Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I just tried checking a voice mail and it played through but no sound through the ear receiver. Then I tried playing the voice mail over speaker and it worked well through the speaker.

So I had my girlfriend call me and when it was NOT on speaker she could not hear me talk nor could I hear anything she was saying. Then I put it on speaker during the same phone call and I could hear her talk through the speaker and she could hear me talk through the mic.

Two questions:

1) What do I have to do? I tried restarting the iPhone and no change, so now I feel like I am going to have to go restore it which will automatically give me the new software update 1.1.1. right?

2) Why does this even work like that? It makes it seem like the phone has two mics and one is used while on speaker and one is used while not on speaker, does this make sense? I cant imagine it being that way but it the thought is interesting and it seems to explain why the mic would work in one case and not the other.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
I had the exact same issue, but it only happened after I updated to 1.1.1. No sound was coming through when when i took phone calls or tried to listen to voice mail. I just restored the phone through iTunes and everything was fine. Not quite sure why it happened in the first place though.

OK, update...my speaker stopped working...into the store it goes tomorrow!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Try plugging in the iphone earbuds headset and then unplugging it again. Every once and a while it gets stuck thinking there's the earbuds plugged in.

drewfus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2006
Evanston, IL
Try plugging in the iphone earbuds headset and then unplugging it again. Every once and a while it gets stuck thinking there's the earbuds plugged in.

Yeah, that's actually what I thought it was at first and tried doing that with my iPhone buds, but that didn't work. That's when I decided to restore it, and all was well for about an hour and then all the sounds except for the ringer stopped working again, and people couldn't hear me, nor I them, on calls except on speakerphone.

Weird thing is that last night I was just about to make an appointment to bring it in to one of the Apple Stores today, but all of a sudden, I got a call and everything was working again, and up to now it's still working fine. Now I don't know if I should bring it in since I can't reproduce the symptoms consistently enough.

Juggler9000

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks for that tip. I just had to unplug and reinsert the headphones a few times. It would keep playing music when I pulled em out, as it didn't realize I disconnected them. Eventually, the phone paused when I removed the headphones. I tried the phone again and it worked as it should.

telschow

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks- I was having the same problem and plugging in and unplugging the headphones seemed to fix it.

Afterwards shaking it seemed to have some effect on it.

harlemink

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
Same thing happened to me. Plugging in and removing the headphones would correct the problem for a while, but once I got 1.1.1 my receiver would stop working for longer and longer periods of time before coming back to life randomly.

I sent it into apple and they have issued me a replacement phone that's on it's way!

snchpnz

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I just had that happen to me tonight for the first time. I was getting no sound through the earpiece. I could only make calls using the speakerphone and when I tried to listen to music no sound would come out of the speakers. I restored my iPhone but that didnt fix the problem. What finally fixed it was when I used my headphones to listen to music and after I removed them sound started coming out of the speakers and the phone worked again. I have been trying to re-create the problem but I cant figure it out. I am now worried that the problem will happen again and if I dont have my headphones with me I wont be able to fix it. I will either not be able to use my phone until I get home or I will have to use the speakerphone and have everyone listen to my conversation.

gorgegirl

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
thank you!

Thanks - plugging in and unplugging the headphones until the music figured out to pause when I unplugged them worked. It took about 4 times. Then the phone speaker worked fine. Getting the solution here from other users was SO much easier than trying to either call or go in to get Apple help. Thank you!

MadSparky

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks!

Wow, thanks guys... this totally saved me a trip. Yesterday I had the same problem with the receiver not working but everything was fine on Speaker phone. I was listening to music earlier in the day before the issue popped up.

It took about 4 times of plugging in the headphones before the issue went away.:eek:

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
happened to me, too

I didn't realize that plugging in the headphones did the trick, but it probably did (at the time). Hasn't happened since.

Nipun

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Microphone and speaker not working

My phones speaker and microphone is not working, nor can i listern to any songs. something strange is when i call up some one I can hear the caller tune but once the person on the other side takes the call i can't hear any thing. please help to know how to resolve this issue.:(

scottdt21

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Plugging/Unplugging Headphones Worked....with modification

Began to have this problem under ver 2.1 after getting a call while listening to music while the headphones were plugged in. Apple was no help and informed me my warranty on this 1st gen iPhone had just expired. Updated to ver 2.2 with still no help (didn't do a full restore).

Found the solution here but with one caveat..... plugging/unplugging the headphones while the music played did not work, so I tried doing so while under the original conditions - while listening to music on headphones and having a call come in. Unplugging the headphones while on the call restored sound to the receiver in the phone!!

murphizm

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Plugging/Unplugging Headphones Worked....with modification2

The 4x plug in-and-out works and ive had to use this trick several times since I got my iphone a year ago, but a few days ago it didnt work. I tried all of the suggestions above in various modes to try to reinitialize and even restored the phone, but to no avail.

one last shot - i took off the protective cover and...bingo the 4x trick worked! must have been some sort of mechanical interference caused by the cover. so add that to that annoying "my iphone receiver isn't working" checklist

Mindgame

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2006
This has been happening to me on and off for about a month. It has gotten progressively worse and I can only hear calls over the speaker phone now. And some times that doesn't even work. Annoying. I don't use ear buds, and I can't picture carrying them around just so I can plug them in and out 4x to hear a call I should be able to hear normally. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of bringing my phone the the Genius Bar to see if it was a hardware issue, but I have one of them there unlocked ones...

khunte12

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
mine still won't work...

I have had this problem, too.
When I make calls, I can only hear through the headphones and the speaker. Not the receiver. I have the volume when I make calls all the way up and I still can't hear them
They can hear me talking, but I can't hear them.
When I use the ipod, the speaker works. It seems like everyone else had problems with the ipod messing up, too.
I tried the thing with taking the headphones out and everything, and that didn't do anything to change the receiver during the calls.
Any suggestions?

One4me999

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Dont input amped sound into headphone jack!

A while ago I tried recording a DJ set by plugging the output of my amp into my headphone jack. Bad idea. I started to smell burning coming from the headphone jack. Ever since i did this I have the same problems as you guys. No sound unless on speakerphone. Mic only works on speakerphone. Headphones work fine. Something that is weird- shortly after a speaker phone call ends all my regular sounds work. With that said I imagine there is actually a way for all my sounds to work, but how to produce that exact condition manually is something I need help with.

busyspin

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Began to have this problem under ver 2.1 after getting a call while listening to music while the headphones were plugged in. Apple was no help and informed me my warranty on this 1st gen iPhone had just expired. Updated to ver 2.2 with still no help (didn't do a full restore).

Found the solution here but with one caveat..... plugging/unplugging the headphones while the music played did not work, so I tried doing so while under the original conditions - while listening to music on headphones and having a call come in. Unplugging the headphones while on the call restored sound to the receiver in the phone!!

I had the same problem you did with iPhone 4, iOS version 4.2.1. Your fix did not work for me but I did a restore and then re-synced my content (did not restore from the backup) and this fixed my problem.

pkiula

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Same problem.

Restoring etc didn't help. I've also been inserting the earphones in and taking them out all afternoon. About 200 times. Very delicately, so as not to CAUSE a problem more than solving it.

No luck.

PhoneView etc are nice useful apps, but utterly useless for restoring content back (like SMS messages and all). Nor did they solve any problem.

What else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.