Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vermont

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
Hello Guys!!

I need really really big help now!!! I just restore my Iphone 3g to factory default, and then wanted to Restore backup.. but then, I forgot my backup password that I set!

is there anyway to reset or find out the password? because I have the phone data, and message that is really important for me.. please help me!

and thank you for reading this message!

regards,

Tom

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
No, there is no way. If there was, what would be the purpose of being able to encrypt your backup if someone could just reset it? You'll need to restore your phone as new, and then resync everything you synced. But you've lost your SMS and game saves.

So, next time, either don't forget the password, or don't encrypt.

vermont

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2009
No, there is no way. If there was, what would be the purpose of being able to encrypt your backup if someone could just reset it? You'll need to restore your phone as new, and then resync everything you synced. But you've lost your SMS and game saves.

oh.. gosh... so there is no way? please anyone can help? I do not mind to pay for the information that you would share to me... as long as I can get back my data and notes... please for those that knows any info help me out...

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK

True. However is there no way OP can search his computer for the backup files and go from there...? Decryption program etc.

Also perhaps there is a way of recovering data from the device, but with the full restore process all data is wiped forever i think, and written over? If not, it would still be recoverable on the phone.

I'd love to be wrong, for OP's sake.

Jase04

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Save your backup

I did the same thing!

Luckily I had saved the password, maybe you did to, I'll tell you how to find it.

Click on the spotlight in the upper right (looks like a magnifying glass) and type in "Keychain Access"

When spotlight finds "keychain access" click on it to open the keychain access

In the upper right of Keychain Access you'll see a search box, type in iPhone Backup

When it finds iPhone Backup click on it and a box will open

Click the box for "show password" and if the password for your backup will show up.

dubblethink

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
That worked!

Jase04, you're awesome!
Viewing the password in Keychain Access worked perfectly. Thanks for posting that. You saved me, and I'm sure many others, from a huge headache.

Cheers,
dubblethink

Blakeb120

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
keychaine access not working

Im trying to restore to a back up and forgotten password. one thread said the acces "keychainne Access" through spotlight but I cant access the spotlight feature on itunes. what should be active? do I access it through the device or what.

any and all help appricieated

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I cant access the spotlight feature on itunes. what should be active? do I access it through the device or what.
Spotlight search is not an iTunes feature. It's an OS X feature. Top-right of your menu bar.
Or just look for Keychain Access in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder... on a Mac.

strawberry831

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Covington, LA
Encrypt iPhone backup - Forgot Password

Okay, so I read all the threads, and I see where if you have a Mac, you can go into the keychain and maybe find your password there. Unfortunately, the computer the problem iTunes is on is a PC. So, my question is...if I transfer iTunes from the PC to a Mac, would I then be able to access the password through keychain, or would the backup have to have been originally done on the Mac for this?

Alternatively, I have seen a thread where you can access the root files, but you have to be on a Mac, so if the above will not work, if I transfer the iTunes from the PC to a Mac, would I be able to get access to the files, i.e., the address book backup, etc.?

I also downloaded the iPhone Explorer software, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Am I correct in my understanding that even if the files are not showing on the iPhone, the information is still stored somewhere on the iPhone, and I may be able to find the files that way?

si69j2

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
The short answer is

Okay, so I read all the threads, and I see where if you have a Mac, you can go into the keychain and maybe find your password there. Unfortunately, the computer the problem iTunes is on is a PC. So, my question is...if I transfer iTunes from the PC to a Mac, would I then be able to access the password through keychain, or would the backup have to have been originally done on the Mac for this?
?

You're screwed... If you're on a PC then you don't have a key chain or spotlight lol. Not helpful I know.

If you encrypted the backup then no you can't get access to it without the password, as stated on previous posts. I can only suggest you think a little harder and try and remember the password or post your question on a windows forum as perhaps there will be someone who can help you there.

If you've done a restore then the files are gone! So even if you could view the folders on the phone they wouldn't contain anything.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

PS if you can't remember try using the PIN for you phone as the password!

nivh

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Hi,
Unfortunately, I clicked on the magnifying lens, and I searched for Keychain Access. When I typed in iPhone Backup, nothing appeared. That's strange.

Does that mean that the password wasn't saved? Or perhaps Keychain Access was not activated/enabled?

FYI: I just backed-up my phone an hour ago, but it never prompted me for a password. Then I upgraded. When I went to restore, that's when it asked me for a password, but I didn't enter one...perhaps I entered one on a previous back-up??

....any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

birdhead

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Iphone backup

Try putting in your iTunes account's Password when you sync ..just worked for me, but i don't think I ever encrypted it and I have a PC.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Between Keychain Access's password it had, and 1Password, this saved my bacon - thanks!

jlshultz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
How do I change my password for future backups

So, I was proactive and tried the password before I reset my phone and found that I do not remember it (and it's not stored anywhere for me). So at this point I don't care about the existing backups. I have tried deleting them and still iTunes encrypts all new backups with a password that I can't remember. How do I change the password without knowing the existing password?

jlshultz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
So, I was proactive and tried the password before I reset my phone and found that I do not remember it (and it's not stored anywhere for me). So at this point I don't care about the existing backups. I have tried deleting them and still iTunes encrypts all new backups with a password that I can't remember. How do I change the password without knowing the existing password?

