Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spuality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

For a project for my 3D class I'm making and iPhone 4. I have the iPhone 4 CAD drawing PDF from apple's website that I'm using for the dimensions. I don't know much about drafting, so I may be overlooking this, but I can't find what dimensions to fillet the rounded corners to. Does anybody out there know what it is? Am I just overlooking it? I know I could just guess and nobody would know the difference, but I'd like this to be accurate. Thanks for any help.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
you just said you have the iPhone cad drawing, doubt you'll find anything as technical as you are asking online

btw this thread sounds like you are trying to brag, there's no reason you would need to be 100% accurate for an art project. completely different story if this was for manufacturing

EverythingAppleLike

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
you just said you have the iPhone cad drawing, doubt you'll find anything as technical as you are asking online

btw this thread sounds like you are trying to brag, there's no reason you would need to be 100% accurate for an art project. completely different story if this was for manufacturing

I do have to agree, but if you are still looking it is around 30px

spuality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not trying to brag. Just trying to explain why I'm asking the question I'm asking.

spuality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007

Maybe I should restate my question:

Does anybody know the corner radius of the iPhone 4 corners?

jayo123456

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
0iphone4cad001.jpg

0iphone4cad002.jpg

0iphone4cad003.jpg

0iphone4cad004.jpg

ipsb11

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
It looks to me as though the center point of the camera lense (8.77 from the left) lines up vertically with the start of the radius on the top left corner of the phone; or close enough for your purposes. I would try that and see what it looks like.

BTW, what software are you using to model?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA

Trying to brag? What a d-bag statement. The guy asked a simple question that anyone who's taken a CAD class or works with CAD would understand

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Trying to brag? What a d-bag statement. The guy asked a simple question that anyone who's taken a CAD class or works with CAD would understand

+1

Seriously? He can't ask a simple question and get an answer?

Sounds like somebody is mad they flunked out of art school.

spuality

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
So, it would be pretty safe to say it's an 8.77mm radius (since that's the distance from the center of the rear camera to the edge). I probably should have noticed that before. Thanks everybody! I'm in a beginning Lightwave class, btw.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
A) he has the apple cad drawing
b) it show you the radius and distance of everything
c) I guess I mistook his lack of knowledge for trying to brag my bad

As someone who did CAD design using a CNC machine in high school (BASIC bitches!) I can attest that it is a time consuming process, but it's really not that difficult if you don't have to worry about making a final design. almost any structure can be made with boxes and circles, the iPhone is no exception. Something more complicated(ie you have to approximate) would be something with flowing curves, like an infinity g37, or a soda bottle.

Op sorry for the diss, but I'll help you out.

a cad design doesn't always have every single dimension, sometimes those need to be inferred from the rest of the drawing. To answer your question, the metal band and the iPhone glass both have the same center point, as you noticed it's the center of the camera

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Really I'm just happy to see the word "fillet." Haven't seen that one in a long time. Ahhh it seems so long since I bought home my copy of AutoCad from school on 10 floppy disks

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

LOL wow people...

spy008

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
If you're still trying to figure it out, it looks like if you draw out your basic rectangular shape which is 58.55 x 115.15 then use your auto fillet on those corners you'll end up with exactly the fillets you're looking for.

Gjeepguy

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
send me you email. i already drew it in autocad. i used the 8.77 dimension to the camera center.

Last edited:

mojirah

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
Orlando, FL
So, I hate to dig up old threads, but I have the same question about the iPhone 5 this time. And I'm still unsure about the iPhone 4 measurement. How did you decide it's the 8.77mm from the rear camera's iris center and not the 10.35mm from the front camera's iris?

Likewise, is the iPhone 5's 10.75mm or 7.35mm or 11.6mm?! See the green circles in the attached image.

11.6mm on the iPhone 5 seems like the logical number to me since it's where the glass ends and the aluminum backing begins. If you overlay the two phones there's pretty much no difference so I wonder how much tolerance really matters if you're making a plastic case (that's what I'm doing).

Thanks, all help is appreciated!
~Mo

16honwx.jpg

mojirah

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2008
Orlando, FL
No one? Screw it, since they seem so close I'll use the closest measurement to the iPhone 4's 8.77 which is 9.28 on the iPhone 5 (seemed to have missed that when looking at the drawings earlier).

laderk

Cancelled
May 28, 2013
No one? Screw it, since they seem so close I'll use the closest measurement to the iPhone 4's 8.77 which is 9.28 on the iPhone 5 (seemed to have missed that when looking at the drawings earlier).

Hi! Did you find a solution? I'm just looking on web for the iPhone5 corner radius, but i can't find anything..
Thanks for support!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

As someone who did CAD design using a CNC machine in high school (BASIC bitches!) I can attest that it is a time consuming process, but it's really not that difficult if you don't have to worry about making a final design. almost any structure can be made with boxes and circles, the iPhone is no exception. Something more complicated(ie you have to approximate) would be something with flowing curves, like an infinity g37, or a soda bottle.

a cad design doesn't always have every single dimension, sometimes those need to be inferred from the rest of the drawing. To answer your question, the metal band and the iPhone glass both have the same center point, as you noticed it's the center of the camera

get it!

mchnc

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
I'd assume that in the reality the corners are not just plain radius but tangentially continuous curves. Using plain radius would be quite 80ish from industrial design perspective.
But it is so close to radius that the drawings for casemakers don't need to reveal exact details. Cases are anyway flexible

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

How is that not bragging?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.