Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satellitecentra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
My wife's iPhone 4 (4 months old) suddenly today stopped making any sound when either making or receiving calls , what i mean to be clear is , you can make a call it connects and there is no sound from the ear piece or speaker and the called party can not hear anything.
It receives calls fine , but again , when you answer the call there is no sounds at all.
Its almost like the mic an speaker aren't working at all, but yet the phone functions perfectly in every other way , WiFi , ipod, email, everything works , and yes when its used to play music or video it works fine ?, just when making or receiving calls no sound at all
In other words Everything works BUT the actual phone , we took it to the local AT&T Store (Waste of time an effort ) just to be given the 800 number for Apple .
Spent an hour on the phone with Apple , tried all their suggestions , did a restore , but still nothing , they say it will have to sent back .
The phone is in Perfect condition , has been in a case from the min it was bought, has never been dropped or exposed to water damage , not even the slightest mark on any part, and as i said , everything works perfect , except for making an receiving calls
Just wondered has anyone else had anything like this happen ?

Satellitecentra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2010
Thanks for the reply , but that's one of the first things i did , in fact , i restored it twice now with the same result.

The unfortunate thing is i live at least 2 hours drive from the nearest Apple store :-( and between getting a day off work , a 4 hour round trip and gas its a real pain .
Local AT&T Store were completely USELESS, as expected
"Sorry don't know what to do , here is the Apple 800 number"

mikedj

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks for the reply , but that's one of the first things i did , in fact , i restored it twice now with the same result.

The unfortunate thing is i live at least 2 hours drive from the nearest Apple store :-( and between getting a day off work , a 4 hour round trip and gas its a real pain .
Local AT&T Store were completely USELESS, as expected
"Sorry don't know what to do , here is the Apple 800 number"

try to restore you iphone if it dont fix the problem send to apple warranty at fast you can

indieboy

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Hey Satellitecentra!!!

The same thing has happened to me! Like you there has been no water damage or any other kind of damage! The mic/speaker has suddenly stopped working when making/receiving calls! I know this because last night I retrieved a voicemail before I went to bed. I woke up this morning and I had more voicemails from friends calling to wish me 'Merry Christmas' but the weird thing was I couldn't hear any connections. It was only when my partner called me I figured it was a handset issue!

I'm gonna have to take it in to the Apple store after Christmas but so annoying! What is also annoying is the amount of replies you've had saying to 'restore the factory defaults', I mean do these people not read? And they keep on posting it after you point out that you did...twice! I read wish some people would read, think, think, and think again before they reply sometimes.​

xoselo

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
IPhone no sounds on calls

Hi guys, I have the exact problem you have with the IPhone 4. As you had this problem few days before me it is possible that you already found a solution other than restoring the factory settings or going to the Apple Store. My device is jailbroken so I would hesitate to take it to the Apple Store.
Anticipated thanks for your help in this issue.

edwin32290

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
same problem!!

i have the same problem ! don't worry, i thought i was the only one ! i'm so glad u posted this up ! but as for me, i have my iPhone 4 jail-broken so i'm scared on taking to them !. i need a way to fix it !! and yes you're right restoring it does nothing but waste my time. some body plz help ..

raerae7979

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
no sound for in or outgoing calls

This just started on my phone today... The phone works perfectly except for the actually phone lol, no sound in or out... but music and all other options work fine,,,,
tried restore, going to update it when i get home... I'm hoping somebody was able to fix the problem but so far all the other posts do not end in a resolution... please let me know if there is a trick to this problem...

Thanks and Good luck to those with the same issue!
:confused:

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
My phone just started doing this out of no where. I've had it for about a month and a half and it worked flawlessly until a few days ago.

I don't have many choices as I am using it with T-Mobile. I've rebooted the phone numerous times, tried the headphone trick and called my other phone at least 45 times trying to get this problem fixed.

The phone worked fine for the first 10 calls then started to have the issue after that and the problem happens every other time now.

