Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
I have recently downloaded the Carbonite app. After the trial period completed I have Carbonite daemon still running as process, their little icon with a red 'X' in the menu bar. I trashed the preferences pane. The preferences pane did not provide any mechanism to uninstall, neither does the install package.

So. . ., does anyone have a clue how to remove all this detritus from the machine short of a total reinstallation? There is no information from the Carbonite website about this.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I was always wondering why people download and/or use Carbonite and other such services when Mac has TimeMachine. I don;t care who is advertising on what radio show: it's useless. Buy a hard drive for $100 and save the hassle.

Sorry that this is a little off topic. I am just curious about this reality.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I was always wondering why people download and/or use Carbonite and other such services when Mac has TimeMachine. I don;t care who is advertising on what radio show: it's useless. Buy a hard drive for $100 and save the hassle.

In many ways I agree with you, but off line back up is a good failsafe.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
The De-Installtion of an Unwanted Application: Carbonite

Thanks for this link, I was not able previously locate this information. Also, further searching on another website for a potential work around I found what I was looking for in the /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons. The little icon in the right side menu is gone as well the Carbonite Daemon and Carbonite Status Update. Additionally, Console indicates these items are no longer in operation.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I would not say off site backup is useless. If your house burns down or floods, and your computer and external drive backup (Time Machine) go with it, what will you do? Before higher speeds on the Internet, I used to burn CDs and leave them at work, but that was a hassle.

I use TM for full backups and MobileMe for offsite backup of important data.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Why wouldn't you store important files in the cloud? It's free and is an excellent way to augment your physical backups.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Why wouldn't you store important files in the cloud? It's free and is an excellent way to augment your physical backups.

Well, whether it's dropbox, .mac, carbonite, or whatever, it's important to at least backup super important files to the cloud.

Yes make sure you use Time Machine at home. Only IDIOTS don't use Time Machine. There's NO excuse. If you are reading this, go plunk down $60 for an external drive connect it to your iMac/MacBook/Mini and say YES when OSX asks you if you want to use Time Machine.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Well, whether it's dropbox, .mac, carbonite, or whatever, it's important to at least backup super important files to the cloud.

Yes make sure you use Time Machine at home. Only IDIOTS don't use Time Machine. There's NO excuse. If you are reading this, go plunk down $60 for an external drive connect it to your iMac/MacBook/Mini and say YES when OSX asks you if you want to use Time Machine.

With Time Machine, you need to restore if you have a hardware failure. With a raid 1 mirror, just swap the drives and keep going. Not everyone has a use for Time Machine.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010

The challenges with the cloud are:

1. Upload speeds are excruciatingly slow
2. What happens if your particular data repository goes belly-up
3. I understand the data are encrypted, just saying...

Not disagreeing with you just throwing out a few what if's...

demingy

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
With Time Machine, you need to restore if you have a hardware failure. With a raid 1 mirror, just swap the drives and keep going. Not everyone has a use for Time Machine.

I agree with this - I use Carbon Copy Cloner and a 2.5" external drive. Anything happens, just replace the drive and move on. I *could* use Time Machine also, but I don't really see the point (for me).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Good points. You should choose your cloud storage companies wisely. I'm with Apple (iDisk), Dropbox and Microsoft (Live Mesh) in addition to physical backups. I feel my data is safe.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
My 'beef' with the Carbonite App. . .

Regarding Point #1: +10;
During the Carbonite trial period, the back-up process did not back-up as much as a fourth of the files I have; I only have about 140 GB of everything, system, apps, docs, audio,etc. But it sure was taking a big share of a Core i7 processor typically 100 - 130%. :mad: (WTFO!)

Point #2. +10 (again)
To this prospective client; I guess it sucks bein' me :(

Point #3: +10;
Hubba, hubba, hubba; who ya' gonna' trust?

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I have been using Backblaze for about 2 weeks so far, and I have not been throttled yet. I have probably 300GB on their servers so far.

I also have all my data on a two-disk raid-1 mirror, each "disk" of which is a 4x2TB raid-5 array. 6TB usable space, and 5/8 hard drives can fail simultaneously without losing data. If something happens to both arrays, I still have Backblaze.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Just checked, I have 660GB on Backblaze. As long as your upload speed is capable (I have Fios), Backblaze should work well.

I used Mozy and Carbonite in the past, and was throttled with both services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.