Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
My friend has an 3g running 4.1 and wants to JB and UL but has no sim card in the phone, Does she need to buy one, and if so what kind? Thanks in advance. The only thing it shows is where you can make an emergency call, thats it.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
My friend has an 3g running 4.1 and wants to JB and UL but has no sim card in the phone, Does she need to buy one, and if so what kind? Thanks in advance. The only thing it shows is where you can make an emergency call, thats it.

No you don't need a sim card to jailbreak. All the new jailbreaking software "hactivates" the iPhone.

You can't unlock the 4.1's baseband. Unfortunately you have to upgr ade to 4.2.1 along with upgrading the baseband to unlock. You can follow this guide here: http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13000 <--Mac

Windows --> http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12945

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
is always better if you use a SIM card to activate since Push and other things will work as they should (hacktivation sometimes messes things like these). Your friend should get a SIM card (old/new/borrowed/out of service/from the trash) from the carrier the iPhone was originally sold from...

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
is always better if you use a SIM card to activate since Push and other things will work as they should (hacktivation sometimes messes things like these). Your friend should get a SIM card (old/new/borrowed/out of service/from the trash) from the carrier the iPhone was originally sold from...

So basically it really dont matter where or what kind as long as its a SIM, am I understanding correctly? Or do I need an AT@T?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly.

So basically it really dont matter where or what kind as long as its a SIM, am I understanding correctly? Or do I need an AT@T?

If its locked to AT&T you will need any kind of AT&T sim.

david martin

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
Exactly.

If its locked to AT&T you will need any kind of AT&T sim.

Why do you need a AT&T Sim card to JB and UL?

I successfully JB with a T mobile card, or I at least think I did. I am having issues installing Cydia, (as you might remember from my thread a little further down the page). Could not having a AT&T Sim effect Cydia not installing correctly? It doesn't make sense that it would, but I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff.

prasoc

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
I just unlocked and jailbroken a 3GS with no sim installed. Works absolutely fine (for me atleast): finds a carrier, phones, etc.

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
I just unlocked and jailbroken a 3GS with no sim installed. Works absolutely fine (for me atleast): finds a carrier, phones, etc.

Which one did you use Limera1n or another? Cause when I hook this one up it wont let me do anything at all. I can click "let it rain" then it tells me to hold the power and home then it tells me nothing else.

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
I went to iclarified and done what it said, I now have a at@t SIM but itunes wont recognize it. Tells me to insert valid sim, I cant move to step 2. PLEASE HELP

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I went to iclarified and done what it said, I now have a at@t SIM but itunes wont recognize it. Tells me to insert valid sim, I cant move to step 2. PLEASE HELP

is you iPhone from the US or from another country, if it is originally from another country then you need the SIM from that original carrier...

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
is you iPhone from the US or from another country, if it is originally from another country then you need the SIM from that original carrier...

No it's not, and I just now inserted an active Att SIM and still get nothing. I've tried to toggle airplane mode, try turning on/ off, still no results. Do you experts have any input for a beginner. The JB seems to be working fine, I've also tried to reinstall ultraslow.

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
No it's not, and I just now inserted an active Att SIM and still get nothing. I've tried to toggle airplane mode, try turning on/ off, still no results. Do you experts have any input for a beginner. The JB seems to be working fine, I've also tried to reinstall ultraslow.

It's telling me no SIM

duramaxman1

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
What would happen if I took the sim out of my iPhone 4 that's JB but NOT UNLOCKED,and put it in this phone which is updated to 6.15? Will it screw my phone up if I put it back in, I would like too make sure the sim that my friend gave me is good.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

if the iPhone come from another place than the US then you need a SIM card from the country the iPhone was originally sold in to be able to activate it (an original carrier SIM card)... you can always hacktivate w/ the new redsn0w if you are having trouble...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.