Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lsg1

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
So after some manic hunting around it seems the fix is to completely uninstall PeerGuardian for OSX. I had to re-download the PeerGuardian installer dmg to get the uninstaller. I ran that twice (to be sure) and then re-launched the Steam app. Immediately could log in without issues...

Hope this helps...

I remember this happening to me years ago on windows too. PG must block Steam servers. Makes sense...
:eek:

Cheers to you, my good man! This solved my problem. I had SHUT DOWN peerguardian, opened my firewall, and opened about every single "sharing" option AND put my MBP in the DMZ, but still could not connect. Using PG's Uninstaller routine twice did the trick! THANK YOU. :apple:

LunaticRed

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Anchorage, Alaska
Similar problem

Just in case there are still people having problems, I had a similar problem, I got an error while trying to login saying something along the lines of "Can not connect to steam server".

Checked everything, and ended up finding the solution was to delete the preferences for steam (either manually delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam folder or use an app like AppCleaner).

I think the solution of turning off your network and using it in offline mode probably fixes the same problem (overwriting a corrupt preference file somewhere).

Anyhow, hope this helps someone.

atarria

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
Remove Mods

Have you added mods to your game? If so try removing those and then start up.
I played Torchlight fine for several days before adding a potion sacking mod. The next time I wanted to play the server was not connecting until I removed the mod.

crunchbox

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Cheers to you, my good man! This solved my problem. I had SHUT DOWN peerguardian, opened my firewall, and opened about every single "sharing" option AND put my MBP in the DMZ, but still could not connect. Using PG's Uninstaller routine twice did the trick! THANK YOU. :apple:

No worries mate!

AgnonWolf

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
I have the exact same problem it says: "Steam needs to be online to update. Pleace confirme your network connection and try again." any ideas? its driving me mad cause i just brought 2 new games to mac from steam and it was all the monney i had left this mounth... pleace come up whit a solution! :apple:

AgnonWolf

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
I have the exact same problem it says: "Steam needs to be online to update. Pleace confirme your network connection and try again." any ideas? its driving me mad cause i just brought 2 new games to mac from steam and it was all the monney i had left this mounth... pleace come up whit a solution! :apple:

EDIT: There was a folder in my <user>/Library/Application Support location called 'Steam' I deleted it and it worked fine.

Bloaspiepken

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
I did this:

In <user>/Library/Application Support location called 'Steam' , i deleted "userdata" and registry.vdf

Now steam will connect without problems, but you have to redownload your games. You better try it first with only deleting registry.vdf

deathtap

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Removing the Steam folder from:

user/Library/Application Support/

Worked. But you have to redownload everything.

I noticed that this happened after installing Apple updates from yesterday.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Removing the Steam folder from:

user/Library/Application Support/

Worked. But you have to redownload everything.

I noticed that this happened after installing Apple updates from yesterday.

No offense but this is not true. Steam content can be moved without having to download content a second time. See this Symbolic Link Guide for moving Steam Content. :)

And for what it's worth, I'm connecting to Steam on my Mac (MacOS) without issue.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Just in case there are still people having problems, I had a similar problem, I got an error while trying to login saying something along the lines of "Can not connect to steam server".

Checked everything, and ended up finding the solution was to delete the preferences for steam (either manually delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam folder or use an app like AppCleaner).

Thanks this helped me!

kwissylawrencek

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2007
-Move yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam Apps folder to the desktop.
-Delete yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam
-Open Steam, and login
-Close steam
-Move the Steam Apps folder on the desktop to yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam, and replace the existing one
-Start Steam

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I get this same problem on my iMac, it works fine on my MBP even with PG enabled.

I removed the Application support folder for steam and it started up, downloaded the update and then said I couldnt connect.

I removed it again and when it got to the login screen I created a new id and it got all the way through except when it went to login it said cannot connect.

