Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
Christ! He said "If" and "May" 2 enormous words.

2 small words that get the Apple defence storm troopers rabid.

Why can't you stand discussion of your beloved Apple Fuhrer if it has the potential of a negative aspect? PhotoGraphic was right to have concerns - give him sage council and stop acting like part-time Apple legal execs.

deeeeeeeefr - my cat Kaspar's contribution as he walked across my keyboard.

French elections today - Crash and burn Sarko!!!!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
so you always knew something was wrong before you had a medical exam?

All workers at chemical plant (or related field) have to take a drug test before they are allowed to work there. This is to ensure that they are not under the influence of any illegal drug. But that doesn't mean that they are all suspected to be on crack.

Scenario 1) I think Apple's computer maybe causing the air to be carcinogenic, I'd best get it tested.

Scenario 2) I've got a mole that wasn't there a week ago, I'd best get it tested.

Scenario 3) I think I'm pregnant, I'd best get a test to see.

Scenario 4) We don't want employees who are involved in illegal activities as we think they are a too high of a risk to have working here. We'll have drug tests to filter out these people.

Can't you see the difference between Scenario 1 and the other 3.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
This all seems to have hi-jacked the OP's point. The consensus would appear to be that what he is experiencing is not the "new mac smell" but rather something suggestive of a fault.

My earlier point stands. I can understand why apple might not like comments suggesting that a burning smell could be linked with carcinogens, and that was certainly implicit from photographic's post. And I still feel that he has managed to sabotage a thread in the apple support forums that might otherwise have been of use to the OP.

With regards to pregnancy tests and medical exams. You get them because you are worried that they might be positive. If I strongly suspect something to be negative I tend not to waste my time and effort. Generally the more significant the positive outcome the lower the threshold for investigation, ie more likely to get a nasty looking mole checked (possible outcome:death) than to have a cough reviewed (likely outcome:cold, now eff off out of my surgery).

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
mmmm...

you may have said if and may and all that jazz.

dont matter. negative outlook frm apples perspective.

so can you expect them to host it? no

is it slanderous? questionable

loss of sales? mebe

you take legal action they would counter claim your ass for loss of sales.

thats all i said. so :p

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
not specifiacally but slander is more about damaging a reputation. which comments may do, for instance browsing a forum and seeing it may be carcinogenic could lead to a bad rep and consequently loss of sales...

I don't think pondering whether something could be carcinogenic could be slanderous, but that assumes the law has some degree of common sense..

In any case, Apple has every right to moderate their own forums as they choose. If they removed the post as it's likely to unnecessarily scare users, they're probably right to do so. If they removed it while knowing/suspecting there is a problem, it's extremely irresponsible of them to do so.

PhotoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Ireland
not specifiacally but slander is more about damaging a reputation. which comments may do, for instance browsing a forum and seeing it may be carcinogenic could lead to a bad rep and consequently loss of sales...

Yagran, please go to Wikipedia and educate yourself about the definition of slander. Thank you.

In fact, accusing me of slander when in fact I am doing nothing of that sort amounts to libel. (You may want to look up the definition of "libel" as well.)

Redwill

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
First of all, sorry about my english, i just registre here to coment the case that i have the same odor problem too in my 1week old Macpro from Europe.

Mac Pro Assambled in Cork (Ireland) on the xx/04/07

Conf.2,6Ghz, X1900XT

And i have the same problem, like a grase burning, or plastic melting, just how much i used more bad smell.

For all of those who are not sure if they have the problem, the smell is noticiable, isnt like the brand new smell of electronics, is a day persisten smell easy to notice about.

meshuga

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
London/New York/Philadelphia
good grief! dude is discussing Apple products in an Apple Product theme forum. He is expressing concern for a product which he was not happy with. No slander was made. Apple simply removed his posting to stop that line of thought from snowballing, which I can understand. Get the air tested, i'd like to be the first to know the results when u get them simply because i would like to have knowledge from sources other than apple :)

PianoPete

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2007
If a burning smell/fumes make you nauseous and dizzy to the point where you have to leave the room I would imagine it's not very healthy. Your body is reacting to something toxic and the nausea is a survival mechanism. Definitely get it tested.

As far as the legal issues go I am no attorney so I'll withold comment. The 'carcinogenic' comment is certainly inflammatory though.

uws

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Mac Pro smell

Well put me on the list too. It smells like a sort of ammonia and that is not healthy at all. If you stay in the room you get dizzy after a few minutes. I ran the Mac Pro for a few days but it won't go away. And: You don't have to have a very sensitive nose to realize the smell. It definetely comes from the power supply of the Mac Pro (mine is a 3 GHz quad). Called my retailer and they will come and check.

It looks like a faulty part in the power supply or they forgot to remove some plastic in there.

Cheers

Update: problem solved...they changed the psu and now it is OK. Can't say what it was, because you can't look into the psu, the Tech suggested it may be a faulty part and that the psu would have died anyway somewhen later.

BTW. the Mac Pro is also an "inside" beauty. Changing the psu took three minutes....

Update 2: contrary to what I thought before, the problem is NOT solved. It takes longer now to produce the problem, but after running about 2 hours the Mac Pro stinks like he did before. It is so intense that you can't stay in the room. I tried to let the machine run for four days in a closed room, hoping that ot will go away didn't help. So I call the tech again....

