Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I want to take a whole bunch of screenshots and want to save them in a designated file I wish to create just for this purpose.

By default, the screenshots :)apple: + shift + 3) are saved on the desktop. Any idea how to change this??

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I wondered the same thing a couple years ago actually, and found no ways to do it. That was on Tiger though, Leopard might have changed this, but I haven't bothered to look.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I wondered the same thing a couple years ago actually, and found no ways to do it. That was on Tiger though, Leopard might have changed this, but I haven't bothered to look.

The easiest way I can think of is to use a smart folder that will filter those images in from the desktop, that way you can easily drag them into your designated folder manually. Not ideal I realize, but not too painful either.

Slovak

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
OnyX

Attachments

• OnyX.jpg
    OnyX.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 771

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
very useful.
Tanks.

what other useful stuff have you found with the onyX?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I created an AppleScript that lets you pick the output type and and destination for the screen shots. You can copy & paste the code into Script Editor and save it for use.
Code:
-- Created by angelwatt.com
-- Created: 2009-02-20
-- Description: Script configures Mac's built-in image capture utility. It asks for image file type and the destination for the captures.

-- Pick from list
set imgType to choose from list {"png", "jpg", "gif", "pdf", "tiff", "pict"} with prompt "Pick a image capture type" default items {"png"} OK button name "Pick"
-- Choose folder
set imgPath to choose folder with prompt "Choose Image Capture Location"

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.screencapture type " & imgType
do shell script "defaults write com.apple.screencapture location " & quoted form of POSIX path of imgPath
-- Kill the UI so user doesn't have to logout for change to take effect
do shell script "killall -HUP SystemUIServer"
Pretty much the same thing as Onyx does, but is stand alone.

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
I created an AppleScript that lets you pick the output type and and destination for the screen shots. You can copy & paste the code into Script Editor and save it for use.
Code:
-- Description: Script configures Mac's built-in image capture utility. It asks for image file type and the destination for the captures.

-- Pick from list
set imgType to choose from list {"png", "jpg", "gif", "pdf", "tiff", "pict"} with prompt "Pick a image capture type" default items {"png"} OK button name "Pick"
-- Choose folder

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.screencapture location " & quoted form of POSIX path of imgPath

Dude!! You are like Morpheus from the Matrix! Showing me the path!! :D

I didn't even know my freakin' mac can do this stuff. Thank you man.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Code:

-- Pick from list
-- Choose folder

Thanks for writing that script!
It worked perfectly.

jman995x.

stl88

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
Thanks for writing that script!
It worked perfectly.

jman995x.

I'm sorry- I've never used a script before and I'm not sure where to put it in? It sounds like it's going to do exactly what I need but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Don't bother with a script; just edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

Change the path under "location" to your desired path. then you'll want to relaunch SystemUIServer:

Code:
killall SystemUIServer

stl88

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
Don't bother with a script; just edit ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screencapture.plist

Change the path under "location" to your desired path. then you'll want to relaunch SystemUIServer:

Code:
killall SystemUIServer

i don't see com.apple.screencapture, it just goes from scheduler to security :(

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I'm sorry- I've never used a script before and I'm not sure where to put it in? It sounds like it's going to do exactly what I need but I don't know how to use it.

My post tells you. Paste it into Script Editor (now called AppleScript Editor) and then save it. Then you just double-click the saved file to run it.

bpwhistler

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks

Thanks angelwatt. I know this thread is extremely old...but I just came across your script. It works great. Just what I've been looking for.

Brett

Martin.Roende

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Applescript guide for above Screen Shot script

Thank you for this script....:apple:

Activation guide for non scripters:
In spotlight type in " Applescript "

Cut the script above, and paste into script editor.

Press save, and give it a place and name you can find again, ex.
"Screen Shot location.scpt" in your home directory.

Press Run and choose grphic format and location (select directory somewhere).

Regards Martin Rønde :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.