Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Will an Apple store allow me to exchange a 64gb MacBook Air for a 128gn MacBook air without a receipt? I picked one up from someone who received it as a wedding gift and they do not have a receipt. I guess the receipt was emailed to the person who purchased it and they can't find it. The item is unopened, and I'd rather have the larger SSD.

Does Apple only ask for an email? I would think they could find the receipt by looking up a name or phone number or some other way, even if the email was forgotten or incorrect.

dj2mc

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON [CAN]
Will an Apple store allow me to exchange a 64gb MacBook Air for a 128gn MacBook air without a receipt? I picked one up from someone who received it as a wedding gift and they do not have a receipt. I guess the receipt was emailed to the person who purchased it and they can't find it. The item is unopened, and I'd rather have the larger SSD.

Does Apple only ask for an email? I would think they could find the receipt by looking up a name or phone number or some other way, even if the email was forgotten or incorrect.

From what my resources tell me, have the original buyer contact Apple by phone, or visit an Apple Store and have an employee look up the customer information. From there, they should be able to pull up their transaction history and do a re-print of the sales receipt or will re-email the receipt to the purchaser.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
From what my resources tell me, have the original buyer contact Apple by phone, or visit an Apple Store and have an employee look up the customer information. From there, they should be able to pull up their transaction history and do a re-print of the sales receipt or will re-email the receipt to the purchaser.

I guess they tried, or are trying, but since I already bought it they probably aren't going to put much effort into it. I was hoping since it is still sealed they would let me upgrade without a receipt.

dj2mc

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON [CAN]
I guess they tried, or are trying, but since I already bought it they probably aren't going to put much effort into it. I was hoping since it is still sealed they would let me upgrade without a receipt.

Well, I guess it won't hurt to try.. but the deal is, is you have no proof that you actually bought it from a certified Apple Store.
I have an idea.... I will confirm this with my buddy who works at an Apple Store and I'll get back to you, but each computer has a unique serial # attached, and they scan them every time they sell their product, I wonder if you went back to an Apple Store, have them search the product under that #?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Well, I guess it won't hurt to try.. but the deal is, is you have no proof that you actually bought it from a certified Apple Store.
I have an idea.... I will confirm this with my buddy who works at an Apple Store and I'll get back to you, but each computer has a unique serial # attached, and they scan them every time they sell their product, I wonder if you went back to an Apple Store, have them search the product under that #?

Thanks, let me know what your buddy says. If they can just find the receipt that would be great. The Apple store is almost an hour drive for me, otherwise I would just go check myself. Either way, I ma drive over there tomorrow evening after the crowds die down a little.

dj2mc

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2010
Ottawa, ON [CAN]
Thanks, let me know what your buddy says. If they can just find the receipt that would be great. The Apple store is almost an hour drive for me, otherwise I would just go check myself. Either way, I ma drive over there tomorrow evening after the crowds die down a little.

No problem. From what he told me he says there shouldn't be a problem, and that there is a way to look it up, but he says they generally don't like to search that way (want to limit fraudulent activity) *he didn't really help* but to insure you can.. call your local Apple Store and talk with one of them and see if they can fullfil your request.. or if you're down that way pay a visit.
Wish you luck, Sir.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
No problem. From what he told me he says there shouldn't be a problem, and that there is a way to look it up, but he says they generally don't like to search that way (want to limit fraudulent activity) *he didn't really help* but to insure you can.. call your local Apple Store and talk with one of them and see if they can fullfil your request.. or if you're down that way pay a visit.
Wish you luck, Sir.

Thanks for the help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.