Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hey! Okay, so, I am getting a new mac soon. What I am doing is for christmas I am asking my parents for Apple Gift Cards, or money so I can buy my new mac. I'm getting a refurbished one, because theyr isn't anything wrong with them. I had a hour long discussion with the guy on the phone, and he told me that there isn't any difference, most people just want wanted a different computer, and I don't really care, as long as it's a mac from Apple. lol
So, I want a computer that is going to stay into date the longest, and one they probably aren't going to make a new model of alot, so my computer won't be like 100000000 generations behind in like a year. I think the macbook air is the one they don't update a lot.
The only reason I am on the fence about the Pro, is that there are rumors everywhere saying that there is going to be "a completely new model" in march.

So, I want a computer that is going to stay into date the longest, and one they probably aren't going to make a new model of alot, so my computer won't be like 100000000 generations behind in like a year. I think the macbook air is the one they don't update a lot.
The only reason I am on the fence about the Pro, is that there are rumors everywhere saying that there is going to be "a completely new model" in march.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
The rumors are exactly that. Nobody knows what the next update will bring. I think its gonna bring some cool stuff, I mean they can't have a MBA with a better screen resolution than the MBP. And I'm sure that it will be a great update, but here's the thing. The MBP updates about once a year. There are people with 2-3 year old MBP that are still GREAT. They aren't crap just because a newer model is made.

The MBA is only 2nd gen at this point, but there's no guarantee that with the increase in popularity they won't start updating far more often. The thing about the MBA is that it is fast, but for some people, underpowered. If you are just using it for normal stuff though it'll be fine.

I have never entertained the idea of the polycarbonate Macbook, so I can't really say anything about them. I have heard that if you don't keep some type of case/skin on them they will turn a yellowish tinge after a while. I don't know personally though.

seven7seven

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
Which one is 'going to get updated the most' should really not be a deciding factor in picking one of three very different machines.

If you want more performance - get a MBP
If you want cheaper and don't need as much performance - get a MB
If you want portability and are willing to pay for it, and don't need performance - get a MBA

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
Can't you wait until March?

Oh and, no matter how much they update it now, the current MBP lineup, even the 13 inch, will be more than enough for the average user for a good 4 years...

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Is the Macbook Air for Low Performance?

I can't decide on which of the three macbooks to buy, I wan the macbook air kinda because they update.make a new model of the other 2 macbooks at least once a year, but like only once every 3 years for the Air... but People are saying it's made portable so it has bad performace... is that true

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
Just get something that assesses your needs. If you're like myself and only use my MBP to email, safari and light gaming then the current mbp's will be fine.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Based on reviews I have read, it is hardly "Low Performance" for normal use. The SSD makes it very fast.

However if you intend to do video editing it will probably be too underpowered...video editting taxes the CPU in a strong way, and the best MBA only has a 2.13Ghz C2D. It would still do it, but it would be slow.

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
I can't decide on which of the three macbooks to buy, I wan the macbook air kinda because they update.make a new model of the other 2 macbooks at least once a year, but like only once every 3 years for the Air... but People are saying it's made portable so it has bad performace... is that true

It depends on what your do with the computer. If it is basic safari, email, itunes then any mbp will be fine. If you are gaming, video editing and encoding then the mba will be too slow. It all depends on what you do.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I wouldn't buy a macbook air for heavy video editing but for regular photo editing, light photoshop use, light iMovie use, iPhoto ect, and everyday computing tasks the air will more than suffice. Mine is really quite zippy, but I don't do anything super intensive on it.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Is this Macbook Pro good for video editing? Gaming?

I am getting A macbook or macbook pro, but some people are telling me that the 13 inch, the only one I can get, is not good for video editing, or gaming (Like sims 3 gaming, Lol) here are the specs Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD,Built-in battery (10 hours)2
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

and is this computer a good long lasting computer? I'm right now being told by my friend that the Intel Core 2 Duo will be gone soon and 2.4 sucks...?????