I just got off of the phone with Apple Care Support, no love. Nothing can be done, the password is stored in the iPhone and even though I have my phone it's unlocked/fully usable and I have my iTunes that I sync my iPhone with, I can't do anything without that password. So I'm going to reset my iPhone and lose a bunch of stuff. This Apple is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth!

micah87

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Possible Solution

Hey Everyone,

I think i may have found an unusual solution. I keep a lot of sensitive information on my iphone. therefore, i require a pin code (password) to access the phone. By doing this, i unknowingly encrypted the backup process. So this morning i had to replace my phone, plugged in the new phone and it said i needed the backup password to proceed with the backup. Not remembering that i ever created a password, i became frustrated and tried every password i ever used that i could remember. Finally i searched google for some answers, and found none. as i was about to give up, my fiance suggested to use my phone pin, and VOILA! So, fellow iphone users, if you require a pin code for the phone - that is also your backup password!

-Micah

okibi1

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Hey Everyone,

I think i may have found an unusual solution. I keep a lot of sensitive information on my iphone. therefore, i require a pin code (password) to access the phone. By doing this, i unknowingly encrypted the backup process. So this morning i had to replace my phone, plugged in the new phone and it said i needed the backup password to proceed with the backup. Not remembering that i ever created a password, i became frustrated and tried every password i ever used that i could remember. Finally i searched google for some answers, and found none. as i was about to give up, my fiance suggested to use my phone pin, and VOILA! So, fellow iphone users, if you require a pin code for the phone - that is also your backup password!

-Micah

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I was entering every password I could remember, and then read this, tried it, and it worked!!

iphonekobe

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Another Possible Solution

I also had the same problem when needing to restore my iPhone from backup. I'd set the password on my iPhone backup many years ago and restored my phone from backup a few times over that period. However this time I found my password no longer worked, nor any combination I could possibly think of.

I ended up downloading the free trial version of Elcomsoft iPhone Password Breaker, created a custom dictionary list with all possible passwords and combinations and words I could think of and set it to maximum mutations. Within 30 seconds it came back and said it had found my password, however I would have to buy the full version for the password to be revealed to me. However, it did show me the first 2 characters and the length of the password and I was able to guess from there.

The password ended up being my name in lower case, which is also the name of my iPhone in iTunes, i.e. "Kobe's iPhone". There is no way on earth I ever would have set my name as my password, so my best guess it that iTunes changed my password during one upgrade or another. I don't have a PIN set on my phone like the other people above do, so this could be another variation of iTunes setting your password for you. Needless to say, I've now changed my password back to something more secure.

Hopefully this info will help other people in a similar situation.

Sepp321

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks

I also had the same problem when needing to restore my iPhone from backup. I'd set the password on my iPhone backup many years ago and restored my phone from backup a few times over that period. However this time I found my password no longer worked, nor any combination I could possibly think of.

I ended up downloading the free trial version of Elcomsoft iPhone Password Breaker, created a custom dictionary list with all possible passwords and combinations and words I could think of and set it to maximum mutations. Within 30 seconds it came back and said it had found my password, however I would have to buy the full version for the password to be revealed to me. However, it did show me the first 2 characters and the length of the password and I was able to guess from there.

The password ended up being my name in lower case, which is also the name of my iPhone in iTunes, i.e. "Kobe's iPhone". There is no way on earth I ever would have set my name as my password, so my best guess it that iTunes changed my password during one upgrade or another. I don't have a PIN set on my phone like the other people above do, so this could be another variation of iTunes setting your password for you. Needless to say, I've now changed my password back to something more secure.

Hello
A great thankyou from Denmark, I did the exact same thing as above and found my password with Elcomsoft. If I havent read this thread I would have lost all my stuff on my iPhone, so Thanks a lot.

/Sepp

2000Regal

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
attempting to restore encrypted backup--iphone 3gs

Greetings all:

I am attempting to restore backup on an iphone 3GS. The password has been encrypted, however the user has no memory of setting up the "encrypted" password through itunes.

iphoneKobe-- When you restored your iphone, did you type your password with all lower case or as its seen in itunes (i.e. "kobe's iPhone) with the space and Capital P?

If anyone has any hints, tips, code cracking ideas, these would be greatly appreciated. I have attempted to utilize the Elcomsoft password breaker to no avail.

Thanks guys...

2000 Regal

patrick67

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
thank you Kobe!

never set a pass code myself and apple automatically set it to my first name as well......yeah can upgrade my phone now!

dookadook

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011

THANK YOU!! You're awesome. I had the same problem, and the program worked perfectly, thanks so much for sharing the info.

farhadmoradi

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011

You are amazing dude... It work for me. I followed your steps and I found it dear friend :)) Thanks...

My password was my nokia lock password 5 digits.
I dont remember setting it but I found it anyway :D~

Thankssssssssssssssssssss :D :rolleyes: :apple:

waddlequack

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Hey Everyone,

-Micah

OH THANK YOU! That worked. I totally forgot mine. Stupid stupid stupid.

klesmiley

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011

I downloaded Elcomsoft iPhone Password Breaker and did dictionary with max mutations. It says it is going to run for over 2 days! I guess it just figured your password out after 30 seconds. Mine ran for a long time before I had to cancel it b/c of being on the phone with Apple Support. We have had to reinstall iTunes so far. Still getting the password requirement box. I tried my name in lower case. No luck. Tried 0000, 1234, bunches of other passwords including my Apple account password. I'm out of options. Waiting for level 3 support to come on the line. Have been on hold or with level 2 support for 1 hr 58 min!!!. If this doesn't do it then I'll have to just let the Elcomsoft run and I'll be phoneless for awhile! The only other option is to start from scratch! OMGosh! All my stuff! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.