Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
Hello everyone.

I've received my ultimate 13" MBA. Everything is so great with it, except for the creaking sound occasionally coming from the right corner of the laptop, where I put my palm when typing. It also creaks sometimes when I lift it up from the right side.

I know its not a major issue, but for me it's annoying and distracting. I cannot feel the joy of a newly bought macbook air which I've wanted badly, because of that creaking.

I've seen various threads on this forum regarding that, and I would like to ask once more, could I be eligible for a replacement because of that "minor" issue? Or could it be repaired (the screws tightened)?

I bought it while I was in Singapore and now I'm in Europe and my country doesn't have a "real" Apple Store like the UK and the States, but we have authorized retailers. I went to the retailer yesterday and he advised me to call apple support for my country, because he thinks it will be more effective (retailers also get rejected sometimes).

The warranty is worldwide so I guess there shouldn't be trouble with that. The question is whether this issue is known to Apple and acceptable for them to take measures. I'm a bit afraid to get a response like "this is not a defect, live with it".

It would be great if the guys who got theirs replaced to tell their experience, and the ones who called the support.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the repeating thread subject.

Last edited:

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
creak

if you're getting a creak from just laying your hand on it, then replace it. I have to pick mine up for it to creak and it annoys me. still can't decide if it's bad enough to return it though or if it's to be expected with a machine made of aluminum and this thin.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
if you're getting a creak from just laying your hand on it, then replace it. I have to pick mine up for it to creak and it annoys me. still can't decide if it's bad enough to return it though or if it's to be expected with a machine made of aluminum and this thin.

sorry, forgot to mention that it also creaks when I lift it up from the right side.
it's not that bad and doesn't happen all the time, but every time I put my hand on it or lift it up, I'm waiting for it to creak. And that gets me really disappointed.

I feel the same, superdudeo. Can't decide whether it's bad enough to start the whole support calling process. But I guess it is, because it distracts me and makes me feel disappointed.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
yes I've just noticed the same thing. at the front on the right corner. in fact after a little playing with it I think mine is a little loose. at this price I expect better. may have to book genius appt.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
yes I've just noticed the same thing. at the front on the right corner. in fact after a little playing with it I think mine is a little loose. at this price I expect better. may have to book genius appt.

it's a great thing to have a real Apple Store with a genius around. Please post your experience later. And I would have to call the phone support.

Anyone else, people? Please post your experiences and thoughts on this issue. Thank you.

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
I have had the same issue. Mac Genius agreed but told me my replacement would probably do the same. It didn't. My new air probably creak one out of every ten times i pick it up in the corner and it is a softer less noticeable creak. Before it was every time. The hinge now seems tighter also.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
I have had the same issue. Mac Genius agreed but told me my replacement would probably do the same. It didn't. My new air probably creak one out of every ten times i pick it up in the corner and it is a softer less noticeable creak. Before it was every time. The hinge now seems tighter also.

thanks for your feedback, gonzoguy24. Well, mine also doesn't creak every single time when i put my hand or take it from the right side, it's like I said, occasionally. So the new one could also be creaky.. disappointing. Have you checked the new on in the store and tell the genius about it?

The hinge seems alright, but the occasional creaking annoys me. I'd LOVE to get rid of it and get 100% satisfaction of my new Mac.

Last edited:

gonzoguy24

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2010
thanks for your feedback, gonzoguy24. Well, mine also doesn't creak every single time when i put my hand or take it from the right side, it's like I said, occasionally. So the new one could also be creaky.. disappointing. Have you checked the new on in the store and tell the genius about it?

The hinge seems alright, but the occasional creaking annoys me. I'd LOVE to get rid of it and get 100% satisfaction of my new Mac.

Then do exactly that. You deserve 100% satisfaction for $1,500 or whatever you spent exactly.

My new one did NOT creak like EVER. Only every so often I hear a VERY quiet creak. The genius said all of em do it but that mine did it more. I demanded a replacement and I got it. Now it is all good. I suggest you do the same!

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
I got a creak too, but I'm trying to ignore it. It's a hassle to get a new one that may have other problems and will probably creak down the line too. Mine made no sound for the first few weeks. It's not that big of a deal and with how slim this thing is it seems like it can't be that solid. It's still an amazing computer and worth the money.

s2dio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Riga, Latvia
I got a creak too, but I'm trying to ignore it. It's a hassle to get a new one that may have other problems and will probably creak down the line too. Mine made no sound for the first few weeks. It's not that big of a deal and with how slim this thing is it seems like it can't be that solid. It's still an amazing computer and worth the money.

Looks like exactly my situation. Trying to ignore it, but on the other hand, I'd be happy as can be if the creaking problem was solved.

The replacement could have other problems, but anyway, there should be a lot more "right" laptops out there. Couldn't be that each 2nd laptop is defected in some way!

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee

+1 trying to ignore the creak. It's annoying, but my Air is otherwise absolutely perfect and the creaking doesn't happen all the time anyway. Wouldn't want to go to the trouble of seeking a replacement (usually not a pleasant experience with Apple products) just to get another one that creaks (the problem seems common enough) or has my worst peeve of all, dead pixels. I've returned a LOT of Apple laptops over the years because I was so anal about absolute perfection from such an expensive product, and I've decided it's time to stop that behavior and learn to just use and enjoy the machine.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I would let it go. Not excusing Apple on this one, but if you get an exchange and it has other issues such as a dead or stuck pixel then the creaking issue won't be such a big deal. Apple isn't terribly forgiving for only one stuck pixel. They will either make you keep it or pay a restocking fee to exchange it. SOME people get lucky but not everyone.

Neuronal

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
Just to share my experience, I too have a creaky Air 13" ultimate. I took it into my local Apple store, and they went in back, took out all the weird Torx screws (the first time they had ever done this), carefully reseated them, and then handed it back to me. It still creaks just a little, but it is way way better than before. What they told me was that because of the unusual shape of the bottom panel the screws don't go in straight - they go in at a slight angle, and they have to go in a specific order to keep the tension even. He said there is an Apple circular about how to correctly reseat the screws, and there must be some QC issue with the final assembly. The reseating worked fine for me - the Apple store dude told me to come back if it significantly recurs, but to date it seems more or less bearable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.