friend at work.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I spent past 2 hours to download except constantly getting error after 10-20 mins... Starts out with 2 hour estimte which gets to 3 then 4 hours...

kaiak

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
I'm actually at my grandparent's house for Thanksgiving. I tried it again this morning and now it's about halfway done and it hasn't quit yet. We did turn the wifi off last night, so maybe I just needed to reboot the connection. I suppose I'll know in about 40 minutes, haha.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Hmmmm, only took me a few minutes to download and update
And I updated an iPhone 4 and an iPad

Probably your internet. It also took me only a few minutes, download took about 3 to finish and rest 10 or so in updating iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.