I will try uninstalling PG when i get home. Any other ideas?

yrogerg77

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
keeping Steam Apps folder doesn't work

-Move yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam Apps folder to the desktop.
-Delete yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam
-Open Steam, and login
-Close steam
-Move the Steam Apps folder on the desktop to yourusername/Library/Application Support/Steam, and replace the existing one
-Start Steam

This solution did NOT work for me... After moving Steam Apps folder to my desktop and erasing the containing folder I was able to login to Steam (finally). However, after quitting Steam and moving the folder back the problem returned and Steam would not connect...

So it is my belief that the problem is somehow contained within the Steam Apps folder and erasing it completely does fix the issue, but as others have mentioned you will have to re-download your games/content. Oh well, no biggie...

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Fixed

Man, I tried for days to figure this out so I just wanted to pass along what happened.

After trying everything I could find on the subject (nothing working - arrrggg!!), I just happened to run Steam from the Spotlight after I had "un-installed" the program and it RAN! I guess I had somehow had two copies in the Applications folder and never knew it. I GUESS. Anyways, that fixed it. Crazy. Some others may have the same problem so I'm passing it on.

I did find the program AppCleaner (a free download) which might have saved me a lot of trouble had I just tried it first. I'd recommend looking into that as well if you're still stuck.

Good luck!

steviesteveo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
I had this problem too - on a new Mac. I found that taking out the ~/Library/Steam files got me back to a place where I was able to download an update but it still wasn't too happy. It'll try to update and then it"ll ask you to check it's really, really connected to the internet.

I suspect my problems when I closed the lid while it was downloading an update - it"s not liked it since.

snakelda

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2006
Az.

I think the solution of turning off your network and using it in offline mode probably fixes the same problem (overwriting a corrupt preference file somewhere).

THANKS!This worked for me!

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
This is getting beyond frustrating!!!

It happened to me a while ago, but after I deleted the registry file within Steam, the update worked.

However, recently the problem re-appeared. And this time around, deleting this file didn't help. I tried removing the SteamApps folder to my desktop and deleting the Steam folder, but it didn't help either.

I tried disabling my Firewall, and turning off Airport, but neither did work.

I'm not running PG or any such thing. What is there to do??? The only thing remaining is my router firewall. How do I disable that though?

Kupoback

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2009
Another solution, I don't know if people are still having issues, I was until I came here is change your firewall access if you aren't using an outside program like peer guardian.

I noticed if I added Steam to my firewall allowance, and disabled Stealth Mode, that I was able to get right in.

Everything else I tried did not help one bit, but this did.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I am getting this error too. Never ran Steam before,

New install of Steam. Downloaded .dmg today, clicked to open, dragged and dropped into apps folder, click in apps folder to open, get warning that it's an app that was downloaded from the internet, click ok.

The app opens a small window saying Updating Steam, 0kb of 34,590kb, then it stops, with "Unable to connect to Steam network".

Tried it with firewall off, same results.

No .plists to delete, nothing in ~/../App Support etc, as I've never run Steam before. Re-downloaded, reinstalled and tried again. Same results.

Something odd: I don't get asked for password when installing. I should be. Perhaps the installer is failing to ask for the right level of access?

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
I have the same problem - am trying to install Civ V on my Mac Pro.

Seems an absolute joke to me - why cant they put all the relevant files onto the DVD and then at least you could play the game. I cannot see any logical reason why Steam cannot access my network - everything else can...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
New information:

When I run the Steam installer from the downloaded .dmg disk image, it asks me for my admin password just like a proper installer.

Giving the password results in the installer failing: "Steam can't write to it's install dir. Make sure you're not trying to run from the disk image."

Apart from the grammar mistake, this shows there's something going wrong when the Steam installer is copied to the Applications folder. When run from Applications, it should be asking for admin password. It's not. That's a clue to the problem there.

EDIT: MacBook 2.2ghz, osx 10.6.5

Last edited:

ne0478

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
Im having the EXACT same problem as redtomato. tried moving steam to the desktop. no steam folder in ~users/library/application support.
so frustrated with this, it will update to around 28000 kb and then says unable to connect to steam network. asks for password when i try to open from disk image but will not when i try to run from applications folder. any help would be greatly appreciated.

ne0478

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
AHA i figured it out. If you cannot find a folder in your application support folder create one named "steam" and retry downloading it. I just did it and got it to work :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.