I guess I'll have to go back to my Android phone for now because I can't miss important work calls or have to "call back" my DM when he calls. :(

It seems to be a software issue as my iPhone on 4.2x a few months back never had any issues what so ever. I'm trying to get my current device on iOS 5.x to see what happens but that isn't working out too well either.

Farnzy

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Fix

Hey there 90% of the time the issue is not software it is the audio chip on the mother board, that's why you cannot restore or update the phone to fix it. It can be fixed but u need to dismantle the phone to do so. If you feel up to pulling it apart to fix it let me know and I'll try and talk u through it I am new to this so I'm sorry if I don't respond as I didnt know if I had an email

cobunny

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
What finally worked for me:

I posted this elsewhere (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3075927?start=0&tstart=0) But as I had looked here for help initially I wanted to share what worked for me. Hope it helps.
I had all these same problems/symptoms. If, after receiving an incoming call or having someone pick up on an outgoing call, I hit the speakerphone button then I could complete the call with speakerphone. I spent three hours at the Apple store only to be told it was a hardware issue and that I could live with it or buy a new phone. I decided to live with it but it quickly became a pain to always have to use speakerphone with calls. If you have the same problem-I may have an answer. I tried EVERYTHING I found online and nothing worked for me until I found my answer by accident. I was trying to listen to a voice mail someone left when I realized I had the same problem for VM's as I did for calls. I hit the speaker button inside VM (upper right corner) so I could at least hear the VM. One day while listening to a VM this way I got really mad and hit the speaker button 4-5 times in a row as I was very angry! It ended on speaker off but as I went to hit the button again I could hear a little bit out of the earpiece! I quickly hit the sound up button on the side of the phone and turned the sound way up and it was working! It lasted about three calls and then stopped working again. When it stopped during a call I tried hitting the speaker button a few times on the keypad during the call but it didn't work so I finished the call on speaker. As soon as the call was over I went into VM, played an old VM and hit the speaker button there until it started working again. It took about 7 times but did work! This time it lasted over a wekk then I went through the whole process again. This third time has now lasted 2 months and is still working perfectly for me. I know this is long but if it works for anyone else it's worth it! I don't know why the speaker button on calls didn't fix it, only in VM and maybe it will be different for others, but I'm convinced it is some weird software issue and until they solve it, I have this little trick working for me. Good Luck!

JohnCC

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
What worked for me - Cell Call, No Sound either way

I had no sound either way on cell calls (headphones, ear speaker, load speaker, external dock, bluetooth all nothing just silence) but every other sound app worked fine.
With thanks to a previous post here I focussed on the referenced audio chip. I found this link http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/...people-cant-hear-me-i-cant-hear-other-people/
The paper/foam wedge didn't work but 5seconds heating the chip (to resolder it) did work.

tort11

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
Make sure the volume isn’t turned down to the end and Make sure your external speakers or stereo are turned on and working properly.

edgarinsky

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
It Works!!!

Thanks! Just press the speaker button, several time. And Voilá!

I posted this elsewhere (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3075927?start=0&tstart=0) But as I had looked here for help initially I wanted to share what worked for me. Hope it helps.
I had all these same problems/symptoms. If, after receiving an incoming call or having someone pick up on an outgoing call, I hit the speakerphone button then I could complete the call with speakerphone. I spent three hours at the Apple store only to be told it was a hardware issue and that I could live with it or buy a new phone. I decided to live with it but it quickly became a pain to always have to use speakerphone with calls. If you have the same problem-I may have an answer. I tried EVERYTHING I found online and nothing worked for me until I found my answer by accident. I was trying to listen to a voice mail someone left when I realized I had the same problem for VM's as I did for calls. I hit the speaker button inside VM (upper right corner) so I could at least hear the VM. One day while listening to a VM this way I got really mad and hit the speaker button 4-5 times in a row as I was very angry! It ended on speaker off but as I went to hit the button again I could hear a little bit out of the earpiece! I quickly hit the sound up button on the side of the phone and turned the sound way up and it was working! It lasted about three calls and then stopped working again. When it stopped during a call I tried hitting the speaker button a few times on the keypad during the call but it didn't work so I finished the call on speaker. As soon as the call was over I went into VM, played an old VM and hit the speaker button there until it started working again. It took about 7 times but did work! This time it lasted over a wekk then I went through the whole process again. This third time has now lasted 2 months and is still working perfectly for me. I know this is long but if it works for anyone else it's worth it! I don't know why the speaker button on calls didn't fix it, only in VM and maybe it will be different for others, but I'm convinced it is some weird software issue and until they solve it, I have this little trick working for me. Good Luck!

