Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arpiuk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Hello everyone,

Has anyone got their Orange UK iPhones yet? Do they offer the Visual Voicemail feature?

And does anyone know if Vodafone will offer it?

thank you

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
I actually can't believe how poor this is from Orange. It's probable that this may change in the future as I'm sure it would only require a few minor software changes to the Orange voicemail system, but still it just seems to be one cock-up after the other...

rezmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
I'm not a lawyer, but in my opinion this is a case of mis-selling. Nowhere in the product advertising material does Orange mention that a core feature of the iPhone is missing. Visual Voicemail isn't a third party app, it's a core feature of the phone, which has been advertised by Apple from day one of marketing. I was told by four individuals working for Orange that staff had been given training in which they were told that no feature of the iPhone has been tampered with or changed. Orange staff were not told that an important feature was missing.

I complained about the situation and made clear the case at my local Orange store and after 4 days of escalating the complaint to senior sales managers, Orange has given me the option to cancel my contract without any charge. The store manager did mention, however, that Orange intend to have Visual Voicemail up and running in Jan. 2010, but so far I haven't been given a guarantee.

jw12345678

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I asked our company Vodafone rep about Visual Voicemail, and he hadn't even heard of it. Of course at the time he didn't know that they were going to start selling the iPhone then either.

rezmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
That's funny.

I called Orange's dedicated iPhone support from the handset itself and the "technician" didn't know what Visual Voicemail was. I had to explain the feature in detail!

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Because Orange’s iPhone deal is so errr, minimal, this is the one thing that is preventing me moving away from o2 to Orange. Sort the visual voicemail out and I’ll be back in a flash.

joyofduck

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
I just spoke to Orange (UK) iPhone support today and asked when Visual Voicemail would be available.

The very polite support operative went away to 'talk to her manager'.

I was amazed when she came back to tell me that it was already available:

"I have instructions on how to activate it on your phone. Select the Phone app icon and then click on the voicemail icon at the bottom of the screen. Your iPhone will prompt you to record a message...."

'Hang on' says I, this is the bog standard Apple instructions for setting up a new phone.

She eventually admitted to not knowing what VV was and Googling the answer. She found it on the Orange web site, that is the Swiss Orange web site. Grrrrr.

Suffice to say that Orange UK still have no idea when VV will be available, but that an iPhone support boss ('my boss' boss' no less) says that it WILL be available real soon now.

Poor show Orange, but at least your support people are very prompt and polite.

Astorey2010

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Visual voicemail

Hello everybody let me help you clear all this up once and for all, i used to work for Orange UK, but i've just left the company to work for JD Wetherspoons ( The pub chain ) basically, visual voicemail isen't avaliable on Orange UK due to our network infastruture with our voicemail software, it cannot support VV which is very stupid because as another use pointed out about the Orange sweeden, and the other 30 euro countrys supported by orange ie, Orange France, when they heard news of them getting the iphone the first thing to happen was the network upgraded to support the iphone.. 1 of the upgrades including Visual voicemail. the others smaller things like upgrading the 2G masts to 3.5G...Edge masts etc.. but yeah, so to sum things up in a bombshell.. ( sorry, clarkson moment ) ( top gear lol )

WILL ORANGE BE GETTING VISUAL VOICEMAIL..

*this is what we had to tell customers*

NO, ORANGE UK WILL NOT BE GETTING VISUAL VOICEMAIL AT THIS PRESENT TIME, NOR IN THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE, ALTHOUGH WE DO HOPE TO MAKE THIS AVALIABLE TO OUR CUSTOMERS IN THE NEAR FUTURE, ( hence why my iphone is on O2-UK haha :p )

If anybody needs any more info from inside orange ETC...Drop me a message (Y) :D:D

dansalmon

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2010
London
No Visual Voicemail from Orange UK

I made a support request to Orange UK and just had their reply:

Thank you for your email regarding visual voicemail. Unfortunately, we have no update regarding visual voicemail on the Apple iPhone. We can confirm that it is something our technical team are looking into, but we do not have a date when it will be available.

I am sorry that I have been unable to fully help you on this occasion and I hope this information is of assistance.

So it looks like there's no visual voicemail on it's way from Orange. At least not in their plans as of 11 June 2010.

Guess if Orange aren't interested in offering the full iPhone experience, then I'll have to make the move to O2 when my contract comes up for renewal.

I also do agree that it was a wee bit on the dishonest side of Orange to not mention the lack of this key feature when I signed up for my iPhone.

OJcamden

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Orange crippling the iPhone

I too would like to change to Orange, for their Orange Wednesday promotions, with the iPhone 4 but would be very disappointed to lose visual voicemail.

According to Apple tethering is not available in all countries...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/more-features.html

But it doesn't make the same disclaimer about visual voicemail...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/phone.html

Wonder if they are aware of Orange's lack of visual voicemail as it is one of the iPhone's USP's

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
So is O2 still the only UK operator that properly supports the iPhone? I thought the reason Apple made an exclusive agreement with O2 was because they were the best operator to do things properly. I assumed that the other networks had finally managed to tweak their networks to suit the iPhone. Sounds like Apple just lowered their standards.

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
So,
Does anyone know if this has changed yet. I can't see anything on Oranges web site and wounded if any uses would know any different?

Tim
:confused:

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
So,
Does anyone know if this has changed yet. I can't see anything on Oranges web site and wounded if any uses would know any different?

Tim
:confused:

O2 is the only carrier to offer visual voicemail. Hullomail is a good alternative. Shame though, I too want native VV on Orange.

LazyMonkIE

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Visual Voicemail on Orange

All,

I just spoke with Orange Customer Services.

I asked: "When will Visual Voicemail be available on the iPhone?"

The reply: "We are not giving out a date as nobody has a clue."

I was placed on hold so the operator could check with the technical department and they echoed the operators reply.

Interesting to note that even the operator was annoyed that Orange does not yet support this feature.

When I purchased my iPhone on Orange (I moved from O2 where VV worked) I was told it would be available in 2 months. Then I was told November. Then December. Now, they don't know. This is being miss-sold!

I feel an email to MoneySavingExpert to see if we can get compensation for this, WatchDog so Orange gets the bad press coverage it deserves, Trading Standards to hit them where it hurts, and OffCom so they can ignore it and let the operators do what they like as usual...

Anyone else have an update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.