Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A-P-P-Baby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
So I've found a few threads on here almost helping me but not quite. I got a 1.5tb external hdd. My buddy loaded it up with tons of movies for me. Worked great for about one week. I hate my desktop being cluttered with icons so I decided to erase the icon on my desktop. Now I can't find my hard drive no matter what I do. Finder: it's not there. Disk utility: it's not there. It is plugged into the wall and thus a blue light emitting from the front and it is clearly plugged into the USB on the back of my Mac mini. I just can't find it anymore no matter what I do. Please help

A-P-P-Baby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Yes. Several hundred times. This has been going on for months. I have reset and rebooted both in every order I can think of. Still does not show up anywhere.

A-P-P-Baby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Well, I put my mouse pointer on the desktop icon of my external hdd. I then clicked and held the mouse button and dragged the icon into the trash and let go of the button, thus deleting the icon and apparently any way of my computer recognizing it ever again

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Well, I put my mouse pointer on the desktop icon of my external hdd. I then clicked and held the mouse button and dragged the icon into the trash and let go of the button, thus deleting the icon and apparently any way of my computer recognizing it ever again

On a mac (you are using a mac?) dragging a desktop disk icon to the trash results in the trash can turning into a up arrow and that disk will be ejected. Doesn't harm the disk. That is one of the safe ways to unmount a disk from your machine. So on a mac you didn't do anything wrong.

Can you put that disk into another enclosure... the enclosure itself could be bad.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
did you ever power off the external? if not power the external off. leave it off. then power the mini off. then boot the mini. then power the external on. let us know if it works.

also what is make and model of external hdd?

MR-B

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
Trash deleted my files by itself

Can Somebody please help me?

I was deleting some of my files in my external hard drive (NTFS) and than, i thought i should empty the trash aswell. Turns out that even the files i did not delete were in the trash folder. When i tried to restore the files some of my very important files have gone missing. they just vanished from the whole system. I have tried searching but the files are no where to be found.

Can somebody please tell me why that is, and if so how i can resolve the issue????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.