Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Hi I am looking at getting x plane flight sim but also interested is there a realistic flight sim / fighter game. Control and fly planes in fighter planes?

Thanks

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Hi I am looking at getting x plane flight sim but also interested is there a realistic flight sim / fighter game. Control and fly planes in fighter planes?

Thanks

X-Plane has many fighter planes that you can fly but they can't engage in combat.
There are no combat flight simulators for Macs.
If you have an Intel-Mac, you could play a combat flight simulator under Boot Camp with Windows.
I know nothing about it but I believe you can run a combat flight simulator called "Warbirds" on the internet.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
^^^ holy s**t! If that game is half as cool as it looks, I'll spend whatever it takes on hardware to play it to its potential.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.

LOLaMac

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
As a licensed pilot and avid user of Pro Flight Sim. This is by far the most realistic you can find. Check for yourself. Have a good day to all!

http://80d335uemh8zog9j58ieu2qr1z.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=4984SN5M

Hmmm. Nice video of some animated words, I guess? And why is that when I click on 'screenshots' it says "check out the amazing rendering" then gives me a bunch of 320x200 pictures to look at. Yeah, the rendering looks amazing.....if I could actually make it out lol. And why when I click on some of the screenshots, presumably to enlarge them, it just takes me down to the "ORDER NOW!!!!" part of the page? Tacky.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
IL-2 1946 Amazing windows game. Very steep learning curve but you can practice at "noob" levels and bump it up as you get better.

RAHelland

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2010
Hi everyone.

I am currently a owner of X-plane 9 together with a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Pedals and Quadrant setup.

The System/setup worked fine together with only the standard setup with 3 levers, but when i added the 3 extra levers in the setup x-plane got crazy.

First time when i fired up the game with the quadrant I programmed the buttons as i like it within X-plane setup, it worked fine and I was happy.
But, when I shutdown the game and start it up another day everything is changed and i need to reprogram the setup, meaning the yoke, levers, pedals and buttons.

Running this on my mac with OSX.

Any ideas on what the problem is? :)

flymacscruffy

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
xplane

Don't see how xplane is so great. It does not have other air traffic to contend with as does Microsoft. Why would you want to fly alone in an empty sky? or at an empty airport? If you have xplane that includes other air traffic please let me how you got to that point.
Thanks.
flymacscruffy.

yanr

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
I'm a huge fan of the MS Flight Simulator series. Having a few quality add-on aircraft (e.g. anything from PMDG, Level D Simulations) and flying online with VATSIM/IVAO makes the game extraordinarily realistic. I only recommend this if you are a serious simmer though, this path is definitely not for someone who wants to boot up the game and start flying.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Hi everyone.

I am currently a owner of X-plane 9 together with a Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Pedals and Quadrant setup.

The System/setup worked fine together with only the standard setup with 3 levers, but when i added the 3 extra levers in the setup x-plane got crazy.

First time when i fired up the game with the quadrant I programmed the buttons as i like it within X-plane setup, it worked fine and I was happy.
But, when I shutdown the game and start it up another day everything is changed and i need to reprogram the setup, meaning the yoke, levers, pedals and buttons.

Running this on my mac with OSX.

Any ideas on what the problem is? :)
I have the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and the Quadrant setup connected to my Core i7 Hackintosh running Snow Leopard and X-Plane 9. Everything works fine all the time. Perhaps you messed up the settings when you added the extra levers. Re-check every setting again.

In that same computer, I have 3 hard drives. On the second hard drive, I have installed Windows 7, 64 bit and also the latest version of MS Flight Simulator X. The problem with it is that it refuses to accept most of my attempted settings to the controls. The ones that are accepted no longer work the next time I boot up. After many attempts, I have stopped using MSFSX.

everafter

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
The best flight simulator

Excellent product. Scenery and clouds looks super realistic. Been flying the sim for over 20 years and this is the best one yet. Even if you have owned previous Flight Sims before, try ProFlightSimulator you will definitely like it

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Excellent product. Scenery and clouds looks super realistic. Been flying the sim for over 20 years and this is the best one yet. Even if you have owned previous Flight Sims before, try ProFlightSimulator you will definitely like it

Wow, Mac compatible. It would interesting to see how it's flight model is set up. X-Plane computes drag/performance based on airframe computations. Most home flight sims compute performance based on chart data. Does it make much difference? On some levels, no. On others, yes.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
To quote the OP:

Which flight simulator game is the best in you opinion ?

