Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I don't understand what you guys mean by "getting your unlimited back"? I thought AT&T took that away and now you have to choose a plan...:confused:

Using the Original iPhone trick, search the boards....

EDIT: I average 1.3GB/month! Highest month ever was exactly 2GB....

Some of you, its crazy, it's like your phones are your sole source for the interwebs, kinda sad in a way....

Last edited:

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I changed my plan to the 200MB plan and have no problem staying within it. I average about 50MB with a high of 77MB a few months ago.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I don't understand what you guys mean by "getting your unlimited back"? I thought AT&T took that away and now you have to choose a plan...:confused:

That's accurate, but there have been some work arounds posted here at MR and other places that give people a means to get their unlimited data back if you are on AAT&T in the US. You can do a search of these threads for specific information.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
Humm..

09/2010 0.9gb (+ movistar 1.4gb)
10/2010 3.1gb
11/2010 3.9gb

It varies quite a lot between months, if I'm in north Europe I will use my iPhone to listen Spanish radio (eats 50-80% of monthly bandwith) through internet and if I'm in south I don't have to, thus lower bandwith use (being lazy and iPhone not having FM radio, I will sometimes do it in there too).

EDIT: I was traveling around last June and July so it seems I had 8.5gb at June and 9.1 at July. Phone (+ phone as modem) as only means to connect internet makes bandwith use quite high.

Last edited:

silentsim

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
I run on a 6GB monthly plan and only get to about 5-700mb's a month AT THE MOST. I never turn on Wi-Fi.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I use about 4.6 GB a month. Before Netflix, it was about 1.5 GB. I stream a lot of Slacker, DI Radio in my car. I feel so sorry for new Iphone users that have limited data plans. Having a limited data plan takes the fun out of owning an Iphone. I am glad I kept my unlimited plan. I get certainly get my $30.00 worth every month and then some. I use to have a subscription to XM satellite radio and after I discovered Slacker...well you know I kicked XM to the curb. Why pay a satellite subscription when Slacker plays the same genre of music??? Yes, I looooooove my unlimited data!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
1.4 gb was my highest I listen to alot of Pandora..Oh and I tether a bit.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I typically use about 200-250mb/month. The highest I've ever used in a month was 450mb. I don't use my phone a lot when I'm out, and if I do, I'm generally connected to a wifi network. I should also note I'm still on the unlimited data plan as well.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I use about 4.6 GB a month. Before Netflix, it was about 1.5 GB. I stream a lot of Slacker, DI Radio in my car. I feel so sorry for new Iphone users that have limited data plans. Having a limited data plan takes the fun out of owning an Iphone. I am glad I kept my unlimited plan. I get certainly get my $30.00 worth every month and then some. I use to have a subscription to XM satellite radio and after I discovered Slacker...well you know I kicked XM to the curb. Why pay a satellite subscription when Slacker plays the same genre of music??? Yes, I looooooove my unlimited data!

FYI, you dont buy into sirius or xm for music, you buy into them for the content they provide, Howard Stern, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA, Opie and Anthony, Oprah, Marth Stewart, Jim Breuer, Eminem, etc....you buy satelite radio for those types of things, the exclusive content, if you dont want those things, then why buy in the first place??? could've used slacker or pandora from the start...

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
FYI, you dont buy into sirius or xm for music, you buy into them for the content they provide, Howard Stern, NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA, Opie and Anthony, Oprah, Marth Stewart, Jim Breuer, Eminem, etc....you buy satelite radio for those types of things, the exclusive content, if you dont want those things, then why buy in the first place??? could've used slacker or pandora from the start...

Unfortunately, I did not own a Blackberry 3 years ago and I personally am not a fan of Howard Stern, NCAA, NHL, etc. I enjoyed it for the absence of commercials. I wish I had owned a smart phone years ago:)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Varies all over the place, from under 20MB to nearly 2GB, depending on how often, any particular month, I'm doing stuff away from wifi access points.

If there's free wifi around, I use it instead of 3G; because using wifi is usually a lot better for an iPhone's battery life.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
If I had unlimited I would just switch my wifi off.

I have some content through my service provider that is unlimited (some tv channels, stripped down version of facebook, etc) but I can only access these while connected via 3G. On the other hand I try to minimise my data usage by being on wifi when possible because I am on a prepaid service that allows me to rollover $ value if I don't use a lot of data. It annoys me going into setting all the time to switch wifi on and off.

Most months I use between 150 and 300MB

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Mine typically ranges from 6-8 gigs a month... though i hit 11.4 gigs last month. Bare in mind I travel away from home every week and never have wifi at the crappy hotels i stay (or their wifi is worse than the 3G)... I also have slingbox and use netflix EXTENSIVELY... if they ever took my unlimited away, I would be devestated!

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

i have Slacker Plus and cache all the stations i listen to. this way when i'm in the train 100 feet underground it still works. and it lets me customize the station to the point where it's almost like a playlist

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I use 1.5G - 2.5G a month. On average I would actually save money by using the capped 2G ATT plan. I stick with unlimited since my data usage is trending upwards over time.
The reason I even use this much is only because our office wifi is tightly filtered. My phone is my only means of unfettered internet access throughout the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.