Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajstokes24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Hi, i have always been reluctant to jailbreak my iPhone as i bleeding love it too much to take the risk but i finally decided i will jump on in there and do it. The process seemed to go well using redsnow 0.9.6b5. The problem came when cydia wanted to install vital updates. I went for the complete update option within cydia. After downloading and installing them, cydia wanted to reboot the phone. Once rebooted i went to unlock it by the slidebar with no response on the touchscreen. Tried rebooting again by holding the power and home button together but still no luck. Also i have just tried restoring from a back up before the jailbreak. still no luck :mad: I sooo worried. what have i done to my precious iPhone? would restoring to factory setting help? please please please help me.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi, i have always been reluctant to jailbreak my iPhone as i bleeding love it too much to take the risk but i finally decided i will jump on in there and do it. The process seemed to go well using redsnow 0.9.6b5. The problem came when cydia wanted to install vital updates. I went for the complete update option within cydia. After downloading and installing them, cydia wanted to reboot the phone. Once rebooted i went to unlock it by the slidebar with no response on the touchscreen. Tried rebooting again by holding the power and home button together but still no luck. Also i have just tried restoring from a back up before the jailbreak. still no luck :mad: I sooo worried. what have i done to my precious iPhone? would restoring to factory setting help? please please please help me.

The new jailbreak is tethered. Meaning every time your iPhone needs to be rebooted, you turn it off/on, or the battery dies you need the software to turn it back on.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-04 at 3.20.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-12-04 at 3.20.20 PM.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 104

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010

Yo I'm MC Insecure, what's up?
I really don't think that I'm good enough
To be rhyming on this track cause my lyrics suck
All my verses fall flat like a hockey puck
It took me seven months to write the first part of my verse
And now I got nothing left so I'll pretend that I got hurt
Owww! Aw, I think I spread my ankle
You guys go ahead and finish the song without me

ajstokes24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
i understand this but to be able to boot from redsnow the phone has to be off which as far as im aware i cant turn it off with out being able to slide the bar to accept turning it off.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
The iPhone doesn't have to be off. Once your iPhone rebooted after finishing the Cydia updates, is when you needed to run redsn0w in tethered mode to turn your iPhone back on.

ajstokes24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
when i go into redsnow app. it has the option "just boot tethered right now" when i select this it asks me to make sure the phone is off before continuing but since i cant turn the phone off how am i meant to ensure this?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
when i go into redsnow app. it has the option "just boot tethered right now" when i select this it asks me to make sure the phone is off before continuing but since i cant turn the phone off how am i meant to ensure this?

Ignore the "turning iPhone off" bit. Go to the next page and follow the countdown.

ajstokes24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
i was under the impression that the phone will still work after been rebooted without redsnow but no jailbreak apps inc cydia will work.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
i was under the impression that the phone will still work after been rebooted without redsnow but no jailbreak apps inc cydia will work.

From the iPhone Dev-Team Blog: the bad news is that right now, the 4.2.1 jailbreak is *tethered* on all of these recent devices. A tethered jailbreak means that each time your device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, you must attach it to a PC or Mac to boot into the jailbroken state"

ajstokes24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
yeh that mentions to boot it too its "jailbroken state"!! The phone worked after cydia was installed without booting it from redsnow only difference was that cydia was just a blank box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.