Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelTGM

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Hey guys I got a sim card that I have cut down to fit into the iPhone 4, and so I've backed up my iPhone, now I need to restore it to get rid of the jailbreak. In the guide here on the forum, it says you restore through itunes. Well when I click that, it tells me it will restore to factory settings and install the new updated OS. I'm afraid this sim card I have cut might not work, so I don't want to risk updating to 4.2 right now. Can I restore my phone to factory settings by just doing it in the phone itself? Like if I go to general settings, and "erase all content and settings", will this remove the jailbreak the same way? Thanks!

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
Hey guys I got a sim card that I have cut down to fit into the iPhone 4, and so I've backed up my iPhone, now I need to restore it to get rid of the jailbreak. In the guide here on the forum, it says you restore through itunes. Well when I click that, it tells me it will restore to factory settings and install the new updated OS. I'm afraid this sim card I have cut might not work, so I don't want to risk updating to 4.2 right now. Can I restore my phone to factory settings by just doing it in the phone itself? Like if I go to general settings, and "erase all content and settings", will this remove the jailbreak the same way? Thanks!

NO, don't ever try erase all content on a JBed iPhone. Do you by any slim chance have SHSH blobs saved for the current firmware? This is yr only chance to restore to anything but the current fw (that is still being signed by Apple)

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
"Erase all content..." will delete everything off the phone, including OS. Thus, will force you to restore also. Apple uses SHSH security check to allow / deny what firmware you can restore to. In most cases, they only allow the current firmware, right now 4.2.1. If you saved old SHSH files while Apple was still allowing / sending them out, you can trick iTunes to restore you phone to an old firmware. Thus, did you save your old SHSH files? And, SHSH files are unique to each device and firmware version.

JoelTGM

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
NO, don't ever try erase all content on a JBed iPhone. Do you by any slim chance have SHSH blobs saved for the current firmware?

I don't know what SHSH blobs is. I am new at this, so all I have done is used greenpois0n to activate and jailbreak this phone. I have done nothing else to it.

JoelTGM

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
oh I get it. So either way I will lose 4.1 . Hm. Oh well, if this fails I will just use the tethered jailbreak for 4.2 I have heard about.

edit: hey I think my sim card worked. It was asking for a sim card after the restore, and when I put it in and hooked it up to itunes it let me restore my backup. Instead of saying no sim card, it says no service (because I'm using an unactivated sim card).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.