Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I have the kindle app?

I also have a few free old eBooks in .mobi format.

I can't seem to work out how I get these .mobi files onto the iPad for viewing with the Kindle app.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I have the kindle app?

I can't seem to work out how I get these .mobi files onto the iPad for viewing with the Kindle app.

You can't. You need to convert them to ePub and use the iBooks app. Kindle app is for Amazon book purchases only. No way to get them on there. Trust me, I've tried. So now I use iBooks for my ePubs and the Kindle app for books I've bought through Amazon.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
You can't. You need to convert them to ePub and use the iBooks app. Kindle app is for Amazon book purchases only. No way to get them on there. Trust me, I've tried. So now I use iBooks for my ePubs and the Kindle app for books I've bought through Amazon.

OMG.......... Unbelievable :(

Thanks for letting me know before I wasted more time trying to find out.

I'd growing to massively hate the way Apple, Kindle etc etc are doing things these days.

Things that should take seconds to do are being deliberately difficult.

I know from the past, things were difficult as you were pushing the boundaries of technology, but you normally got there in the end.

But now they have the ability to make them simple and they and choosing to make things hard for users.

Looks like I'm going to have to see if I can convert them.

Squadleader

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Avalon Hill
I have the kindle app?

Calibre converts the file and will email it to your Kindle or you can hook it up to your computer...Excellent free software..also check out mobilereader.com great advice there as well....

MacRumer

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Dropbox!

Calibre's interesting, but why bother - especially if you have Dropbox on your iPad.

Put the .mobi file in your Dropbox then open it via the Dropbox app on your iPad. Dropbox doesn't natively view .mobi files, but you can launch the Kindle app.

You'll need to use the upper right hand arrow icon which'll ask you what app you want to use to open the .mobi file, at which point you'll be presented with a little menu and the Kindle app's icon.

Voila!

Dazd

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
Well this is how I do it, it works and it's easy. Hook your iPad to the PC or mac so iTunes opens, open up your iPad in iTunes, go to apps, scroll down then find kindle, click on it and you'll have a box to the right, drag the mobi files into there and they will be put into the kindle app.

I use calibre to convert to mobi and edit the front page image etc.

Easy peasy :)

HTH

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Calibre converts the file and will email it to your Kindle or you can hook it up to your computer...Excellent free software..also check out mobilereader.com great advice there as well....

That is what I have also done - so many years of ebooks reading from plain text on HP200LX through practically every brand PDA since ... no way I wanted to lose all of that!

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I did this just by going into iTunes, selecting my iPad, going to Apps, choosing Kindle, and adding the files there. No conversion, no using anything else. Just synced and they uploaded right where they were supposed to be. No outside apps, nothing. Easy.

Smoothness

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Nj
I did this just by going into iTunes, selecting my iPad, going to Apps, choosing Kindle, and adding the files there. No conversion, no using anything else. Just synced and they uploaded right where they were supposed to be. No outside apps, nothing. Easy.

Yea im confused why everyone says its not possible

Hoyasaxa

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Yea im confused why everyone says its not possible
Agreed. It's about the easiest thing you can do.

One note, it may not be apparent where this feature is, but it is in the Apps tab of your ipad when it is hooked up to itunes. Scroll down to the bottom of the window and the file sharing window will be there.

jimvoorhies

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
It's not too hard to move a .mobi file to your iPad but you need Dropbox. Put the .mobi file in your dropbox folder. Open Dropbox on your iPad and tap the .mobi file. Dropbox will then let you export the file from Dropbox to Kindle.

sponch

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Email it to yourself and say open in kindle. That's it. People telling there is no way are just wrong.

afterhours

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2004
It's not too hard to move a .mobi file to your iPad but you need Dropbox. Put the .mobi file in your dropbox folder. Open Dropbox on your iPad and tap the .mobi file. Dropbox will then let you export the file from Dropbox to Kindle.

As several others have pointed out, you do NOT need anything other than iTunes.

Hook up your iPhone, download the Kindle app from the App store, add it to the iPhone with a sync, then select the iPhone in iTunes to manage it. Select the Apps tab in iTunes for the iPhone. Scroll to the bottom half of the window (below the Sync Apps section) to the File Sharing section. Click once on the Kindle app in that list and there will be a Kindle Documents window on the right where one can drag/drop .mobi files directly into your library.

No need to hack the phone, manually go into hidden folders on the Mac or any other madness. Explore iTunes -- your options and solution are readily there.

helengrace8

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Well this particular is exactly how I do so, it functions plus it's effortless. Hook your individual iPad in order to the Computer or simply mac thus iTunes opens, open up a iPad inside iTunes, go in order to apps, scroll down afterward select kindle, mouse click on it and in addition you'll include a container to the appropriate, drag the particular mobi data back into indeed there plus they is put into the kindle app.

I make use of calibre to be able to convert to mobi and additionally edit the actual front page image etc.

For more information on kindle just read here >>>>>>.... kindle

Dickison

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Another easy way to get .mobi files into iPad/iPhone

Another easy way to get .mobi files into your iPad/iPhone is just email yourself with the file attached. Open the mail on your iPad/iPhone and open the attachment.

lizphan

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Honestly the easiest way I've found is just to email the .mobi files to myself and open my email on my ipad/phone and a prompt will come up to open the file using the kindle app.

Simple, but it works perfectly.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Well this is how I do it, it works and it's easy. Hook your iPad to the PC or mac so iTunes opens, open up your iPad in iTunes, go to apps, scroll down then find kindle, click on it and you'll have a box to the right, drag the mobi files into there and they will be put into the kindle app.

Easy peasy :)

HTH

Or just email it to yourself and open the attachment in the Kindle app.

This is all you have to do. People shouldn't emphatically say something can't be done if they don't know for sure; I've pulled files off of my physical Kindle by connecting it to my computer and then dragging/dropping the books I had there onto my iPad in iTunes.

No need for conversion, it works fine.

simmo0916

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
South Wales
Hopefully the OP didnt just stop reading this thread at this:

...and read this:

Originally Posted by Dazd

Easy peasy

HTH

This has NEVER been an issue. It has always been really simple. I use calibre for my book library (for converting and formatting - Im OCD like that) and then just drag the contents onto the iPad via iTunes.

Enjoy your pain free, easy reading on iPad.

locomocean

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Move mobi files to kindle app

Hi.
You cant actually move the files but you can get them on to your kindle app.

When you have your ipad connected to your mac on itunes go to the apps tab at the top of the screeen.

Scroll down the list of apps until you get to a list of apps under, file sharing.

Click on the kindle app and then click add.
Find the files you want to add and click on them then click open and they will appear on you kindle app on your ipad.

Hope this works for you, I have lots of books which I have added this way and have had no problems. i even get the covers appearing as well.

All the best with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.