The best flight simulator in my opinion is Condor, The Competition Soaring Simulator , but that's because I'm a glider pilot!

Unfortunately, it's a Windows-only app, but it does a superb job of modeling the flight dynamics and weather that soaring pilots are interested in. You get to fly all the modern racing sailplanes, connect to servers to fly with others in realistically scored competitions, and use scenery from great soaring areas around the world. Both aerotow and winch launches are simulated.

OK, I know it's quite a small niche, but if anyone is interested in flying gliders / sailplanes, they should check it out.

Regards,
Brian33

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wow, Mac compatible. It would interesting to see how it's flight model is set up. X-Plane computes drag/performance based on airframe computations. Most home flight sims compute performance based on chart data. Does it make much difference? On some levels, no. On others, yes.

On a "playing a game on a computer" level, it makes no difference. When flying stock planes, I can't really tell the difference between a Cessna 172 in Microsoft Flight Sim, a Cessna 172 in X-Plane, and my (limited) experience in a real Cessna 172. Both sims are very faithful recreations.

But as a former Aerospace Engineering student (when X-Plane 1.0 came out,) I can attest to the HUGE difference between MSFS and X-Plane when designing. In MSFS, you design a physical model, and you specify flight characteristics. The two have nearly no bearing on each other. You could make an SR-71 that flies like a Sopwith Camel; or a 747 that flies like an aerobatic soarer.

But in X-Plane, the physical design *DEFINES* the flight characteristics. If your physical design is incapable of flight, guess what, it won't fly.

barryswanson

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
I would like to buy a mac compatable yoke and controls to play x plane. I also dont want to pollute my mac with windows. Any suggestions other than the CH product?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I've always found MS FSX (aka ESP/Lockheed-Martin Prepar3D) really involving, mainly due to the very advanced addons available for it.

We can get addons with very advanced features, I'm thinking of planes like the MD-11 by PMDG.

Example: Fly at 210kts around 6000ft with flaps down. Retract the flaps. What happens? Siren goes off and "lo-speed protection" kicks in, speeding the plane up to 240kts.

Though I'm not often flying that - I prefer Concorde X, it's faster to get from one place to another and a lot more involving. I love the older style navigation techniques used for that, the inertial navigation system, flying holds the traditional way, flying over the beacon at Ockham and entering the hold on the required heading, watching the distance from the beacon and then doing your turn for the other leg of the holding pattern. That's really involving. Same with the descent, no automatic "top of descent" features, you've got to look at the winds and weather and work out from the charts how long it will take to descend - and keep a close watch on wind and temps in order to avoid slowing down too soon (slow and inefficient) or not soon enough (meaning too high/too fast).

But I also like the fact that once you are up and running, it can be highly automated - and you really just keep a watch on it to make sure it does what you expect. And it's a challenge for me to try and find ways to make trans-atlantic crossings faster. ;) I also love that I can follow the real Air France Concorde checklists and procedures I have on a computer simulator. That's good. It was so much like the real thing.

I only wish FSX wasn't so computer heavy. My old computer was a Quad-core Intel i7 920 PC with a GTX295 video card - fast indeed, but not fast enough to do steady 30fps at mid to high detail.

I'm out of that at the moment since that machine died - and will hopefully get back into it when the new Mac Pro arrives (a dual use machine for work and gaming).

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
MFSX is a major resource hog. I was amazed actually at the timing of when MFSX was made. I mean. How in the world did they actually have a machine that could run that game well, back when they made it? As far as consumers were concerned, no machine at that time, existed. We have PCs made multiple generations since the machines of that time struggle with that game trying to do anything like the advertisement screenshots had shown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.