Redwill

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
Can the affected like me post here the place showen on Coconut identitycard about the place and the estimated date of build of your MacPro.

Mine is shipped in Europe (Spain) is a 2,6Ghz whit Ati 1900XT

Build in Corck, Ireland, on xx/04/2007

Thanks for all, for me, i left the Macpro turned on about 45Hrs and now seems that the smell is gone in the room, meabe is some plactic that have been left in the fabrication that has veen burning.

PhotoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Ireland
Hi Redwill,

As far as I know all the Macs for the European market are assembled in Cork, Ireland. My one also dates from mid-April 2007, but the specs are all different (2 GHz, different graphics card...)

The machine is now with the local Apple authorized repair shop, they are exchanging the power supply unit.

Results from the lab re. air test should come in next week. It took ages to get the test kit, thanks to the combined "efforts" of Parcelforce and GLS. I'll post the results when I have them.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
you are suggesting that apple may be giving you cancer, with out this being a fact it is slanderous as it may damage their reputation without legitimate reason...

remember that if you did take up legal action and were found to be incorrect. expect a counter claim for damages

Rediculous assumption. He is stating IF the smell contains something bad he will sue. He is not saying it is cancer causing but IF it is he will do something about it. That is NOT slanderous.

That is like me saying, "If Steve Jobs comes over and kills me, he will be in big trouble." I never said he killed me. GET IT?

PhotoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Ireland
Update: The repair shop just rang me and said that the smell comes from a chip with heatsink on the logic board and that this chip seems to be overheating. They have ordered a new logic board.

This is interesting insofar as all smelly macs that I have read about had the power supply unit replaced.

Redwill

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
Thats new!!!, meaby because of that some one says that replacing the PSU doesnt solve the problem .

I have to say, that the first time i smell the problem, i hope that was the Radeon or meaby the Processors that were burning, so that claims that meaby the Chipset or something in that area is the cause acording for what you say.

Most probably that is the final cause, now is time to identify the heatsink, i will try to.

Thanks and sorry about my english

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
This thread reminded that I need to seek legal advice. I may have to file claims against myself. The other day I farted and the smell was unbearable, I got this bad headache and it hasn't gone away yet. Boy, I don't know what I'm in for. Sorry, I'm half asleep. :eek:

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Can you honestly blame them for removing an accusatory posting. Had you found out that there were no carcinogens would you have apologised for the slander - legal actions work both ways after all. It seems all that you managed to do was stop the OP from getting help that he wanted.

Overreacting much?

All the OP said is his Mac Pro stinks up his room, where did all this talk about carcinogens come from? Guilty conscience?

PhotoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Ireland
This morning I went to the repair shop where The Stinker had undergone a logic board transplant. They had it running overnight in a very small cubicle of a room.

The smell had not gone, as the repair person acknowledged. But it was definitely much reduced. So what was I to do? Go for yet another logic board transplant? Give the machine back to Apple? I decided to bring it home and give it another few days. Damn, I have to go through hundreds of RAW files today and can't bring myself to do that on the old G4. :-(

At home I noticed that they had given me an old mouse with dirty scrollball and grit and biro marks on the cable. Clearly not the mouse that was in the box!!!

When I wiped down the greasy pawmarks which the machine had all over it, I noticed a 2 cm long scratch right on top of the housing. While I'm sure the repair shop will eventually give back the original mouse, I wonder what I should do about the scratch because it will affect the resale value - and if I decide to give the computer back to Apple, this scratch might become a problem. Any advice?

If I could turn back time, I would have given The Stinker back to Apple right after the first day, then ordered a new computer. This would have saved me a LOT of time and hassle...

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
saying it may be give him cancer not slander, posting it on apples forums in the way he did, is slander. simple as that. sorry if you felt offended, im simply stating the truth, you have to be careful what you say on big companies forums, say for instance a reporter had picked up your thread and ran a story, who would be liable for damages to apple if the claims added to nothing? the reporter for sure, but ultimately the source would have been you. i was just trying to make you realise apples point of view. :)

PhotoGraphic

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2007
Ireland
saying it may be give him cancer not slander, posting it on apples forums in the way he did, is slander. simple as that. sorry if you felt offended, im simply stating the truth, you have to be careful what you say on big companies forums, say for instance a reporter had picked up your thread and ran a story, who would be liable for damages to apple if the claims added to nothing? the reporter for sure, but ultimately the source would have been you. i was just trying to make you realise apples point of view. :)

You show a lot more concern for for a possible drop in computer sales than for the health of the users. Do you not think you have your priorities backwards?!

CaTV

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
Intense smell coming from mac book pro

Yes, absolutely ditto. It makes my nostrils shut entirely and I feel both nauseous and a bit weird. I bought my Mac Book Pro in 2007, and this only started a couple of months ago. It becomes unbearable when the fan is running. Does ANYONE know what the hell this odour is? I've heard that one of the Mac Book Pro smells may be linked to leukemia. To the person who first posted this: I was just about to buy a new computer today, and the vendor said I should take my problem to Apple and they will probably replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.