Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeenCoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I was using my phone and everything was fine, and then all of a sudden, the button seemed like it needed more pressure to push, and it doesn't click back when you press it down anymore. It doesn't looks sunken, and it still works, I'm just confused? I got my phone about 4 and a half months ago, so I don't know if it's still under warranty. It works, its not like it's completely broken, but should I worry about it getting worse? I really don't know what to do :confused::confused::confused: I'm challenged when it comes to technology.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I was using my phone and everything was fine, and then all of a sudden, the button seemed like it needed more pressure to push, and it doesn't click back when you press it down anymore. It doesn't looks sunken, and it still works, I'm just confused? I got my phone about 4 and a half months ago, so I don't know if it's still under warranty. It works, its not like it's completely broken, but should I worry about it getting worse? I really don't know what to do :confused::confused::confused: I'm challenged when it comes to technology.

If you bought the iPhone 4 brand new at the store, then of course it's still under warranty. All Apple products have a 1 year limited warranty.

NeenCoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
If you bought the iPhone 4 brand new at the store, then of course it's still under warranty. All Apple products have a 1 year limited warranty.

Oh great !!! So they can replace it? Or fix it?

Last edited:

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I had the exact same problem and after searching forever, I found nothing. I didn't try to bring mine to Apple because I didn't know if the water sensor was tripped or not. (I spilled soda on the phone. Not much but enough to make that button stick)

Anyway, I took nail polish remover (or rubbing alcohol) and a q-tip and rubbed it on the button and in the seam around the button. After massaging the button for a few seconds, it felt brand new again! I wiped off any access & have been good since. Make sure obviously to not put too much which is why I used a q-tip.

NeenCoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I had the exact same problem and after searching forever, I found nothing. I didn't try to bring mine to Apple because I didn't know if the water sensor was tripped or not. (I spilled soda on the phone. Not much but enough to make that button stick)

Anyway, I took nail polish remover (or rubbing alcohol) and a q-tip and rubbed it on the button and in the seam around the button. After massaging the button for a few seconds, it felt brand new again! I wiped off any access & have been good since. Make sure obviously to not put too much which is why I used a q-tip.

Thing is though, nothing spilled on it and it's had an ultra protective cover on it since I've had it that completely covers the button. The button also rattles a little bit.

NeenCoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Id prefer to keep my phone now because it's in mint condition and was brand new when I got it. I would think fixing the lock button would be something easy to do .... My home button works perfectly.

Aaaron

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Yeah. They would either try to replace the home button or hand you a refurbished one.

Does replacing the home button involve replacing the phone too? Or anything involving having to reinstall all of your apps?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Does replacing the home button involve replacing the phone too? Or anything involving having to reinstall all of your apps?

They only replace your iPhone if, the issue isn't fixable. To replace the home button, the technician will take the front glass off.

If your iPhone is jailbroken, then you'd obviously have to restore your iPhone before you bring it in.

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
I had this on my 3Gs, i didnt notice until someone asked me and then i compared it to someone elses. I'm not sure if they will replace it for you since it technically isn't really broken.

NeenCoole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I had this on my 3Gs, i didnt notice until someone asked me and then i compared it to someone elses. I'm not sure if they will replace it for you since it technically isn't really broken.

Really? But it's not like fully functional. I have to press pretty hard!!! I'm really upset! I've never dropped my phone , no water damage , nothing! I've only had it a few months! This shouldn't be happening!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.