Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Hey i really hate cases, because they make the devices design obsolete. What for do you have the beauty if you're gonna cover it with a clunky case?

However during a recent holiday it would've made sense because of water that damaged my current phone and i lost the backlighting.

Does anybody know of sleek, thin, waterproof cases (which also covers the glass front) for such holiday purposes?

Any suggestions?

Hovey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2009
TN
Only one I know of

This is big, but any water tight case is going to be because of the gaskets to seal out the water.
http://www.pelican-case.com/i1015.html

pelican-flashlights_2109_6226286

phpsocialclub

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I like the DryCASE

I use both a iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 in my drycases

It is 100% waterproof and uses a vacuum seal to keep out any water.

Since there is no air in the device, water can not get in.

DC-13-9.jpg

Check it out at Drycase.com

I think they have one for iPad as well.

jwandro

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Ziploc bag

I very infrequently need to worry about water. But I do occasionally take vacations at the beach. Instead of buying an expensive and bulky case I just use a Ziploc bag. Insert phone, suck the air out, and you have an ultra thin, ultra cheap, water and sand proof case. You can still use the touch screen, and photos come out just fine. Sure, it's not something you're going to take scuba diving with you, but for the occasional off chance that a rogue wave may nail me when the phone is in my pocket or to keep sand it out, it works great!

treeoflife

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
I very infrequently need to worry about water. But I do occasionally take vacations at the beach. Instead of buying an expensive and bulky case I just use a Ziploc bag. Insert phone, suck the air out, and you have an ultra thin, ultra cheap, water and sand proof case. You can still use the touch screen, and photos come out just fine. Sure, it's not something you're going to take scuba diving with you, but for the occasional off chance that a rogue wave may nail me when the phone is in my pocket or to keep sand it out, it works great!

ZIPLOC bags!! One of my favs to put in snacks, but I guess it would be useful for iPhones as well;;

Gil2264

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
As a farmer, I concur with the the ziploc bags. My 3G has spent a lot of time in one. The only downside I've noticed is sometimes the bag trips the proximity sensor, probably due to static buildup. But for cheap temporary protection, ziploc is totally water and dust proof

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I just use ziploc as well when I go hiking and there's a chance of getting water splashed on my phone.

jasonmanning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2011
According to internet test sites the Dry CASE DC13 is as close as you can get to perfection. The pelican is good to but keep in mind it is water resistant and not waterproof. I have a Dry CASE DC13 myself and whenever I take the jetski out for a ride my phone goes in it. Haven't had a any trouble ever and I would recommend that device.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I have one of these that I use on occasion:

Seal Line

It is intended to use without a case on the phone but I can jam my iphone 4 in there with my Speck Pixelskin HD on the phone.

• You can operate the iPhone through the case.
  • Doesn't add much bulk
  • Waterproof according to the company

Cons:
  • Only a very slight annoyance that the material isn't perfectly clear.
  • Would be nice if there was a just-so-slightly larger version so I could fit it in with something like a Otterbox Commuter or Speck Candyshell.

I picked it up at an outdoor store but I'm sure they can be found online.

Steve

Kenyon

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011
I put a few of these for sale on eBay; not the cheesy pouches, but a iPhone4 specific waterproof case!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140512549188&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

They work very impressively. I've made phone calls while surfing! Not able to use headphones (on this version, but I'm working on it), but both the front and rear cameras are functional. It also adds pretty good impact resistance as a bonus, with a little bit of silicone cushioning to protect the phone.

Some sample footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCun3uHtnU

tek210

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I may have missed it below, but I am looking for a case that will allow me to take video at a place like the beach, kayaking etc. Love a good surf shot. Have a drypak case but the back is blue.

What options are out there? Hoping for something at amazon as I have their prime service.

Joe

SamIl

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
Hey i really hate cases, because they make the devices design obsolete. What for do you have the beauty if you're gonna cover it with a clunky case?

However during a recent holiday it would've made sense because of water that damaged my current phone and i lost the backlighting.

Does anybody know of sleek, thin, waterproof cases (which also covers the glass front) for such holiday purposes?

Any suggestions?

I use the iLoc Phone Case for this.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
The Lifeproof is awesome. I was skeptical at first but my brother showed some interest in one so I got it for him for his birthday. It's actually not that big, especially compared to a tank like an Otterbox. And so far it's been 100% waterproof (put it in the sink and in a pitcher of beer).

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone here had any experience with Liquipel? I'm very seriously considering having this done. $60 for a gas coating of your entire phone to make it water resistant. That's cheaper than some cases, and it lets you run around naked.

abrahamsir

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
delhi
Thin Waterproof cases (iPhone4)

Thin waterproof cases is the very advance which used for the saving the all the utensil from the water.this will used as the building cover or car cover also we can use this as body cover.
tumor tissue

wcase

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
I doubt, very seriously, this thing is water proof. Look up water proof. It might be resistant but this ain't no Rolex.
Yes, dive with him I do not advise ... but if it falls into the water, you have every chance to get your iphone 4 or 4s workable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.