Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiirk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
It's the iPhone 4, had it since it was released my first problem... NON JAILBROKEN.

It was at about 40% battery with no where near enough for it to turn off.

Was sat next to me, and I checked it and it was off?

It won't turn back on, seems a little weird. Anybody else had this problem?

Happened just after I downloaded Camera+ APP

Nino313

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Detroit
Same thing happened to me a few days ago. I held the power+home buttons down for about 10 sec and it rebooted. Hope that helps

Kiirk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Just tried that, was about 15 seconds.

But it just seems weird, never done that before and it wouldn't even start charging or the computer wouldn't recognise an iphone in.

Much longer than the usual 5 seconds it takes to turn it on normally

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
This happened to my brother's iPhone 4 yesterday.

About 40% charged and it just turned itself off.

Had to hold Home + Lock for about 15 seconds.

mubo

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Mine did the same earlier??? Had to hold both buttons for 15 sec to get it to start up..

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Happened to me today around 1PM EST. I missed several calls as the phone had shut off without me knowing it. It was quite warm when I did get it out of the holster....I suspect that it might have overheated. It would not be the first time I have got the "heat warning" screen (while sitting in an air conditioned room).

dmorris01

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Mine did this today but it's no big deal since the proximity sensor combined with crappy BT renders it almost unusable as a phone.

Flipside186

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Same thing happened to me a week ago. Took it to apple. They ran their diagnostics and discovered a software corruption. Setting the phone up as new will likely fix it. Mine was replaced by apple.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
This happened on my 3GS last night. I thought my phone was toast! It is the only time I have had it happen to me. Maybe it is a iOS4 bug?

GemaMc89

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
..... :/

My iphone4 has just turned its self off as i was uploading a video onto facebook,.. i had to hold home + lock buttons for 15 sec and thank god it worked because i would be lost without it :D so thanks guys x

iZeeshan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
My phone has been doing this for a while.

It is jailbroken.

Recently however, I also dropped it and cracked.

Is there a way I can take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced because of the "hardware malfunction". Would I have to restore the phone all the way, because it's jailbroken?

Any tips?

iZeeshan

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
My phone has been doing this for a while.

It is jailbroken.

Recently however, I also dropped it and cracked.

Is there a way I can take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced because of the "hardware malfunction". Would I have to restore the phone all the way, because it's jailbroken?

Any tips?

Anyone have any info/advice?

Lulu-Belle

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2011
*phew* am I glad I found this forum!
Was on Safari last night & when I exited the phone just went blank & died! Thought the battery died (altho it was still green when I was surfing) but when I plugged it in to charge.... NADA! Just a blank screen! Left it in 2 charge nonetheless & this morning, still nothing! I was seriously panicking bcos I've only had it for about 6 wks.
Luckily I found this forum! Held home+power button for about 10s & voila, it came back to life! Thanks for the info, guys! :D

Tumblehawk

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Same issue, but power button is broken

I am having the same issue - got on the subway with 30% power left, got out of the subway 35 minutes later and my iPhone 3GS was dead and totally unresponsive.

Unfortunately for me holding down Home and Power isn't exactly an option as my Power button is completely broken and hasnt functioned for 4-5 months now.

Any ideas??

divinekelli

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Same thing happen to me, all of sudden it just turned off and it wouldn't respond to a charge on the wall, in my car, or on the computer. Finally, read the previous post and held the lock button and the home button for 15 seconds and it turned on! HOOORAY!

mia3377

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
iphone 4 shuts off, won't turn on

my 8 month old iphone 4 automatically shuts off and can't turn it on. the battery life was 30% by that time. thanks to this site, i followed what the others did when they experienced the same. i held the home and sleep button for 10-15 seconds and it came back to life!
i started to experience some problems when i upgraded it into ios5, it would hang up and then even if the phone is on, i could not receive a call or a text message. one time, i was wondering why half of the day i was not receiving any calls or messages and that is strange as i had calls coming everyday due to the nature of my business, so i grabbed my other phone and tried to ring my iphone and to my surprise it was like freezing. I can hear a ring on the phone im using but the iphone has no sound and nothing appears on the screen.
my concern is that do i need to take my iphone back to the apple store and complain for this kind of problem? does this problems harmful and could lead to a totally serious problem like i could not use my iphone anymore as it is totally dead?
please i need ur advice..
thanks so much!

brownrj1906

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Do you guys use Voxer?

Do you guys operate the app Voxer? Reason being is that my phone is having the same problem and didn't start til I started using that app.

ase1031

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
Help me please!

My girlfriend's iPhone 4 just shut off randomly and won't turn on. the phone had 42% left when it shut off. nothing was wrong with it and there was nothing that we can think of that would cause this to happen and it's not Jailbroke or anything. She plugged it into her laptop and it won't show up on iTunes. She also help the Home and Sleep button for over a minute and nothing happened. Please help me for ways that could help and what we should do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.