Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
how do you rip a tv show with handbrake so that it rips the episodes into separate files, so i can add them into itunes tv show section????

when i click on source and find my inserted DVD i shows this:

how do i know which to choose?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 8.33.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 8.33.27 PM.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,238

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Once you have loaded the DVD into Handbrake, it will will show different titles with their run-times. Look for titles around 25 mins or 55 mins in length and those will be the episodes on the DVD. So if it's a DVD with four episodes that were broadcast in a 30 minute timeslot, you will see four titles each about 25 minutes in length. Add each title to your queue.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
how do you rip a tv show with handbrake so that it rips the episodes into separate files, so i can add them into itunes tv show section????

when i click on source and find my inserted DVD i shows this:

how do i know which to choose?

Hi, .

I personally recommend iFlicks because it tags things properly to iTunes. Check it out.
Use the "HD 720p" preset and it will tag encode and put the files on iTunes by itself.

Thanks
AE

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Once you have loaded the DVD into Handbrake, it will will show different titles with their run-times. Look for titles around 25 mins or 55 mins in length and those will be the episodes on the DVD. So if it's a DVD with four episodes that were broadcast in a 30 minute timeslot, you will see four titles each about 25 minutes in length. Add each title to your queue.

seemed to work but this is what shows up under the titles....there is only 6 episodes on the DVD with 30 min run time so they would be around 25mins....how do i know which to choose they are like 8 or 10 that long....do i just do the first 6 titles?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 8.56.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-30 at 8.56.12 PM.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 614

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
usually the first xx number of titles are the regular episodes, the extra titles are usually either the commentary versions, or they may be special features also on the disc. You can use the preview window (there should be a button with that name in the toolbar) to look at different sections then you can temporarily render and play a small bit to see what the title is.

I used xx for the number because not all discs contain 6 episodes, in your case there should be six regular episodes and the others are either of the options stated above.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
When I can't tell which "titles" in Handbrake correspond to which episodes on the DVD I play the disk in the DVD Player application and make note of the run times for each episode (start the episode and look at the scrubber bar to see how long it runs). THen you can compare run times to the times in Handbrake to figure out which is which.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
You could also select the title and choose the preview window and see if it is the commentary episode or not

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
When I rip TV episodes using Handbrake, I use DVD Player 1st and note which title goes with which episode. If you don't know for sure the title number for each episode, your results will be hit or miss.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
For the most part, Handbrake places the actual episodes at the beginning of the list. So for a 6 episode disc, the first 6 in the list are the episodes. That's how it's been for me for almost every TV show I've ripped.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
For the most part, Handbrake places the actual episodes at the beginning of the list. So for a 6 episode disc, the first 6 in the list are the episodes. That's how it's been for me for almost every TV show I've ripped.

It's been my experience that Handbrake puts the titles in numeric order. However, HB has no idea which titles are actual episodes. It really depends on how the disc is authored. I recently worked with some DVDs where the first 3 episodes were titles 1-3, but the 4th would be some other (apparently random) title, like 7 or 8. I've also worked with DVDs that had something like 99 titles and the episodes were spaced out throughout, but were never sequential.

The fact of the matter is that you cannot count on titles starting with 1 and going sequentially. You need to figure out what the actual title numbers are (most likely by playing the DVD) and selecting those title numbers in Handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.