Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I drink quite a bit of coffee and usually reuse the same grounds twice, it tastes about the same to me but everyone else who drinks coffee tends to think its a sickening idea. :D I also have one of the machines with a filtered cup instead of having to use paper filters so its not like a mushy paper filter is sitting in there.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I drink quite a bit of coffee and usually reuse the same grounds twice, it tastes about the same to me but everyone else who drinks coffee tends to think its a sickening idea. :D I also have one of the machines with a filtered cup instead of having to use paper filters so its not like a mushy paper filter is sitting in there.

depends on how long you let them sit. It is one thing to quickly rebrew a pot.

But you wait a day and well stuff has started growing. Let wet coffee grounds sit about 3 days and you will see lot of stuff growing in them. Coffee provides very fertile place for stuff to grow.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Would it still have much caffeine content for the second brewing? My understanding is that caffeine is highly water soluble and there wouldn't be much left.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Yeah I don't think it remotely would taste the same to brew twice––besides it being kind of weird. If you enjoy brewing the grounds twice why not three times, six times? How many times have you tried until the flavor profile has degraded too much for your palate?

+1 for another thread though.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Um gross? You should need to thoroughly dry it if you want to reuse it. Why do you want to reuse them anyways? Coffee been shortage? :)

It beats running to walmart at 1 am :D

Generally I do it only if its one after another pot. The second one usually doesn't taste "as good" but its decent. I don't put anything in my coffee anyways.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I hope you're not drinking the whole pot all by yourself. :eek:

Reminds me of a colleague at work -- I often ask him why he bothers with a mere pot; wouldn't a 55 gallon drum filled with freshly brewed coffee be much more convenient for his (coffee) drinking habits? :D

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
There's no reason not to as long as you reuse it within a few hours.

If it tastes fine to you, then go for it. To me, it's disgusting. It tastes burnt...

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
this reminds me of once in a youth hostel in amsterdam where we caught the guy at the place's bar "recycling" the used coffee grounds by mixing them with
fresh ones for another brew (and it was not complimentary).
pretty lame.

i think if you reuse it immediately is fine, it's just going to be weaker and with a quite different flavor 'profile', because different essences get extracted at different rates.
i have an espresso machine that uses pods and if you use the same twice it is night and day. not even remotely comparable.

try it with tea: take a tea bag and put it for one minute in one cup and then for one minute in another.
often (especially if it is a herbal mix) it is not just a matter of strength, they taste completely different (and might have a different color, too)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Blech! I'm not really fussy about my coffee, but I'd be able to taste the difference. I know this because I use a drip system that makes 2 cups at a time. Long story short, I think the last 1/2 cup that comes out is terribly weak. I have to wait for the full 2 cups to drip before indulging.

If you want coffee that puts hair on your chest......
In the 1940's there was an RCMP vessel (the St Roch) which patrolled the Canadian Arctic. To make coffee they scooped a bunch of grounds into an enamelled coffee pot, added water, and put on the stove to boil. No filters, or drip baskets ... grounds into the water - boil - simmer. When the pot started to feel light, you added more grounds and water and put back onto the stove. When the pot was full of grounds, then you emptied the pot and started a fresh pot.

I got this story directly from one of the Mounties who was there....

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I thought this was going to be a discussion of how to reuse coffee grounds as an alternative energy source. Given the number many people drink coffee, we should have an abundance of it. :D

Reactions: LizKat

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
If you are hardcore about coffee (like me) and drink shots of espresso then you definitely cannot use the same grounds twice.

The second shot that you draw will not have the same consistency and will also lack any crema (the dark red froth at the top).

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Other than yuck, no. Go for it.

...it smacks of reheating cold coffee in a microwave. Double yuck. But there's no law - legal, physical, moral or otherwise - that says you can't.

abo11

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
laugh out loud

These posts totally made my night. :D Hahahaha, so funny. I'm going to try reusing my coffee grounds from the pot I just made...we'll see how it turns out. I don't know whether there will be any caffeine left?

Thanks for the entertainment.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
maybe you can save the grounds from 4 fresh pots of coffee to make one decent leftover pot.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I hope you're not drinking the whole pot all by yourself. :eek:

I am the only one who drinks coffee in my household and I don't drink it by the pot so I brew strong coffee, then immediately brew a second pot about half full with the same grounds. Drink a cup or two and keep the rest stored in a half gallon plastic jug in the fridge. When I want more the next day and later in the week, I pour a cup and pop it in the microwave. I assume this is not what a real coffee connoisseur does, but I don't waste it and it tastes good to me. :)

Reactions: Queen6 and mgguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.