scabioustona

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Canada
My wife's iPhone 4 (4 months old) suddenly today stopped making any sound when either making or receiving calls , what i mean to be clear is , you can make a call it connects and there is no sound from the ear piece or speaker and the called party can not hear anything.
It receives calls fine , but again , when you answer the call there is no sounds at all.
Its almost like the mic an speaker aren't working at all, but yet the phone functions perfectly in every other way , WiFi , ipod, email, everything works , and yes when its used to play music or video it works fine ?, just when making or receiving calls no sound at all
In other words Everything works BUT the actual phone , we took it to the local AT&T Store (Waste of time an effort ) just to be given the 800 number for Apple .
Spent an hour on the phone with Apple , tried all their suggestions , did a restore , but still nothing , they say it will have to sent back .
The phone is in Perfect condition , has been in a case from the min it was bought, has never been dropped or exposed to water damage , not even the slightest mark on any part, and as i said , everything works perfect , except for making an receiving calls
Just wondered has anyone else had anything like this happen ?

I know this sounds obvious but have you upgraded to the latest iOS? I had the same problem but it went away when I upgraded to newest version.

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
All these posts, and no solution - how come no one has tried to do a restore?

:p Sorry, couldn't resist...

Graue

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
This solved my problem and worked for me. Sounds weird but believe me it's true

when your iPhone is stuck in headphone mode (you can check by pressing the volume button and see if it displays "headphone volume" and if sound is only working with headphones) : Just suck the headphone jack as hard as you can and this will solve the problem.

ashutoshjack

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
No sound from earpiece while making/receiving Calls

Dear scabioustona, I also have the same problem as yours from last 2 days and while searching for a solution saw your post on the web.

I am using a iPhone 4 from last 1.5 years without any problem, recently I shifted to a new place and had to change the service provider, and then had problems with Signals coming and going at that point somebody advised me to get my iPhone factory unlocked to work with all the service providers and I did that a week back and the new service provider worked fine for a week.

I upgraded to new iOS 6.0.1 while getting it unlocked from JMunlocks.

Now since last 2 days I have this new issue where when I receive or make calls then there is no voice in earpiece as well as speaker, I connected the headphones as well but that also did not work.

Please let me know if you have been able to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Jack..

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
A lot of folks have had problems taking calls via bluetooth handsfree. It depends on the make of the radio (or make of the car with the same radios depending on how you want to look at it. A solution was posted in the Apple Discussion forum and it works for me (Honda 2013 CR-V no NAVI).

Bruce2125 wrote:I have discovered a workaround for the issue which may be of use to other IOS6/iPhone5 users. I found that by going to Preferences/General/Accessibility/Physical and Motor/Incoming Calls and changing it from Default to Headset forces the iPhone to use the 'Headset' if one is available for incoming calls. As the bluetooth speaker on the handsfree is effectively a 'Headset' incoming calls are directed to the bluetooth speaker. When the phone is out of the car and the handsfree disconnects itself the phone behaves normally.

Andrewrx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
No restore! I fix it ! It is the noise redaction sensor and a screw. Just see my guide http://youtu.be/C_Q8GCRaWfU thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.