Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

Today I purchased a second-hand iPhone 3G 16GB. I already had an iPod Touch and had many songs and apps on my iTunes.

Anyway, I plug my iPhone in and firstly try to restore it which doesn't work. Then I try and sync it which "works" but none of my existing apps and songs (which I had on my iPod touch) copied over.

In the "devices" section of my iTunes my iPhone is listed and underneath where it says the name of my iPhone there are three subsections "Music", "Movies" & "TV Shows" but no "Apps" listing. Due to there being a "Music" subsection in the devices section I was able to manually copy my songs from the "Music" subsection of the "Library" section. But because there is no "Apps" subsection in "Devices" I can't copy my apps manually like I did with my songs.

Sorry about my post being long but hopefully someone can help. Most of my apps were free so I can download them again but I am not so keen on the hastle of doing all of that.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi,

Today I purchased a second-hand iPhone 3G 16GB. I already had an iPod Touch and had many songs and apps on my iTunes.

Anyway, I plug my iPhone in and firstly try to restore it which doesn't work. Then I try and sync it which "works" but none of my existing apps and songs (which I had on my iPod touch) copied over.

In the "devices" section of my iTunes my iPhone is listed and underneath where it says the name of my iPhone there are three subsections "Music", "Movies" & "TV Shows" but no "Apps" listing. Due to there being a "Music" subsection in the devices section I was able to manually copy my songs from the "Music" subsection of the "Library" section. But because there is no "Apps" subsection in "Devices" I can't copy my apps manually like I did with my songs.

Sorry about my post being long but hopefully someone can help. Most of my apps were free so I can download them again but I am not so keen on the hastle of doing all of that.

Put the iPhone in DFU mode and restore. Should fix your issues.

joeblogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I just did that but I still get the same error message. When I put my iPhone into DFU mode the Apple logo briefly appeared - does that mean it didn't properly enter DFU mode? I watched a video online showing you how to put your iPhone into DFU mode and the screen stayed blank for the whole time.

Here is the error message I always get when I try and restore my iPhone (with or without DFU mode).

iphoneproblem.png

Last edited:

joeblogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone know if the problem will be fixed when Apple releases it's next iPhone operating software and I update it on my iPhone?

Or will I just have to live with the fact that I can't restore my iPhone?

Anapplecsr

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
As for the syncing issue you just click on the name of your iphone under devices and that will take you to the summary page . If you look further up on the page you will see the tabs summary/info/apps/ ect. You would just click on the apps tab, choose the option to sync apps and choose the apps u wanna sync.

As for other issue. Why are you trying to restore?

As for connection issue, that has nothing to do with the iphone. Disable any anti-virus/firewalls u have running. Reset modem/router. Try bypassing router completely and connect to modem driectly. Uninstall/reinstall itunes. Try other pc. Try someone elses pc with a different internet connection. Go to an apple store. Freak out. Die.

joeblogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Thanks, I've now successfully been able to sync my apps onto my iPhone.

I'm trying to restore my iPhone because I bought it second-hand and jailbroken. I would like my iPhone to not be jailbroken.

I'm not sure why I'm not able to restore my iPhone or upgrade the operating software. I upgraded my operating software on my iPod Touch numerous months ago with the same PC and the same iTunes (I never uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes) but now I'm not able to upgrade the iOS on both my iPod Touch and my iPhone so it must be a problem with my iTunes or something. Just not sure why it's not working now.

Will reinstalling my iTunes delete my library? I know I can just sync the reinstalled version of iTunes with my iPhone anyway.

markphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Unlock iPhone

You must contact to the officials of iphone appliances or directly go to the Show room or service center and remember one thing warranty voids if you try to open it so never do such thing.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
The error that you posted is one that is generally received if there is a problem with Windows security software. Anti-virus and firewall software will interfere with the connection if it takes too much time and will result in that timeout.

If you are using a Windows computer, disable the firewall, anti-virus and any other security software (i.e. anti-malware, etc.) that you are using and try again.

See if that helps. One other issue that I have seen on another site is that a security software called Kaspersky will really interfere with downloads of Apple software and it needs to be disabled to accomplish it.

joeblogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Interesting that, thanks CSMchris376. I currently have Kaspersky on my computer. I will try and restore my iPhone with Kaspersky removed from my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.