Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

091411-20101124_082045_ssjm1125hp90.jpg
Mercury News reports that Apple has purchased 98 acres of land in Cupertino which was owned by HP:Apple's latest acquisition is the longtime Cupertino campus of rival tech giant Hewlett-Packard, the Mercury News learned Wednesday. HP announced over the summer that it planned to move out of that site, which it had occupied for decades, as it consolidates operations at its Palo Alto headquarters over the next two years.The extra land will be used by Apple to expand their existing Cupertino campus.

Three Guys and a Podcast are claiming that Apple will be holding two special events next year:

- January 2011 - New iPad
- April 2011 - All New Mac Book Pros + Final Cut Pro Update

They don't list their source for the information, so we're not sure how much is speculative, but they claim the MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive.

The Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. has triggered massive sales in the App Store. TouchArcade has consolidated a massive list of notable gaming sales. Meanwhile, AppShopper offers a running list of every App Store sale as they happen. The Universal App let's you find sales on your iOS device.

Apple Australia has already begun their Black Friday sales with the following discounts:

-A$51 on iPad (8%)
-A$121 on MBP (8%)
-A$15 or 25 on Nano (respective sizes) (up to 12%)
-A$25, 45 or 51 on iPod Touch (respective sizes) (up to 18%)
-A$121 on MBA (only 13") (7.5%)
-A$121 on iMac (8%)

We'll cover Apple's U.S. Black Friday sales tomorrow, which should offer similar savings.

Article Link: Thanksgiving Roundup: Apple Buys Land, New MacBooks in April, App Store Sales, Black Friday Prices

Last edited by a moderator:

yvonnejim

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
11.6 MacBook Pro

Still hoping for the smaller MacBook Pro. Any chance or rumors of this ever happening?

kennycheng93

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Mbp = mba?

"MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive." ???

Then the 13'' MBP will be discontinued! :rolleyes:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
When I was buying my Mac in July, I am glad I "didn't wait for the newer model" because theres no way I would have waited until April 2011.

I wonder what they will add though. Probably not worth the time not being spent without a Mac. :D

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Would be very helpful if the OP gave the PERCENTAGE reduction instead of absolute value.

Absolute value doesn't tell us anything about what we may expect in the US.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
April sounds juicy and comes as refreshing rumour after yet another wave of iYawn posts! :)

Keeping my fingers crossed for Solid State + no optical drive + better GPU!

Quad Core option would be nice too...

Last edited:

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Absolutely NO new ipad in Jan.

An announcement maybe for release in the spring.

JohnG

skiwildcat7

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
CT
No optical drive?? Are you kidding me? How am I supposed to install something if it isn't possible to download it? We aren't ready for totally getting rid of optical drives yet. It's like when Rumsfeld thought he could take over Iraq with just Special Forces.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
No optical drive?? Are you kidding me? How am I supposed to install something if it isn't possible to download it? We aren't ready for totally getting rid of optical drives yet. It's like when Rumsfeld thought he could take over Iraq with just Special Forces.

1) buy an external optical drive
2) use remote disk like the MacBook air

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
What if they had SSD + second internal storage? Some people need to carry around hundreds of gigs of stuff. And no external HD :D

Yes, yes, yes, please, please, please.

Plenty of folk have swapped out their optical drive to have an HDD+SDD combo. Unfortunately, between sleep/hibernation issues, power management issues, and the need to move files around from one drive to another, I haven't been willing to go this route.

If Apple took care of all the nitty gritty, though, it'd be sweet.

Several manufacturers now make 7 mm harddrives. Use that, along with an MBA style blade SSD card, lose the optical drive, and have the OS manage which files go to which drive, and we'd have a moderately priced, very thin, VERY fast machine.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

I guess they might have those external Super drives too. Hopefully they'll include it free, because it is a Macbook "Pro".

external-super-drive.jpg

Not a bad idea though, if you aren't the one who needs an optical drive all the time, everywhere you go.

It looks like the new MBPs will be just on time for 10.7. Should be pretty beast :D

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Absolutely NO new ipad in Jan.

An announcement maybe for release in the spring.

JohnG

Yea. Unless they plan to launch it in January there will be no January announcement. Since when does apple announce a product update and fail to ship it for another 3-4 months.

bug67

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
Alaska
"...They claim the MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive..."

Just a rumor, I know. But, if at all true, Apple will continue to support my decision to NOT buy their laptops.:(

bruinselmann

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Germany
There is absolutely no way they are taking the optical drive out of the MacBook Pro so soon. Personally, I would love to get rid of optical media for good - but it's not yet going to happen.

Maybe as an option, though. Might be convenient to use the space for an additional battery.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Yea. Unless they plan to launch it in January there will be no January announcement. Since when does apple announce a product update and fail to ship it for another 3-4 months.

Let's turn back the clock to January 27, 2010:

Apple introduces the iPad for the first time to the world.

April 3, 2010: the iPad is released in the US.

Did you already forget that buddy?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Cant wait for the Final Cut Studio Update. Better be 64 bit and have multi core and multi threaded support. The lack of these things is ridiculous.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
What if they had SSD + second internal storage? Some people need to carry around hundreds of gigs of stuff. And no external HD :D

I agree! this is what I have on my i7 thinkpad. 80GB SSD for OS and programs w/ 1TB 7200 2.5 HD for everything else. It's not nearly as elegant as it would be with the mac. I had to replace my internal CD bay with a HD tray.

It's awesome. I would love the same ability in a macbook!

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Hmm.. I got two HDDs AND an optical drive in my Dell M6400.

...Then again its a monstrosity that's power adapter alone weighs more than the MBA. :)

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
They don't list their source for the information, so we're not sure how much is speculative, but they claim the MacBook Pro will follow the MacBook Airs move to Solid State Storage and removal of an optical drive.

Yeah!!! It's time to jump to the future! :)
Forget about the optical drive! ;)

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?

Future restore discs could be replaced by USB thumb drives like the MBA. Optical has a limit of 8gb storage, USB flash drives are now more than 64GB. Lots of downloadable software will be on Mac App Store, maybe including major OS upgrades.

No optical drive = more battery space

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have bought so much for so little on the App store in the past couple of days. Using the Appshopper app and every couple of hours I refresh the paid games with price changes - mega useful app. Hoping that some of my wishlist items go on sale in the next day (Chaos Rings, FF1-2).

Between this and the Steam sale too - I'm gonna be broke before Christmas :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.