Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samk8000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
toronto, ontario
I am in grade 8 in Ontario and I see people using laptops in class and I am wondering if it would be a safe bet that they would allow me to use my iPad in schools

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Cant hurt to try. Whats the worst that can happen? They confiscate it till end of day and give it back?

You could always just go into the office and ask one of the secretarys or the principle and see what they say. Believe it or not, they arent out to get ya lol.

samk8000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
toronto, ontario
Cant hurt to try. Whats the worst that can happen? They confiscate it till end of day and give it back?

You could always just go into the office and ask one of the secretarys or the principle and see what they say. Believe it or not, they arent out to get ya lol.

Thanks, how is printing on the iPad, is airprint easy to use?

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I am in 8th grade and I bring my laptop in 2-3 days a week and I see other people bring in laptops and iPads all the time!

I am sooooo getting the next iPad to bring to school just because it is lighter (and it double duties as fun at home :):apple:

Last edited:

samk8000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
toronto, ontario
The only thing I'd worry about would be the fact that the printer isn't wireless can't the iPad can't print without wireless so I'd have to print everything at home or email a document to myself to print.

TomCondon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Pen and Paper does have its advantages over typing in the classroom, especially at that level.

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
It's hard to practice cursive on an iPad.

The real question is, when did elementary/middle schools get wifi? I was lucky if there was an extra 5 1/4" floppy disk copy of Oregon Trail when I was in elementary school.

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
It's hard to practice cursive on an iPad.

The real question is, when did elementary/middle schools get wifi? I was lucky if there was an extra 5 1/4" floppy disk copy of Oregon Trail when I was in elementary school.

Who writes in cursive anymore? Actually... Who writes anymore? haha But I would almost bet that there is an app for that. If not, a MacRumors reader is off to his computer to design iCursive as we speak. lol

I do miss the old floppy disk Oregon Trail on a black and green, or blue and white screened computer. I loved growing up in the 90's. I was in school through this entire transformation of technology (graduated college in May). It has been crazy how far computers and phones have come in that short period of time, and I was lucky enough to experience all of it.

To me iPads really make sense in a learning environment. I also think iPads are going to be implemented everywhere. The possibilities for iPads are INCREDIBLE! We just need more businesses to step up and get the apps out!

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
Who writes in cursive anymore? Actually... Who writes anymore? haha But I would almost bet that there is an app for that. If not, a MacRumors reader is off to his computer to design iCursive as we speak. lol

I do miss the old floppy disk Oregon Trail on a black and green, or blue and white screened computer. I loved growing up in the 90's. I was in school through this entire transformation of technology (graduated college in May). It has been crazy how far computers and phones have come in that short period of time, and I was lucky enough to experience all of it.

To me iPads really make sense in a learning environment. I also think iPads are going to be implemented everywhere. The possibilities for iPads are INCREDIBLE! We just need more businesses to step up and get the apps out!

Lol yeah, I just wish I could see the look on the OP's face when he's like "floppy disks were never that big, and what the heck is Oregon Trail??"

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I am in grade 8 in Ontario and I see people using laptops in class and I am wondering if it would be a safe bet that they would allow me to use my iPad in schools

laptops in 8th grade? for what?

Taking notes and doing assignments.

I am in 8th grade and I bring my laptop in 2-3 days a week and I see other people bring in laptops and iPads all the time!

I am sooooo getting the next iPad to bring to school just because it is lighter (and it double duties as fun at home :):apple:

When I was in 8Th Grade, we always did stuff on paper. It feels weird thinking about bringing computers to school. However, we had a class set of laptops (iBook G4s) to do any online activities. We used them rarely, maybe 2 times a month. Same thing in high school - no one really brings laptops. I haven't seen any in class but I see a few around campus. We also have a class set of MacBooks though - which we use to take tests and some activities (my school is trying to go green)

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Lol yeah, I just wish I could see the look on the OP's face when he's like "floppy disks were never that big, and what the heck is Oregon Trail??"

I remember playing Oregon Trail and Nanosaur in elementary school alllllll the time. Good times....

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Wow, I'm grade 8 and I live in Edmonton, we don't use our own laptops. Do grade 8s in Ontario write notes that much? People just use their iPod touches to secretly play games in spare class time :D

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008

I dont see why not. My friends son is in the 5th grade and the school assigned MacBook airs and iPads to them the first day of school. Most assignments are done via iPad and submitted via email to the teacher. Large assignments requiring word etc are done on the air. And the print function works fine for him also.

hockeyhammer

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Canada
Im in grade 7 in Ontario and we are allowed to use our laptops in class, I will be using my MBA when I get it (hopefully soon after Christmas) I was also part of a group that entered our school in a contest to win a $20,000 grant from best buy for technology, so hopefully if we win we will become more forward in tech and have an apple computer lab!

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
I dont see why not. My friends son is in the 5th grade and the school assigned MacBook airs and iPads to them the first day of school. Most assignments are done via iPad and submitted via email to the teacher. Large assignments requiring word etc are done on the air. And the print function works fine for him also.

What school in their right mind would hand out MBAs and iPads to a bunch of 10 year olds? I just don't see that necessary. This has got to be either a VERY expensive private school or the parents were required to put down one hell of a security deposit. I'm sorry, but you just don't hand out $1500+ (and I'm going by US prices here, not sure where you are) worth of technology to a 10 year old.

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
Im in grade 7 in Ontario and we are allowed to use our laptops in class, I will be using my MBA when I get it (hopefully soon after Christmas) I was also part of a group that entered our school in a contest to win a $20,000 grant from best buy for technology, so hopefully if we win we will become more forward in tech and have an apple computer lab!

Don't count on it being a big lab unless your school is willing to put forth a good chunk of their own money.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
What makes you so sure it will be lighter? I doubt apple will change the design in the 2nd gen, I'd rather imagine a new design in the 3rd or 4th gen iPad, the new one will probably get a cam or two and more ram..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.