Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paddingtonpear

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
UK
My ATC unit is FINALLY creating a squadron website and we need a digital version of our unit logo. We only have embroidered logos but we want to get a digital version of it made for the website and other media purposes such as headed paper. Could any body whip one up of the image bellow minus the obvious looney tunes character? Cheers MR!!!

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 349

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
You could try contacting the "Embroider" and see if they could get you a digital copy.

paddingtonpear

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
UK
You could try contacting the "Embroider" and see if they could get you a digital copy.

We already tried but they don't keep designs for more than a year and this design is over ten years old. The worst part is we lost the original and only digital file of it. :(

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
hey.

for free? for real? it'd be easy enough to do. but time consuming. I spent 12 minutes doing this...sloppily. it's a start. Someone else could finish it if they want.

it would take me a bit to do it properly.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 223

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
a step closer to a digital version

I presume you only need a fairly small size?

this is a step closer....or further depending on how you approach the thing.

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,130

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
My ATC unit is FINALLY creating a squadron website and we need a digital version of our unit logo. We only have embroidered logos but we want to get a digital version of it made for the website and other media purposes such as headed paper. Could any body whip one up of the image bellow minus the obvious looney tunes character? Cheers MR!!!
Do you really mean that your squadron emblem exists nowhere on Earth except as an embroidered patch? No stickers, no lawn signs, no posters, no business cards, no letterhead, no custom binders, no nothing? If any of these exist, then you could scan small stuff or photograph larger stuff.

The kind of logo that you want usually has much more detail than is possible in an embroidered patch. Except at very small sizes, a simple trace-and-fill of the patch is likely to produce unsatisfactory results. If you do not have a non-thread version of the patch somewhere, then the required detail will have to be created from scratch. The lettering will be easiest. The Wile E. Coyote cartoon character will also be relatively easy. Photographs or illustrations of the same model automatic rifles used for the crossed rifles most be located and used to create the detail in that part of the logo.

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
The lettering will be easiest. The Wile E. Coyote cartoon character will also be relatively easy. Photographs or illustrations of the same model automatic rifles used for the crossed rifles most be located and used to create the detail in that part of the logo.

a few minutes in photoshop could "fake" the detail needed to make the guns look real. It's all just highlights, really. And, yes, Wile E Coyote was easy. You probably noticed that I removed him.

This logo won't look so hot for print at small size. But, it will probably look good enough for the web.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
a few minutes in photoshop could "fake" the detail needed to make the guns look real. It's all just highlights, really. And, yes, Wile E Coyote was easy. You probably noticed that I removed him.

This logo won't look so hot for print at small size. But, it will probably look good enough for the web.
I completely and totally disagree. To properly recreate the patch, you should use a vector graphics application like Illustrator®. The illustration will then will be correct irrespective of the magnification. A PDF version of the illustration can then be distributed and used anywhere. As for Wile E. Coyote, my take is that he is the squadron's mascot. You can no more remove him than you can remove Santa Claus from Christmas.

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I completely and totally disagree. To properly recreate the patch, you should use a vector graphics application like Illustrator®. The illustration will then will be correct irrespective of the magnification. A PDF version of the illustration can then be distributed and used anywhere. As for Wile E. Coyote, my take is that he is the squadron's mascot. You can no more remove him than you can remove Santa Claus from Christmas.

3 things.

a) edit...Nope, photoshop is sufficient to fake or recreate nearly anything. It's power and application is only limited by the skill & imagination of the end user. I would put this job as (on a scale of 1-10) about a 4 in level of difficulty.

b) the OP request Wile E Coyote be removed. Check the first post.

c) I don't know about anyone else - but I wouldn't need illustrator to do the job. The client wants it for web, and for print. When the client states he wants a digital version, I presume he means "smooth" colors, instead of the textured color (a result of the threading from the patch). This is easily accomplished in photoshop. Illustrator? Hmmmm....

cheers.

Last edited:

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I think that what the OP requires/needs is a digital recreation of the emblem not a "touched" up version of the original embroidery. The emblem is in effect a brand logo and as such should always be created by a vector package such as Illustrator, so that id can be used on the web or in print at any size on any media.

This would be easy enough to do although areas that are currently lacking detail such as the crown at the top and the rifles would require some research on-line to find similar to "fill in the gaps".

I've done very many of these kind os re-draws, but OP they can be time consuming and I'm not sure if you're going to find anyone who will do it for free.

paddingtonpear

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
UK
Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to try and help me out. I know it's a a time consuming process but someone has kindly offered to do the task for free so I'm requesting that this thread be closed. Once again, thanks for all the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.