Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Say, I have a PDF on a website, and I want to read it and take notes while I'm on a plane.

So I'm sitting in the airport with free WiFi, and the plane is boarding. I want to download the PDF so I can continue to view it and take notes in the Notes app on the plane.

Is this possible? Or do I need a computer (to download the PDF, then transfer it to the iPad via iTunes)?

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
In iOS 4.2 you navigate to a PDF in Safari, and when once it has loaded it completely, you can "open it with" you apps that support PDF viewing or file management.

I usually open the PDF and save it in GoodReader or iBooks.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
In iOS 4.2 you navigate to a PDF in Safari, and when once it has loaded it completely, you can "open it with" you apps that support PDF viewing or file management.

Perfect. I didn't see the "Open in iBooks" button at first since you have to tap the PDF to get it to show up.

Thanks!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Just want to point out that it also works also in iPad with iOS 3.2. (Size limit of maybe 10 or 15mb max?)

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
+1, worth it.

Another +1 for Goodreader. Definitely well worth it

You can also markup/highlight PDFs directly in Goodreader

Also, add DropBox + Goodreader and you've got a powerful combo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.