Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I've enabled Find my iPhone on my iPhone 3G and it displays on the map within MobileMe and receives messages as directed.

The problem is that the phone doesn't seem to update its position inspite of saying on the map that it updated "2 minutes ago".

Any ideas?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've enabled Find my iPhone on my iPhone 3G and it displays on the map within MobileMe and receives messages as directed.

The problem is that the phone doesn't seem to update its position inspite of saying on the map that it updated "2 minutes ago".

Any ideas?

Have you refreshed the map?

As noted by "twelve56", Find My iPhone works on demand.

It doesn't automatically update the iPhone's location on a periodic basis.

When you go to me.com/find or the iOS App, MobileMe will send a request to your iPhone (or iPad etc.) telling it to work out its location (using GPS if possible) and to send it back to them.

Once the device works out its location and sends it to MobileMe, it wont do anything else unless you tell Find My iPhone to do something (like refresh the map, Remote Wipe, Lock etc.)

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
As noted by "twelve56", Find My iPhone works on demand.

It doesn't automatically update the iPhone's location on a periodic basis.

I'm aware of that. The problem is the location doesn't update at all.

It is still stuck in one location inspite of me being 20 miles away, holding the phone and going to me.com/find. Still showing the original location.

I can send a message now problem and the map says it has recently update the location. Yet it stays in the old location.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm aware of that. The problem is the location doesn't update at all.

It is still stuck in one location inspite of me being 20 miles away, holding the phone and going to me.com/find. Still showing the original location.

I can send a message now problem and the map says it has recently update the location. Yet it stays in the old location.

Some questions:

- What sort of network is the iPhone 3G connected to? 2G? 3G? Wi-Fi?
- If you go in to the Maps app on the phone, where does the phone think it is?
- How wide is the location accuracy it is giving for your phone?

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Some questions:

- What sort of network is the iPhone 3G connected to? 2G? 3G? Wi-Fi?
- If you go in to the Maps app on the phone, where does the phone think it is?
- How wide is the location accuracy it is giving for your phone?

3G network with WiFI off. When I tried the Maps app as you recommended the accuracy was approx. the whole city.

So the lesson seems to be that if it cannot fetch new GPS coords and is not connected to WiFI then it uses the last known GPS location, which in my case was taken a few days ago.

Thanks Dave. :)

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
iPhone 3G

Find my iPhone is only intneded for iPhone 4, iPad, and iPod 4th generation.

That could be why you are having issues.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
3G network with WiFI off. When I tried the Maps app as you recommended the accuracy was approx. the whole city.

So the lesson seems to be that if it cannot fetch new GPS coords and is not connected to WiFI then it uses the last known GPS location, which in my case was taken a few days ago.

Thanks Dave. :)

I'd expect it to be able to use the cellular network to determine where it is - a little odd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.