Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Now I would get one if they had a decent CAD package.

Stuff touching the internet.

To be able to touch and interact with your designs in a way like that's never been done before now THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING!!

Solidworks or Pre E perhaps???

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

To be able to touch and interact with your designs in a way like that's never been done before now THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING!!

I doubt it will happen but it would be useful.

PS: I enjoy my CAD on a 100+" screen.

BeagleBecker

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
iPad CAD

Fresh Design Base just released a version 1 of their iPhone CAD application. Its called SitePAD, and lets your draw and when combined with an online account, manage (two way transfer) and integrate CAD files using your iPhone. It will work on the iPad as is, but there is apparently an iPad dedicated version due out in the next couple of weeks! Check it out at http://www.sitepad.co.uk :D

SiemEik

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Connect to your PC from a distance

Why not access your powerfull CAD computer from a distance through your iPad? I hear of people doing this using Bluebeam PDF Revu (Windows only). TeamViewer has an iPad version for this.

SiemEik

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
cadTouch R3 not for open DWG?

@beppeabresh

I read cadTouch R3 is only working on the primitive DXF text files. Why not on the open DWG standard (http://www.opendesign.com), like Google SketchUp, GstarCAD and all other CAD-software?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Don't waste your time with the the actual AutoDesk app. For me it crashed like crazy, and was really convoluted in getting .dwg files loaded onto it, even for just referring to the drawings.

I need to try the other ones that are in the store. However for right now, employees are just using Citrix XenApp in conjunction with DWG Trueview through Citrix Receiver for iPad, and it works great.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Being a designer and having used lots of CAD programs ... I can say that CAD on a touch screen iOS device has of yet to prove being useful... :(

Sure you can show off a 3D model and rotate it ... but when you want to get down and technical ... this is where if falls short ...

I have tried the AutoCad WS ... (poor viewer for AutoCad DWGs has potential)
Then I have tried Autodesk Inventor Viewer on iPad ... just like the AutoCAD WS app ... it has potential ... as soon as they let us do section views ... take dimensions ... let us know the weight of components in an assembly etc .. etc.. instead of just being able to rotate, zoom and pan ... this is useless on the shop floor or when visiting subcontractors ... We need more info on parts..

Also why cant I open up a DWG or Inventor model from an email ??? why do I have to load them up on AutoDesk website ....

The Dassault Catia app is the same thing ... you can open 3Dxml files ... but no info on them ... you can rotate zoom and pan ... I expected more from Dassault ... Having Catia here at work ... I was excited to hear that my iPad could be used to bring with me my designs and take dimensions on the fly.... but when tried ... does not really do anything useful .. I still carry drawings for dimensions and tolerances ...

I guess we will get there at some point in the future ... these are first releases ...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's really stupid when you think.

Autocad used to run on 286, 386, 486, then Pentium Chips.

No reason on earth (apart from modern lazy bloated programming) that a proper CAD Package cannot be done on the iPad which has the power of a full high end desktop PC from about 10/15 years ago.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2007
Yeah .. bring me AutoCAD 14 or 2000 ... those where the days .. :)
Back then it used to be light on RAM ... fast forward to present day .. it has so much stuff running in the background its unreal ...

attzaz

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Hi there,

just noticed this thread, i know the post is a bit old, but if anyone is still interested we will release a CAD app for the iPad called 'ArchiDraw'... it is designed by myself and an Engineer, and is constructed entirely from OpenGL, which makes is very fast indeed.... We are about to enter a testing phase, and trying to integrate a couple of really cool features before that.... It will certainly import and export Autocad DXF formats, along with a few others, but DXF is the important one if your are serious about CAD...

We are very excited about it, and hope to release sometime around March.... If anyone is interested please visit our page;

orangejuicestudios.com

It would be great if you subscribe to our newsletter to keep you informed of our progress, and why not even send us an email with any questions or suggestions about what you would like it to do... When we launch we are going select 10 people at random from our list of subscribers to give a free copy of the full version, as we will restrict some exporting features from the free version....

Look forward to hearing from you on the other side!

Cheers

oisr

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012

I am not sure of native cad apps but there are few viewers like Glovius that convert ProE/Catia/Soliworks etc files and open them on ipad/iphone.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glovius/id434823171?mt=8

:apple:

LauraArnold

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
I still haven't found any I'm completely happy with. I've been hoping for one to do good as built plans so I can quit carrying my netbook to enter them. Nothing as of yet, though.

video converter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.