Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhou85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Hi all,

I have trouble booting from the Snow Leopard Installation Disk.

My MacbookPro is 15" mid 2010 i7

I was able to boot into the OS perfectly fine and read the disk properly and reboot into verbose mode and found that it is stuck while loading extensions.mkext

Here is the symptom
IMG_20101201_012406.jpg

I can boot up to OSX and use it without a problem, also bootcamp works. My mbp is updated with everything. I am certain that my disk is not the problem and I have successfully installed the OS onto momentus XT after I purchased the mpb back in july. (I believe the SMC/EFI has been updated AFTER july? so could it be a problem?)

here is what I have tried,

- I restored the disk onto a USB flashdrive and still gets stuck with usb
- I tried the disk and usb on another mac and it boot up fine.
- I reset PRAM / SMC / RAM(by swapping them)
- I tried a different hard drive.
- I used Techtool Pro and everything is fine.
- I bought it to genius bar and they ran diagnostic and couldn't find anything wrong, and they tried with their firewire drive to install and it is the same thing.
They want to send in my machine but I need it for my project until the end of semester.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

yamamushi

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
I'm having this exact same issue. I also don't have the original restoration cd's that came with my macbook pro, so I was trying to use the snow leopard install cd from last year.

Something tells me that this could be resolved if I had the original cd's that came with my macbook, but I will update with my findings after my return from the genius bar in the morning.

dslade09

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2010
Make sure that the OSX disk is 10.6.3 or higher. The 2010 generation Macbook Pro's have to use that current disk to boot (off disk) to because of drivers.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Most 2010 Macs will need 10.6.4 retail or higher to boot. The version of 10.6.3 bundled with the computers has drivers not included in the retail version (because they didn't exist when the discs were pressed).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.