I mean that I want it to be still compatible with the latest thing, and not look like a dinasour like my 06 blackbook. I thought the macbook pro was top of the line excellence, but I guess not. I might as well go with a PC, sounds like everyone is says it's not good for heavy video editing, its disappointing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The MacBook Air would be a significant step up from your black MacBook. It has a better processor and front side bus, a fast SSD, and better integrated graphics. The current version is also a significant step up from the first MacBook Airs, despite the superficial similarities in technical specifications.

The 13" MacBook Air compares quite favorably to the 13" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro. That said, the 15" MacBook Pro trounces the MacBook Air at just about every task, particularly if you opt for an SSD drive. It's a lot bigger, though.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
LOL just a note, you can edit threads to add extra info...No need to make multiple threads for the same question. It makes the mod's job difficult.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
d. need more info.

The sims. It'll probably play fine. Video editing? Video editing what? lowres clips of a newborn to be emailed to grandma or pulling down uncompressed footage from a Red One that needs to be ready to go by the next day.

And wat is long lasting. like, usability? Depends on your usage. If you just surf the web and other boring things, it can last you a while. If you want to play the latest games and such, don't expect it to last.

cootersgarage6

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
So, everyones saying the MBP sucks??? I'm confused...

Okay, so I Always thought the macbook pro was going to be the top of the line comptuer from apple, really really fast and powerful, like a macbook on steriods.. now people on here are informing me that "they won't last long" if I want to play low end games, and run the newest software. and it's "just good for light editing and light light games" I'm really confused.. sounds like apples behind now. I always loved apple, thought there computers were GREAT, now they look pity. .
I'm not saying they are, but I'm starting to believe that now since these comments IM TALKING ABOUT THE 13 INCH MACBOOK PRO, 13 INCH. Lol.........So is it even any different from the freaking regular macbook? or is it still good for sometimes gaming, getting newest software, and video editing.?????

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
LOL Even the 13" MBP is leaps and bounds beyond the Macbook or Macbook Air in power. It is due for an update, as the recent MBA update has higher resolution and SSD, but it isn't going anywhere.

I have the 2009 13"MBP and it does NOT suck. I love this thing and won't be updating unless the next 13" MBP update is BIG.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... now people on here are informing me that "they won't last long" if I want to play low end games, and run the newest software. and it's "just good for light editing and light light games" I'm really confused.. sounds like apples behind now.
Do you believe everything people tell you? Whoever's telling you that has no idea what they're talking about. Ignore them. My 2 1/2 year old MBP still runs circles around anything I ever owned that ran Windows. No matter what you buy, there will always be something newer, faster, cheaper, etc., but this is a great machine. YMMV

By the way, it's not necessary to start 6 threads to discuss your buying decision. One thread will do.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
The Macbook has a white Polycarbonate body, and the Pro has an aluminum body. The Macbook starts at 2GB ram, the Pro starts at 4... Besides the Macbook, and the Pro line, are on different update schedules. The Pro is due to be updated again, but I think they are waiting on certain technologies to be ready.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The 13" MBP is a fairly capable machine. That said, it is lagging behind its larger siblings hardware wise. It's still using a C2D processor and has an inferior graphics card. Sandy Bridge will hopefully change that though for those shopping for a 13" notebook.

Blue Angels

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
It is quite subjective experience, and I believe nothing is perfect in that sense. But based on my observation in the past years and hands-on experience, powerbook and macbook pro family are super nice laptops.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wow the opening post is ridiculously immature.
There is no need to put a billion question marks and call inanimate objects "gay"

Yes the Macbook and Macbook Pro 13" are very similar, however the MBP 13" has a unibody chasis made out of aluminum, a backlight keyboard, SD card reader, ability to use Apple remote, more RAM, screen with more gamut (so I hear).

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010

Get a MBA. You already have a MacBook (saw sig) so make the leap and have fun.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Additionally, the MacBook Pro maxes out at 8GB of RAM, whereas the MacBook maxes at 4GB, which means the MBP has a much longer life expectancy. The MBP also has FireWire 800, whereas the MacBook is limited to USB2.

These were the reasons I bought the pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.