Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
I have searched the web and not found an answer to this.

Up until about 3 days ago, iPhone 4 camera took AMAZING pictures. Now, EVERYTHING is blurry except rear facing camera photos. Unless I am within 4 inches of the shot. For example, it is taking GREAT pictures of the texture of my Levi's, but anything more than about 6 inches away looks horrible.

It is almost like I changed a setting somewhere, but pictures are BAD.

Still J/B and unlocked at 4.1, so not real interested in trying a 4.2 install. I do have by Blobs saved. Wondering if there is anything short of a software reinstall that I can try? Anyone else seen this problem?

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Looks like the camera is stuck in MACRO mode.

Try downloading another camera program and take a picture with it. See if that gives better results. This can help narrow down if the problem is with the camera or software.

Also, did u reboot the phone??

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Looks like the camera is stuck in MACRO mode.

Try downloading another camera program and take a picture with it. See if that gives better results. This can help narrow down if the problem is with the camera or software.

Also, did u reboot the phone??

Yeah I have re-booted the phone. I actually turn it off each night and I have also done a hard re-start.

What do you recommend for another camera program? Preferably a free one :)

Thanks for your help!

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah I have re-booted the phone. I actually turn it off each night and I have also done a hard re-start.

What do you recommend for another camera program? Preferably a free one :)

Thanks for your help!

Tell you the truth, I haven't tried any other camera programs, but just type it in APP Store and see what comes up. Pretty much anything free will do.

Make sure you clean your lense too with a clean dry cloth. If you have lense cleaning solution (or light soapy water), use that.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Tell you the truth, I haven't tried any other camera programs, but just type it in APP Store and see what comes up. Pretty much anything free will do.

Make sure you clean your lense too with a clean dry cloth. If you have lense cleaning solution (or light soapy water), use that.

So I downloaded to different camera apps and cleaned the lens. Still blurry as crap.

Wondering if a 4.1 reinstall will help? Hate to take to Apple and end up with an un-jailbreakable 4.2.1 unit :(

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
So I downloaded to different camera apps and cleaned the lens. Still blurry as crap.

Wondering if a 4.1 reinstall will help? Hate to take to Apple and end up with an un-jailbreakable 4.2.1 unit :(

Still waiting-anyone else know how to re-set the camera? Software reinstall is not sounding fun at this time :(

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Sorry I missed the last update...

So yeah, you tried the a secondary camera software. Cleaned the lense.

Have you tried the front facing camera? Does it have the same issue?

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
You're having a really weird issue. I can't think of any reason why the camera is stuck in MACRO mode.

Try one more thing....

Turn on the camera app and try to spot focus. (Touch you finger on the center of the screen) The camera will try to focus on the stop you pointed to. Let's see if that works and focuses the camera.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
You're having a really weird issue. I can't think of any reason why the camera is stuck in MACRO mode.

Try one more thing....

Turn on the camera app and try to spot focus. (Touch you finger on the center of the screen) The camera will try to focus on the stop you pointed to. Let's see if that works and focuses the camera.

Yep done that too. I give up. I guess I am going to try and restore my custom 4.1 ipsw. I have not had problems until about a week ago. I am thinking one of the apps I use messed up MS somewhere.

Anyone had good luck in restoring 4.1 using tiny umbrella? The process doesn't look too bad.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Yep done that too. I give up. I guess I am going to try and restore my custom 4.1 ipsw. I have not had problems until about a week ago. I am thinking one of the apps I use messed up MS somewhere.

Anyone had good luck in restoring 4.1 using tiny umbrella? The process doesn't look too bad.

Trust me I know how you feel. I would be super reluctant to restore my phone right now. Just in case it gets updated and there is no jailbreak out for it right now.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help than that....

limanews

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
It really is an easy fix

First of all if you replaced your screen and have had this happen it is because you need to replace both cameras, not just one both with new.
If you have replaced your cameras and are having this problem firstly you need to purchase quality cameras, pay a little more and get better, second if you did purchase inexpensive ones look at them very closely, Why you ask.
Well it seems when they ship new the front elements are not screwed in tight.
Just use a very small pair of needle nose pliers and screw them down, the lenses are in a black plastic ring that needs to be screwed down.

The back camera usually comes with the elements not screwed in tightly.
But I have also had it on the front camera.... just remember to screw them in easily as they can be damaged easily..
Again if this doesn't help replace them both with new cameras.
Usually solves the problem after a screen change.
Changing the cameras also usually fixes the no camera problem also after a screen change.

Enigmafan420

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Puget Sound, U.S.A.
Umm-Oaky?!?

First of all if you replaced your screen and have had this happen it is because you need to replace both cameras, not just one both with new.
If you have replaced your cameras and are having this problem firstly you need to purchase quality cameras, pay a little more and get better, second if you did purchase inexpensive ones look at them very closely, Why you ask.
Well it seems when they ship new the front elements are not screwed in tight.
Just use a very small pair of needle nose pliers and screw them down, the lenses are in a black plastic ring that needs to be screwed down.

The back camera usually comes with the elements not screwed in tightly.
But I have also had it on the front camera.... just remember to screw them in easily as they can be damaged easily..
Again if this doesn't help replace them both with new cameras.
Usually solves the problem after a screen change.
Changing the cameras also usually fixes the no camera problem also after a screen change.

I took it to Genius Bar and got a new phone...

Thanks for the advice, seems really over my head for a $200 phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.