Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeamsNbarcelona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Barcelona
I just moved to Barcelona from Austin, Texas and have changed the region on my new laptop too many times and cannot watch movies. I understand there are programs to hack my dvd player so I can enjoy watching.

I've done a little research and have a Mashita UJ-898 but can't figure out how to hack it.

Is it possible? I'm lonely here and don't have a tv or radio!! Otherwise I'll need to pay iTunes every time I watch a movie :mad:

Thanks,
Robyn (renee.robyn@me.com) :eek:

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Download VLC. I'm pretty sure it plays DVDs from any region... and it's better than the built-in DVD Player software.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Download VLC. I'm pretty sure it plays DVDs from any region... and it's better than the built-in DVD Player software.

Nope. It used to do that with RPC-1 drives but current DVD drives ship with RPC-2 firmware which cannot be bypassed with VLC. The links in my above post are for flashing the firmware with RPC-1 firmware

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Nope. It used to do that with RPC-1 drives but current DVD drives ship with RPC-2 firmware which cannot be bypassed with VLC. The links in my above post are for flashing the firmware with RPC-1 firmware

Well that's annoying. :(

But the OP should download VLC anyway. It's still better than DVD Player. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.